8 replies to this topic

#1 Arild Kompelien

Arild Kompelien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Instead of one button and the digit (2),(3)..., I would like X buttons - one for each spouse. Not important, just cosmetics?, but I think it will give an enhancement to the Family View.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

If you have a button for each spouse, you would probably have to list each spouse's name. I think that would tend to clutter the screen up more than it would help the user.

I like it the way it is with the single button and the drop-down list of spouses.
Alfred

#3 Arild Kompelien

Arild Kompelien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

I agree if it must be done like that. But it mustn't be so. A common way to do this is that the name of the spouse appears when you take the cursor to the button. When you take the cursor to the camera icon in RootsMagic - it says - Edit Multimedia. Like that.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

I often work two databases open vertically. There is not enough room to have a button for each spouse.

I don't think I would like each spouse having their own button.

I would need to hover the cursor over each button to find the spouse I wanted before I could click on that button. With more than 2 spouses, that would be irritating if I couldn't remember which number the spouse was.

As it is, I click on the button and have the list of spouses to choose from or just to see the names of the other spouses.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Firstly I'm far from backward at pushing forward but I do like things as they are.

In my opinion, one appealing thing the Rootsmagician strives to preserve is the clean and simple UI which users appear to prefer.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 Arild Kompelien

Arild Kompelien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

I often work two databases open vertically. There is not enough room to have a button for each spouse.

I don't think I would like each spouse having their own button.

I would need to hover the cursor over each button to find the spouse I wanted before I could click on that button. With more than 2 spouses, that would be irritating if I couldn't remember which number the spouse was.

As it is, I click on the button and have the list of spouses to choose from or just to see the names of the other spouses.

There is no problem to have it like it is.
But I disagree with the argument against my wish. There is enough room even if you have two databases open at the same time. Each button can easily have the half width of todays button. And who uses a 14 inch monitor today?

Today you have to click twice to change to a new spouse. With my wish you only click once. In most cases there is one spouse, and also a lot of two spouses, but 3 or more is seldom. Just to take the cursor over 2-3 buttons is quickly done.

But most of all I think it will give an enhancement to the layout of the Family View.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

I have an Acer Aspire One laptop with a 8.9 screen. I'm not sure I could read the number of the spouse on a half size button. :) There would certainly not be room for more than 2 buttons even half sized.

Many people use 10" to 14" screen laptops though I, of course, have no way of knowing how many of them use RootsMagic.

If you are going to have a button for every spouse, RM would have to have buttons for the number of spouses that are linked to that person, not an average of 1 or 2. I have several people who married anywhere from 3 to 7 times.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8455 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

I have added this enhancement request into our tracking system with the pro and con votes. It will be the RootsMagician decision on if it is implemented.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

Today you have to click twice to change to a new spouse. With my wish you only click once. In most cases there is one spouse, and also a lot of two spouses, but 3 or more is seldom. Just to take the cursor over 2-3 buttons is quickly done.

But most of all I think it will give an enhancement to the layout of the Family View.

Interesting perspective. One could hover over the existing button and have the list of spouses pop up, thus saving a click and keeping the button size as is. But hovering sensitivity necessarily requires a half second or second to distinguish it from a fly-by - that might be too slow for some people and far worse to find the spouse you want from 3 or more if each is a separate X-area requiring its own hover delay before popping the name.

The individual X's might jump out more than the current constant-width button to highlight multiple spouses. Maybe the number of figurines could replace the digit and the button width sized accordingly and keep the fast, efficient click to the list. For keyboard lovers, the addition of hot-key access to the spouse lists might be attractive.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.