5 replies to this topic

#1 leeirons

leeirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:01 AM

When a narrative report is generated, the report automatically places the Family Fact Types in which the Person is a Principal (is either the husband or wife) at the end of the narrative for that person, regardless of how the facts have been sorted in the Person view using Sort Dates.

I would like to be able to create a narrative report that uses the fact sequence by sort date, so that I can control the narrative completely.

Please provide this capability as an option for the narrative report. You could add a checkbox capability to the Book Options window of the Narrtive Report Settings that is labeled:

"List facts by sequence of sort date. Spouses will not be listed."

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3535 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

When a narrative report is generated, the report automatically places the Family Fact Types in which the Person is a Principal (is either the husband or wife) at the end of the narrative for that person, regardless of how the facts have been sorted in the Person view using Sort Dates.

I would like to be able to create a narrative report that uses the fact sequence by sort date, so that I can control the narrative completely.

There have been other requests for an option whereby narrative reports would have more of a timeline feel to them so that (for example, you would have "birth, marriage, death, and burial" rather than "birth, death, burial, and marriage" as we do now. Explained that way, I suppose one could argue that the "birth, death, burial, and marriage" sequence doesn't make much sense. But in the context of the structure of narrative reports, the non-timeline sequence makes sense because there is sort of an "individual narrative" for each individual and a "family narrative" for each family.

I have a hard time picturing what a purely timeline oriented report would look like. For example, if you have a person's "birth, marriage, death, and burial" followed by their spouse's "birth, marriage, death, and burial", how do the children fit into the report? And how do multiple spouses with children with each spouse fit into the report?

Jerry

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

And other family facts and notes?

Would the marriage, other family facts and notes be printed for each spouse or the first spouse printed?

I think a Timeline oriented report would be much too confusing. I prefer the narrative report as it is.

#4 leeirons

leeirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

And other family facts and notes?

Would the marriage, other family facts and notes be printed for each spouse or the first spouse printed?

I think a Timeline oriented report would be much too confusing. I prefer the narrative report as it is.

Laura,

I asked for an option checkbox. That means people can use the original report (that you are now on the record as liking) or they can choose to have a report that is generated in a sequence according to the sort date. The latter choice would exclude spouses from the report, so there would not be any issue associated with family facts being listed twice (once under the timeline and once under the spouse). Keep in mind, "standard" descendency narrative reports do not include spouses, since spouses, by definition are not descendents of the person listed as the first person in the report.

Also keep in mind that some people use sort dates to interleave "analysis" facts (user-defined) with event facts in order to create a narrative that makes claims, uses event data to support such claims, and provides analysis of such data in a thesis-style approach.

So my request stands.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

I admit I missed the option part. I would want it to be an option. I have too many spouses of descendants that are part of the same bloodlines. through one ancestor or maybe more than one.

Can you point me to where to find this standard you mentioned? I am interested in checking it out.

I do use sort dates for User defined facts and program defined facts where needed. Although I do use only one Birth, Death, and Burial fact and discuss any differences from various sources in the note and link all the sources to the one fact.

Of course your wish still stands even though I or someone else may disagree with you just as it would if I posted a wish and you disagreed with me.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic