• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Raycer

Raycer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:01 AM

I am transferring to a new laptop and setting up Roots 5 again.
On my old machine, the Roots database files are by default located in folder Program Files/Roots - same on the new one.
This causes me a back-up issue since [by choice for simplicity] my back-up system only picks folders/files from My Documents.
So is it feasible to locate the .rmgb files in a special Roots folder there?
If so, do I need to uninstall Roots - and re-install to a folder there?
Thanks

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Do you instead mean that your RM5 program files are located under the Program Files folder (c:\Program Files\RootsMagic 5) by default?

Any data files should be maintained outside of the Program Files folder, so subfolders under My Documents is perfectly fine for rmgc, rmgb, and other relevant files. You can set up your own personal defaults for folders going forward under the Folders tab in Tools > Program Options.

#3 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Any data files should be maintained outside of the Program Files folder, so subfolders under My Documents is perfectly fine for rmgc, rmgb, and other relevant files. You can set up your own personal defaults for folders going forward under the Folders tab in Tools > Program Options.

I have, in C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\RM FAM TREES V4 . . ., the following folders:
. . . AA - Non RM Program Documents
. . . Data
. . . Backup
. . . GEDCOM
. . . Multimedia
. . . Reports

plus: C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\RM FAM TREES V4\RM4Setup
Now I have to use the start key, enter a minimum of "RM" to select RM FAM TREES V4 before selecting one of the six folders. It may have something to do with my attempt to create on the desktop a (new)RM 5 folder with those six basic subfolders which I have since deleted.

I am almost ready to download RM 5. Today I checked for my current version and it is 4.0.9.1. I would like to keep it and put RM 5 somewhere else :) preferably starting with desktop and moving it later. Is that possible?

Thanks much,
Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

You can download and install RootsMagic 5 without disturbing any of your version four files or folders.

During installation it will ask you something like "Do you want to replace earlier versions?" just answer "no".

You can create a new set of folders for version five, if you want it to be like the version four list, just start with:
C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\RM FAM TREES V5\...

and use similar sub-folders below it.

You could just point the multimedia to the same folder under the V4 it you wanted to save duplicating all of them.

It is best if you set the V5 Folders before installing or importing any data.

AND, Make a new backup with V4 and restore the V4 backups with V5 to your V5 data folder, that way you will not be reconfiguring the V4 data files, which renders them unusable in RM4.
Alfred

#5 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Thank you kindly, Alfred.

I just C/P'd to a word document to work on after lunch.

Glenn

but

Glenn

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

There is also a webinar on installing RM 5 which you might want to watch first.

I save my RM 3.;4.and 5 data in seperate folders. I also changed the data file names and put V3 or V4 or V5 at the end of the filename.

#7 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

There is also a webinar on installing RM 5 which you might want to watch first.
I also changed the data file names and put V3 or V4 or V5 at the end of the filename.

I do this, too! :)
C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\RM FAM TREES V3
C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\RM FAM TREES V4
C:\Users\Glenn\Desktop\RM FAM TREES V5

RM ICON: Left Click > Welcome page (V4) with choice of full or essential version
Right Click > “Item (file) unavailable . . . Broken Path – Must have been something I did playing around yesterday.
I can still get there by Start > (type) RM > (select) RM FAM TREES V4 folder and choose my file. Using my test file I was able to edit person, change name and save; then change it back to the correct name.
Main DB file is backed up. Now, for some movies (W'Nar) and backing up the rest of my V4 files (after choir practice this evening).

Thank you Laura and, again, Alfred

Glenn

but

Glenn