How to open RMG in a FTW program?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Leiflynn_*

Guest_Leiflynn_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:47 AM

Could anyone tell me if I can open a RootsMagic file in a Family Tree Maker program? I received one from a cousin and I can't access it? Any clues from anyone? thanks

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 12:12 PM

Leiflynn,

You can go one of two ways.

Either have the RootsMagic user export a GEDCOM of the data, which you can then import into Family Tree Maker. You could lose some data that way, however.

The other option would be to download the RootsMagic demo program, and open the RootsMagic file within it. This way, the integrity of the data should be maintained. Some of the functionality of the full program is disabled, but enough should be present to be of considerable help.

The page at which you can download the program is available by clicking on the following link:

http://www.rootsmagic.com/demo.htm

#3 Guest_Leiflynn_*

Guest_Leiflynn_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2004 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for your response. I did download the sample but it still wouldn't open the document. I was told by the system, to do something with the folders on my system but I can't figure it out. I thought once on my system the email info would import. Could you talk me through it. I am a newbie doing this.

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 06:25 PM

What file extension does the file you received have?

If it's an RMG file, you should just be able to go into the demo program and click on File| Open, and then choose that file.

If I misunderstood your original post, and the file was actually a file with a GED extension, choose File | Import GEDCOM File within the RootsMagic demo, and then select that file. If the GEDCOM file had been created by RootsMagic, your import should complete without any problem.

If the file is simply a TXT, DOC, or RTF file, you can use a text editor such as WordPad, Word, etc. to view it.

One other possibility is that it could be a PDF file. You can use Adobe Reader to open it if that program is on your system. If not, go to http://www.adobe.com and download it from there, and you should be good to go.

These files would be the most common types you'd probably encounter.

#5 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:37 PM

If all you received was a .RMG file, then you are missing most of the database. A RootsMagic database has a .RMG file, but also has 32 other files (.dbf, .cdx, and .fpt files). You need to have them send you a backup (.zip file) which contains all the 33 files.
RootsMagician