• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Slambo

Slambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

So I'm working through adding a few new records to my database today and I come across a listing for a child who was born and died on the same day. It's easy enough to enter the data and source citation, but after entering the data, the event sorting on the person screen seems a little weird. The death event sorts above the birth event as if it came first. While I don't have any idea if the death actually occurred before the birth, that is what the person screen seems to imply.

I would prefer if the birth event sorted above the death event when both are set to the same sort date.
Thanks.

Sean Lamb

Researching a number of lines through Colonial Americal

My genealogy blog - Finding the Flock

My personal website about trains and railroad history - The Rip Track

My professional photography portfolio - Photography by Sean Lamb

#2 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

So I'm working through adding a few new records to my database today and I come across a listing for a child who was born and died on the same day. It's easy enough to enter the data and source citation, but after entering the data, the event sorting on the person screen seems a little weird. The death event sorts above the birth event as if it came first. While I don't have any idea if the death actually occurred before the birth, that is what the person screen seems to imply.

I would prefer if the birth event sorted above the death event when both are set to the same sort date.
Thanks.

Yeah, well good luck. Repeated requests for years, to fix this stupid behavior have been met with complete silence - pretty much the same as a slap in the face to users. I truly believe that *somebody* at RM has a real problem admitting mistakes.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3443 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:58 AM

This enhancement request has been posted many times before and is really simple logic that can apply to some sets of life events apart from the ones you mentioned.

Birth must come before Death unless the Stillborn fact is used.
Birth also comes before Christening or Baptism even if occurring on the same date.
Death usually comes before burial and also before Obituary even if all fall on the same date. (I had to say usually there as there will always be one buried alive victim who will post something different, but it's easy to deal with that ONE exception) :D

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

Dates - Same Day Sort Order

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

In the meantime, use the Sort Date field to allow things to sort in the way you prefer. These dates are simply used for sorting purposes and don't appear in reports. For events occurring on the same date, use dash dates in that field for the various events:

1 Jan 1900-1
1 Jan 1900-2
etc.

#6 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

For events occurring on the same date, use dash dates in that field for the various events:
1 Jan 1900-1
1 Jan 1900-2
etc.

I'd like to convert to the format above because it makes more sense than my years-old method of using sequential dates:
1 Jan 1900
2 Jan 1900
3 Jan 1900
etc.
Would there be a quick way like searching for "Sort Date is not blank"?

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

There is no search criteria for sort dates or reports either.

I wouldn't go back and change sort dates that are already sorting facts into the desired order. That's way too much work to change something that is already doing it's job.

I would just start using the desired format when entering sort dates for new entries or when I need to change sort dates due to linking new facts.