18 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:07 AM

Nice touch with some of the new changes!
Just wondering tho, why the add new person screen defaults to living when most of us work on folks long since deceased?
Jack

a posteriori

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

Just wondering tho, why the add new person screen defaults to living when most of us work on folks long since deceased?

When I add people, I'm adding living people most often. There should be an option so we can set the default - living on, or living off - to keep everyone happy.
~ Debbie

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

Because it is better to err on the side of caution to protect the privacy of the living.

#4 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:29 AM

I think it is better to have an option so that users can have it the way they want. MVS.

#5 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

I think it is better to have an option so that users can have it the way they want. MVS.

I agree!

I believe that most of us are responsible people who know the difference between right and wrong.

Jack

a posteriori

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Laura is correct. It's RootsMagic's policy to err on the privacy side of things. The default is set to living for this reason. I have asked Bruce about an option for users to change the default in the past and he feels it is best left this way. Once you get used to the fact the setting is always one way it's a simple matter/habit to uncheck the box if you need to.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

Laura is correct. It's RootsMagic's policy to err on the privacy side of things. The default is set to living for this reason. I have asked Bruce about an option for users to change the default in the past and he feels it is best left this way. Once you get used to the fact the setting is always one way it's a simple matter/habit to uncheck the box if you need to.

So much for personal responsibility!
Jack

a posteriori

#8 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:37 AM

Gosh. There goes all the ideas of User controls and options!.

So I can vote, I can be a member of a jury, apply to be an MP, become Prime Minister, get a peerage and go to the House of Lords BUT I cannot have an option to decide the default setting of the Living Flag.

I am in the supermarket at the moment getting something to eat for dinner. Shall I get the meat or the fish? Perhaps I should ask Bruce? He can tell me what is safest. Hey Bruce ... shall I get the Waitrose Prime Fillet of Beef or the live Lobster?
Bruce, I am still waiting. Which one?

Bruce I am still waiting at the counter.

Ahh, I know, Bruce would want me to get the living crustacean rather than the dead meat. I didn't need to ask Bruce at all; the living Flag was the answer all along.
Now lets go and get some vegatables.....hmmm..they all appear to be dead.

Bruce....HELP !!!!!!!

MVS.

#9 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

Thanks very much for adding the Living flag to the Add new person screen. With it there, it's now much more difficult to gloss over it. You previously weren't able to access it until the Edit Person screen was displayed, so could miss it if not careful.

Given that the same defaulting behavior has occurred in the Edit Person screen for the flag, I suppose that I can accept the reasoning behind the box being checked as a default given the ramifications. Having to uncheck it manually in the Add new person screen comes into play if no death date, place, or cause (or burial date or place) is entered, but it's thought that the person is no longer living.

I'd like to request that the flag in the Add new person screen be unchecked once tabbing or clicking out of one of the completed fields that would cause that condition (death date, death place, death cause, burial date, or burial place information entered). The box currently remains checked in that screen, so it's not until the Edit Person screen pops up that the effect of the entered information can be seen.

Actually, one other minor change for consistency might be useful. In the Add new person screen, once you enter the date information in the field (31 Dec 2011, for example), the month name is expanded (31 December 2011) once you tab or click out of it, unlike in the Edit Person screen, in which it remains as entered.

#10 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

Gosh. There goes all the ideas of User controls and options!.

So I can vote, I can be a member of a jury, apply to be an MP, become Prime Minister, get a peerage and go to the House of Lords BUT I cannot have an option to decide the default setting of the Living Flag.

I am in the supermarket at the moment getting something to eat for dinner. Shall I get the meat or the fish? Perhaps I should ask Bruce? He can tell me what is safest. Hey Bruce ... shall I get the Waitrose Prime Fillet of Beef or the live Lobster?

Ahh, I know, Bruce would want me to get the living crustacean rather than the dead meat. I didn't need to ask Bruce at all; the living Flag was the answer all along.
Now lets go and get some vegatables.....hmmm..they all appear to be dead.

Bruce....HELP !!!!!!!

MVS.

MVS -- I like your humorous sarcasm (or is it sarcastic humor?) For some reason it reminded me of unproven words attributed to Sir Winston Churchill. He supposedly had ended a sentence with a preposition and was corrected by a woman in his audience. Sir Winston replied, "Madam, that is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put!" Must have been one of those "blue haired" ladies. :lol:

Cheers
Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

It does not seem that the Living checkbox on the Add Person screen does anything; it just reflects a good intention. Unchecking it does not result in the Living flag actually being saved as False. When you open the newly added person in the Edit Person screen, it is still checked (set to True). Here comes 5.0.3.1...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#12 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

It does not seem that the Living checkbox on the Add Person screen does anything; it just reflects a good intention. Unchecking it does not result in the Living flag actually being saved as False. When you open the newly added person in the Edit Person screen, it is still checked (set to True). Here comes 5.0.3.1...

Let's see .... two months' wait for a pathetic set of insignificant "fixes", and already two reported bugs, plus a snarky reply from Bruce himself ..... who should be trying to keep - not alienate - customers ....

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

Let's see .... two months' wait for a pathetic set of insignificant "fixes", and already two reported bugs, plus a snarky reply from Bruce himself ..... who should be trying to keep - not alienate - customers ....

Awwww, I welcome the "Who Was There" report and don't consider it an insignificant development. Nor did I regard his reply to me be snarky; rather, I appreciate that he quickly pointed out that I had made an erroneous conclusion.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#14 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

5.0.3 changes:
Hardly an insignificant update although there are few updates that aren't significant or considered needed to some users. And other users that don't think any update is ever significant enough. <_<

1. New: New "Who Was There" list prints all people in a selected place at a selected time (see help for details)

I'm still exploring how and when to use this new report. But, it will be great for use when researching the 1940 census as it will print a woman's married name as of the date chosen for the report. And the age is also given if the user enters a specific date. However it doen't seem to print an age for a date range although I might not have entered the date range in a useable format.

Fulfillment of wishes:
2. New: "Fix Broken Media Links" now lets you select the starting drive and/or folder
3. New: Media Gallery now lets you sort media by either file name or caption
4. New: Added options to custom reports to shade alternate records or draw lines between records
5. New: Added preparer option to Box Charts
6. New: Added "Living" checkbox to "Add Person screen
7. New: Added option to print detail ref# for citations in Source List report
9. Fixed: Images attached to place details and citations now print in scrapbooks and multimedia list
Other:
8. New: Changed 95 year rule to 110 years in New FamilySearch features. [This may have been from a wish I don't remember or mandated by LDS]

Bugs:
10. Fixed: Legacy import now imports LDS Confirmation and LDS Initiatory
11. Fixed: If a note contains a NULL character it is stripped out when exporting to GEDCOM
12. Fixed: "Add Person" screen could crash if user had disabled the birth or death date or place field

#15 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

5.0.3 changes:

1. New: New "Who Was There" list prints all people in a selected place at a selected time (see help for details).

I like the potential!

Fulfillment of wishes:

2. New: "Fix Broken Media Links" now lets you select the starting drive and/or folder

I'm thinking this was one of my suggestions.

Jack

a posteriori

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

I am not able to confirm your findings. If I uncheck the Living flag on the Add Person screen and do not include a death date, the living flag is still unchecked when I add them.
Renee
RootsMagic

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

I'd like to request that the flag in the Add new person screen be unchecked once tabbing or clicking out of one of the completed fields that would cause that condition (death date, death place, death cause, burial date, or burial place information entered). The box currently remains checked in that screen, so it's not until the Edit Person screen pops up that the effect of the entered information can be seen.

Actually, one other minor change for consistency might be useful. In the Add new person screen, once you enter the date information in the field (31 Dec 2011, for example), the month name is expanded (31 December 2011) once you tab or click out of it, unlike in the Edit Person screen, in which it remains as entered.

Confirming enhancements/issue is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#18 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

I am not able to confirm your findings. If I uncheck the Living flag on the Add Person screen and do not include a death date, the living flag is still unchecked when I add them.

Then perhaps it is not a universal deficiency. I just repeated the test adding a new individual with no facts other than the name and gender, unchecked the Living box and got the same result - the Living flag was not cleared in the database as was evident in the Edit Person screen. This was also reported by Jesse Davis on 29 Mar in this posting to the RootsMagic-Users list, confirmed by Margaret Scheffler, and acknowledged by the RootsMagician who stated that it would be fixed in the next release.

#19 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Then perhaps it is not a universal deficiency. I just repeated the test adding a new individual with no facts other than the name and gender, unchecked the Living box and got the same result - the Living flag was not cleared in the database as was evident in the Edit Person screen. This was also reported by Jesse Davis on 29 Mar in this posting to the RootsMagic-Users list, confirmed by Margaret Scheffler, and acknowledged by the RootsMagician who stated that it would be fixed in the next release.

You are correct. I checked further into this and discovered the living flag does not work correctly if you enter no dates for the person. It will be fixed in 5.0.3.1.
Renee
RootsMagic