15 replies to this topic

#1 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

When I first started using Roots Magic I made the mistake of grouping my fathers and mothers family into the one tree. Now I would like to make a wall chart or a pedigree of each line separately. How can I make each line into separate files in RM. I have RM4.

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

When I first started using Roots Magic I made the mistake of grouping my fathers and mothers family into the one tree. Now I would like to make a wall chart or a pedigree of each line separately. How can I make each line into separate files in RM. I have RM4.

Select your father. Make an ancestor chart for him.

Select your mother. Make an ancestor chart for her.

I believe that you made the correct choice by making one common file for your family.

#3 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

Select your father. Make an ancestor chart for him.

Select your mother. Make an ancestor chart for her.

I believe that you made the correct choice by making one common file for your family.

Thank you John, but I don't see how to make an ancestor chart

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

Thank you John, but I don't see how to make an ancestor chart

Reports
Charts
Wall Charts
--in the Wall Chart dialog window:
For the Start person, choose your father.
Give it a title if you want.
In the Chart Type, choose Ancestor chart
--I like the left to right orientation, it seems to take less sheets of paper.
Choose the number of generations of ancestors you wish to include and any other options, Some are hidden in the buttons
Click the Generate Report button

Save as your fathers ancestors wall chart so you can re-open it with RootsMagic Chart
you can also EXPORT it so you can view it with some other programs.

NOW, go back to the top and do the same for your mother.
Alfred

#5 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

Reports
Charts
Wall Charts
--in the Wall Chart dialog window:
For the Start person, choose your father.
Give it a title if you want.
In the Chart Type, choose Ancestor chart
--I like the left to right orientation, it seems to take less sheets of paper.
Choose the number of generations of ancestors you wish to include and any other options, Some are hidden in the buttons
Click the Generate Report button

Save as your fathers ancestors wall chart so you can re-open it with RootsMagic Chart
you can also EXPORT it so you can view it with some other programs.

NOW, go back to the top and do the same for your mother.

Thank you Alfred, but that only gives my the main persons in my Ancestors line. What I was wanting to do is separate my father and mothers line with all the information for each family and person Birth,Marriage, Death along with all the notes I already have. At the moment I have both lines in the one tree and I want to separate them into two files.

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

Backup your database!

Rename your database for working with it, the backup is your insurance.

Create three new empty databases:
Mother
Father
Their descendants

Drag and drop your father or mother to their descendants database and include all their spouses.

In the working database, right click on either your father or mother and choose delete -> family - Do not change anything, just click on the delete button.

Now, check the Tools menu and Count Trees, there should be one tree for each parent and each of their children.
The parents could still be linked by some other connection, that is harder to find and break.
You could color your father's ancestors and do a group of your mother's ancestors and see if any of your father's color shows up in her group.
If you find the common family(ies), you have to unlink them somewhere too.
Finally, when they are separate, you can drag your father to his database along with everyone in his tree.
Then drag your mother and her tree into her database.

NOW, if you want them married with children in those new databases, drag them from their descendants database and drop them on themselves in their database.

WOW! it seems like a lot of work but it really isn't so bad.
Alfred

#7 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

Backup your database!

Rename your database for working with it, the backup is your insurance.

Create three new empty databases:
Mother
Father
Their descendants

Drag and drop your father or mother to their descendants database and include all their spouses.

In the working database, right click on either your father or mother and choose delete -> family - Do not change anything, just click on the delete button.

Now, check the Tools menu and Count Trees, there should be one tree for each parent and each of their children.
The parents could still be linked by some other connection, that is harder to find and break.
You could color your father's ancestors and do a group of your mother's ancestors and see if any of your father's color shows up in her group.
If you find the common family(ies), you have to unlink them somewhere too.
Finally, when they are separate, you can drag your father to his database along with everyone in his tree.
Then drag your mother and her tree into her database.

NOW, if you want them married with children in those new databases, drag them from their descendants database and drop them on themselves in their database.

WOW! it seems like a lot of work but it really isn't so bad.

I really appreciate the reply, but I think I'm too chicken with my computer knowledge to try all that. Maybe I will pluck up the courage later.

#8 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Thank you Alfred, but that only gives my the main persons in my Ancestors line. What I was wanting to do is separate my father and mothers line with all the information for each family and person Birth,Marriage, Death along with all the notes I already have. At the moment I have both lines in the one tree and I want to separate them into two files.

1] Select your father
2] Do a narrative report with children at each generation for a specified number of generations.
3] Select your mother
2] Do a narrative report with children at each generation for a specified number of generations.

Is this closer to what you want?

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

What do you hope to accomplish by splitting your database into two files?

#10 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

1] Select your father
3] Select your mother

Is this closer to what you want?

Alfred had what I wished to do, but I don't want to risk playing around with my knowledge of computers. :unsure:

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:25 PM

I was wondering why you want to do it.

If we knew why, we might be able to suggest something that you could do to obtain your objective without needing to split the database into two files.

#12 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2055 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

I agree with Laura. Unless there's a very compelling reason, it's much more trouble to split a database into two and then maintain each one's various lists, etc. separately. If you were to drudge up past threads on this topic, you'll find the majority of people recommeding against it for various reasons.

The other issue is if you're going to separate it into two, why not into four (for each grandparent's line), etc? It's generally better to keep everything in one database and use the reporting capability to go against that part of the database of relevance in that case (or send off a GEDCOM of a subset of your database). You'll also not want to go through the pain of recombining databases later once you've split them.

That said, there are some instances in which it might make sense, so it might be helpful to have some additional background.

#13 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

I agree with Laura. Unless there's a very compelling reason, it's much more trouble to split a database into two and then maintain each one's various lists, etc. separately. If you were to drudge up past threads on this topic, you'll find the majority of people recommeding against it for various reasons.

The other issue is if you're going to separate it into two, why not into four (for each grandparent's line), etc? It's generally better to keep everything in one database and use the reporting capability to go against that part of the database of relevance in that case (or send off a GEDCOM of a subset of your database). You'll also not want to go through the pain of recombining databases later once you've split them.

That said, there are some instances in which it might make sense, so it might be helpful to have some additional background.

I was under the impression that a wall chart would include everything in my database and that having so much details would make it just too large. Having read some of the posts here I realize that a wall chart will only include the main facts, Father,Grandfather, Great Grandfather...

#14 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

I was under the impression that a wall chart would include everything in my database and that having so much details would make it just too large. Having read some of the posts here I realize that a wall chart will only include the main facts, Father,Grandfather, Great Grandfather...

The information for the Wall Chart defaults to Birth & Death. It is possible to add other items.

Pick some ancestor several generations back.
1] Then select Descendent Chart and specify several generations
2]Generate the report

3] Then select Ancestor Chart and specify several generations
4]Generate the report

5] Then select Hourglass Chart and specify several generations in both directions
6]Generate the report

Just because you generate a chart does not mean you have to print it. The Wall Charts give a good overall summary of a family. They would be terrible to display anyone with large Note text information.

Now go back and play with the orientation and items to include.

Keeping the same arbitrary ancestor previously selected, go to Reports and try every possible type of report.
This should give you a good outlook on the capabilities of RootsMagic. After you have tried every report, check back with the discussion board with questions. Generating reports does not do anything to your data.

#15 awf

awf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

I have printed hourglass reports, but with RM5 that choice is not listed. How can I print one?
Wayne
=====================================================================

The information for the Wall Chart defaults to Birth & Death. It is possible to add other items.

Pick some ancestor several generations back.
1] Then select Descendent Chart and specify several generations
2]Generate the report

3] Then select Ancestor Chart and specify several generations
4]Generate the report

5] Then select Hourglass Chart and specify several generations in both directions
6]Generate the report

Just because you generate a chart does not mean you have to print it. The Wall Charts give a good overall summary of a family. They would be terrible to display anyone with large Note text information.

Now go back and play with the orientation and items to include.

Keeping the same arbitrary ancestor previously selected, go to Reports and try every possible type of report.
This should give you a good outlook on the capabilities of RootsMagic. After you have tried every report, check back with the discussion board with questions. Generating reports does not do anything to your data.

#16 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

RM 4 and 5

Reports
Charts
Wall charts
-- Chart type