• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

1) I'd like to see AutoMatch somehow pick up where it left off, so it doesn't start from scratch each time it is run. Is there a flag for the RM5 database system that can bookmark where I jump out and then allow me to jump back in?

With large databases, it is no joke that "it can take a while" - like weeks in my case and the program is not robust enough to allow Family Search Central to run and do other work within RM5.

2) Can the RM5 gurus learn to use 64-bit programming methods and multitasking functions?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4480 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

1) I'd like to see AutoMatch somehow pick up where it left off, so it doesn't start from scratch each time it is run. Is there a flag for the RM5 database system that can bookmark where I jump out and then allow me to jump back in?

With large databases, it is no joke that "it can take a while" - like weeks in my case and the program is not robust enough to allow Family Search Central to run and do other work within RM5.

That would be a very difficult thing to resume importing where left off. What would be more reasonable is to have users import from NFS smaller sections or lines into their database, so they can control and manage the information received and pickup where they left off.

2) Can the RM5 gurus learn to use 64-bit programming methods and multitasking functions?

RM5 already uses multitasking. We already have the ability to produce a 64-bit version of RM but it wouldn't provide many benefits.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

That would be a very difficult thing to resume importing where left off. What would be more reasonable is to have users import from NFS smaller sections or lines into their database, so they can control and manage the information received and pickup where they left off.

RM5 already uses multitasking. We already have the ability to produce a 64-bit version of RM but it wouldn't provide many benefits.

It sure would provide benefits for my 64-bit system :D

By the way, what I see happening is when I step out of AutoMatch and later go back in, RootsMagic starts over from scratch and I see the same names appear at the beginning. A day or so later (assuming I let it run), I begin to see names finally being captured and the progress bar beginning to move across. NOW do you see what I'm trying to explain?

My 'multitasking request' relates to being able to do more than one thing in RootsMagic at a time. When FamilySearch Central is active, I can only do one thing at a time and I cannot go out of it to do other stuff outside FamilySearch Central without closing that window first.

#4 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

"That would be a very difficult thing to resume importing where left off. What would be more reasonable is to have users import from NFS smaller sections or lines into their database, so they can control and manage the information received and pickup where they left off."

Not too difficult. RootsMagic says right up from that it is "Scans your RootsMagic database looking for matches on FamilySearch", not the other way around.

So therefore, RootsMagic programming could be written such, that it polls to see where it is in the database when AutoMatching, "knows" what it scanned, and when AutoMatch is paused, leaves a marker and picks up where it left off, instead of starting over from the top (or bottom, wherever it begins).

Is the RM database system a flat file or a relational database?

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4480 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

Are we talking about Importing or AutoMatching? Importing where it is downloading into your database individuals from NFS will not pick up where it left off. AutoMatching is just assigning a NFS PID to your RootsMagic individual.

I asked the RootsMagician about AutoMatching.

It doesn't look at ones already matched, but it does look at ones it may have previously looked at but didn't match to check if there is now a match for them.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2046 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

RM5 uses a relational SQLite database. For more information, try:

http://sqlitetoolsfo....wikispaces.com