• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 branbec

branbec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

I just purchased Roots Magic 5 and I downloaded my Gedcom from Ancestry but the media didn't download. Is there an easy way to transfer the media files?

Teresa

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

The only way I know to download media from Ancestry is one at a time. Open the Media Gallery, click on a picture to open its page of details, then select View Original from the Tools area to ensure you get the highest quality image, then right-click on the original image and select "Save target|image as..." from the popup menu to the folder of your choosing, Once downloaded, you can then add the media as you would any new item to the person, fact, source, et al using RootsMagic media tool.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 branbec

branbec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

Thanks, that is going to be alot of work.
Teresa

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

Ancestry tries to be a one way street, at least with products other than its own. You might want to check whether its Family Tree Maker has some inside access to the media on the web tree but something tells me that it stores local media inside its database, rather than as outboard files. Another closed-shop tactic to entrap customers.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 ed4becky

ed4becky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

FTM 2012 downloads the media files into a directory, and does not store them in the DB.

I bought it just for that, then I review the media and move to my 'master' media directory for use by RM.

still manual to input into RM5, but the download is taken care of.

(I had other reasons for getting FTM, but it is NOT nor will it be my main genealogy program. I am an RM person!)

#6 IanS

IanS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

I have just downloaded a database from Family Tree Maker 2012 and the process was as follows. I firstly downloaded a gedcom file from FTM and saved it in a file Documents/RootsMagic.
I then went to my Family Tree Maker file in 'Documents' and copied and pasted the media file from this into my RootsMagic file that I had previously saved my gedcom file in. Remember to set within RootsMagic using 'Tools/Program Options/Folders/Roots Magic Data Files and something like (C:\Users\Ian\Documents\RootsMagic)
I then launched RootsMagic and clicked file/import/gedcom(other programs) and my media loaded together with the new gedcom family tree.
I had 736 items of media in my Family Tree Maker file, mostly Census/Birth/Marriage/Death documents and also photos of my ancestors and they all transferred correctly ie., the docs are in the source records individually against the correct source and the photos are showing against the correct individuals.
I had to tidy the transfer up a bit as some (about 30) scans were shown as a photo against an individual as well as showing as a doc against a source but this took me about 30 minutes and I now have a fully working RootsMagic with my current Family Tree of about 1000 individuals.
Hope this is of help as I know that you can download ancestry trees into FTM together with attached photos/docs in bulk, then you can transfer from FTM to RootsMagic.

regards
IanS