4 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

RootsMagic 4 data files are all accessible to work with, but the system tray icon goes to the Full and Essentials purchase message :(. To get to the files, I have to search for a file, then open File Location.
When I go through the control panel to see the list of programs available for un-installation, only one RM 4 is listed.

When I search for one of the four levels below, I get “No Match”. When I search for “Roots” I get three RM 4’s.
“Open File location” > a whole string of folders and I can go up one level till I reach “Computer” then back down through to . . . Program Files > RootsMagic 4AA > RootsMagic 4BB > RootsMagic 4CC > RootsMagic 4DD
I had renamed the folders by adding the double alphas.

I had thought I would try to construct a table in MS word, but there was no way to copy/paste the descriptions. Then I tried with screen shots, but I still ended up having to painstakingly typing the description in the table’s first field. Fields 2 through 5 were to place X’s in the cells under the four headers where appropriate.

My TEST and PLAY file was successfully restored into RM5. :)

Comments, anyone?

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8334 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

I'm really not sure if you are asking a question here. Do you have your default folders set in Tools>Program Options>Folders.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

I'm really not sure if you are asking a question here. Do you have your default folders set in Tools>Program Options>Folders.

Yes; Tools>Program Options>Folders >
C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\RM FAM TREES V4\Data
C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\RM FAM TREES V4\Backup
C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\RM FAM TREES V4\Multimedia
C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\RM FAM TREES V4\GEDCOM
C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\RM FAM TREES V4\Reports

Problem:
RootsMagic 4 Icon in Startup tray:
Left Click > Welcome “popup” > Ordering “popup” > no close button so CLICK RED X upper right corner > Second ordering popup w/o close button > CLICK RED X > EXITS
Where can I look next to find where the problem might be lurking! :unsure:
Could it be connected in some way with the fact that I can find four nested folders –
C:\Program Files\RootsMagic 4AA\RootsMagic 4BB\RootsMagic 4CC\RootsMagic 4DD
(As I mentioned earlier, these folders/sub folders originally did not contain their alpha suffixes; but I added them for my own clarification.)
and/or that
RootsMagic 4.1.1.3 and 5.0.3.1
are both in the uninstall/change program file.

No Problem:
Open search box > enter gpw > gpw V4 (at top of list) > RootsMagic News with gpw database in background. (I never did get around to checking “Do not show me this again”. At one time I think I had a reason, but I don’t remember what it was.) It's the first file (4A above) that I get when using this "No Problem" process.
RM FAM TREES V5... and (currently empty) subfolders are in the Desktop, along with PlaceDB- and RM5 Setups so I can't see how that would interfere with RM5.

Thanks much, Renee,

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

What files are inside C:\Program Files\RootsMagic 4AA (and 4BB, 4CC & 4DD) when you browse to them via Windows Explorer (or My Computer)? What version of Windows are you running?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

Could it be connected in some way with the fact that I can find four nested folders –
C:\Program Files\RootsMagic 4AA\RootsMagic 4BB\RootsMagic 4CC\RootsMagic 4DD
(As I mentioned earlier, these folders/sub folders originally did not contain their alpha suffixes; but I added them for my own clarification.)

You added the alpha suffixes for clarification of what? C:\Program Files\RootsMagic contains the system files necessary to run the program, and should *never* be renamed. They have nothing to do with your created databases (which are or should be in C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\RM FAM TREES V4\Data).

I'd suggest you just re-install RM4 with the default settings and see what happens.