5 replies to this topic

#1 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Color coding before doing Tools, Set Living. Using 100 years as time division for Birth or Any fact.

I suggest you drag and drop your full main database into a new Play database and fine tune your color coding criteria in it before doing it in your main database.

Before making any changes in your main database, back it up.

Green = Decide if should be marked Living/Not Living Blue = Not living Red = Living Purple = not sure or want to do more research

1. Color code Blue:

Mark everyone

2. Color code Green:
Mark:
Birth exists is false

Unmark:
Any fact date is before 1911
OR Death exists is true
OR Burial exists is true

3. Color code Red:
Mark:
Any fact date is after 1910

Unmark:
Birth date is before 1911
OR Death exists is True
Or Bural exists is True
You could add an Unmark criteria to the Red color coding for marriage if desired, i.e. OR Marriage date is before 1930
4. Create a Group each for Blue, Green and Red color coding. Spot check the Groups to see how accurate your color coding is or if there are adjustments you need to make.

You may want to wait to do steps 5 and 6 in the main database rather than in the Play database so you aren't doing that extensive work twice.

5. The Green Group is the group of people with no facts that you will need to decide how the Living flag will be marked. You may want to wait to do this step in your main database.

With the main screen in the Family view, highlight each person in turn.

If it is definite that the person should be marked as living, color code that person Red. If you aren't sure or want to do more research, mark that person Purple.

You can change the color code to Blue if you want the Living flag unchecked or leave anyone that you want the Living flag unchecked as Green.

You can color code Green to Blue when you finish checking everyone in the Green group.

6. Make a Group for Purple and change the color code to Blue or Red for the person as you do the research. You can Edit the Group by Unmarking Color Coding is not Purple.

7. At Tools, Set living, select set Living flag to False.

Select Color coding is Blue. Click OK.

When that is finished, open Tools, Set Living again and select set living flag to True.

Select Color coding is Red. Click OK.

You might also choose to mark the living flag for Purple as either False or Living.

As you add new people or add new facts, check the Living flag on the Edit person screen. RM will automatically change the flag from checked to uncheck when a death fact is entered.

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2613 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

I suggest you drag and drop your full main database into a new Play database and fine tune your color coding criteria in it before doing it in your main database.

Just a suggestion: I think the easiest and far away the fastest way to make a new play database that's a copy of your full database is File -> Copy from within RM5. Also, File -> Copy does not risk any data loss as does drag and drop.

Jerry

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

Copying the database or even restoring a backup in a new database in a different folder instead of drag and drop are a good idea if that is a concern.

I'm not that concerned about losing my custom sentences for RM default facts or extra returns for fact or source notes in a drag and drop. When the Play database gets too messy, I delete it and start another anyway.

I would recommend renaming the copy or restored database to avoid getting confused between the two as I often have both databases opened at one time.

------

I am won over to copying the database instead of drag and drop to make my Play database. When the database is copied, I don't have to wait for the Media Gallery to create the thumbnails from scratch as it does when dragging and dropping.

Jerry, thanks for making me think outside my self imposed box.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

If you want an exact COPY, just do a backup, rename your existing database to indicate it is a copy.
Then you can restore the original any time you need it.
Alfred

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

Hi Alfred,

For this purpose, I will just copy the current version of the main database as it is a lot quicker to copy and rename the copied database as I save it than it is to rename my main database and restore a backup.

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

It sure is!

I never tried copying before.

Even I am not to old to learn, although I am probably too old to remember it. :(
Alfred