4 replies to this topic

#1 leeirons

leeirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

I think it is okay to ask people for further explanation of a wish-list thread, but please stop posting comments on other person's wish-list threads regarding how you disagree with it.

If they are asking for a new capability, then they must have a reasonable purpose for it. Please treat people like they do. Just because you might not do things the way they do things does not make you right and them wrong.

If you think you have an idea for how existing program functionality could help them accomplish the same thing, then send them a private message, so that you don't risk highjacking their thread and appearing to be rude.

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2069 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

I respectfully disagree -- dialog, pro and con, has always been encouraged here on the Wish List, so part of the board culture. It helps the developers know the level of support for a wish. Even disagreement can sometimes help people come to a better understanding of the topic under consideration and lead to a better-formed wish with a more likely chance of inclusion. As long as discussion is respectful, I don't see any problem.

on a related note, people have occasionally complained about workarounds being posted in a Wish List thread, as well. Posting them has also been encouraged just in case people weren't aware that there might be a way(s) to get around a problem/find an alternate solution(s) until the wish were implemented (if at all).

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

The label for the RootsMagic Wish List says

Have a suggestion for a future version of RootsMagic? Post it here for comments.

A wish with other posters echoing Me too, Me too is of little use in bringing out the sometimes disparate ideas or other users thoughts about a particular wish which can help Bruce decide whether to implement it or how to implement it that will please most users.

Many wishes should be a "How can I do this" post in Discussions instead of posting in the Wish List forum.

Even a "work around" posted on the Wish list can help Bruce decide what he needs to address and how.

Many users who post wishes don't realize that other users do not use some of RootsMagic features the same way they do and a change to their wish would dramatically affect the other users database, i.e. the recent suggestion to treat the description field like a Place field.

Anyone that doesn't want a wish discussed can always send in a Ticket to RootsMagic support.

If I do that I start the subject with Wish-.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3420 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:52 AM

Personally I welcome discussion on any wish I post, different users see things in different ways and very often the wish is strengthened, refined and made more clear through discussion.

I would agree that the Rootsmagician should find the additional discussion valuable although not definitive, that's how ideas are born.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

We really do want additional users comments, positive or negative, inputs, work around suggestions, etc. on Wish List items to all stay within one thread per subject/topic. They are so useful to us when developing new enhancements. It allows us to see the big picture.
Renee
RootsMagic