9 replies to this topic

#1 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

I would like to see a MERGE SOURCES like MERGE PLACES so I could check a box on all the duplicates.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

I would like to see a MERGE SOURCES like MERGE PLACES so I could check a box on all the duplicates.

Agree :) :) :)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8206 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

There is a Merge and AutoMerge button for sources in the Master Source List. Is there something else you are looking for?
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

As RM and other genealogy software apps have developed there is a desire to bring "old" style freehand Sources and Places to a more concise format and I believe that is where this wish has come from, Derick & Nettie can confirm or deny.

The only thing I could see RM providing is a side by side field mapping utility for similar Sources and such a utility has been discussed before. Sources are not as simple as Places though and users should be aware that any such utility could only map fields existing in one Source with fields existing in the destination Source.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

Yes indeed, there is a Merge and AutoMerge button for sources in the Master Source List. ONE AT A TIME. I have over a thousand sources. With importing databases, the number of sources is multiplied. Again, I would like to see a MERGE SOURCES like MERGE PLACES so I could check a box on all the duplicates and merge with one fell swoop.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

My problem here, unless anyone can discount it in RM7, is that RM still creates duplicates of identicle sources when combining databases.

Again this is another one of those issues which has just become almost accepted unfinished business, there are so so many that were hot topics back in the day and still remain unresolved. I know RM does not like old issues being brought to the fore again so I would suggest a better way would be to simply resolve them within the current version before moving on to pastures new. :(

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6083 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:06 PM

While not exactly what DerickH would like, this page describes the need for more tolerant and talented source merging and offers an interim outboard partial solution: Sources - Merge Duplicate Masters.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:12 AM

Vyger, I just made a copy of my main database and then exported a full gedcom from the main database.

I imported the gedcom into the copy. After the gedcom was imported, RM automatically started merging the duplicate Master sources.

#9 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

Working on information from property files after doing what Laura suggested.  my results were not good.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

Checking my properties today, my main database has 911 sources and the copied database after merging sources during gedcom import has 921.

Looking at the source list source by source, I am finding that the sources that didn't merge were sources made from user defined templates which I had missed changing back to Free Form.

I now have 2 duplicates of the user defined source templates.

I haven't found any sources that were created from program defined source templates that didn't merge, but, I am pretty sure I don't have any of those in my database.

Creating a new database and going to File, Import files and importing the sources might fix the merging problems for user defined sources. I haven't experimented with Import files very much.

9 sources that didn't merge were made from user defined templates.

1 source was a Free Form source. I haven't figured out why it didn't merge.

I did find one source made from a program defined source template and it merged.