• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 afsenior

afsenior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

Maybe I am missing something here but RootsMagic allows way too much "bad data" to be entered into the records.
I just entered the following person as a child of my wife and me to illustrate my point:
Name: dr. data Checker esq.
Sex: Male
Born: 31 Jan 1867
sant louis' mx
Died: 15 April 2012
St. Louis City, Misouri
The lack of common sense data check routines in RM allow obviously incorrect information, punctuation and spelling errors.
I hope something can be done about this situation soon. What I am pointing out is not a new problem for the information processing industry.
Perhaps pay a Contract Programmer a few bucks????

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

In the Tools menu there is a Problem Search -> Problem list which finds things like those for you.

As far as entering data, if it was made "idiot proof", some idiot genius would find a way around it.
Alfred

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

And how is RM supposed to know sant louis', mx should be St. Louis City, Missouri? There are many places all over the world that are not in the place database.

I'm not at my computer to check, but with CountyCheck turned on you might get an error message.

I did have an error shown when I had a period instead of a comma in the place name.

A visual check of entries before I save the fact saves lots of making corrections later.

#4 afsenior

afsenior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

Wow,
It was not my wish to start an "oh yeah!" argument here. I mentioned the issue in what I thought was a humorous tone. Thanks for the lesson, now I know.
Alfred, regarding Problem Search reporting function, let me ask you a question. If you can program a data check routine to catch errors after the fact, why not put the code in the data entry function and stop it from coming into the records at all. I suggest you create some of the bad data in one of your records and then see how much of it clears Problem Search. I did and it does not get it all. Bless you Alfred, have a wonderful day...

#5 ed4becky

ed4becky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:22 AM

Sometimes the data you enter is simply documenting data from a source, which may have the data in error as well. Disallowing the entry of data that may seem obviously flawed would make the program too limiting.

I like the approach of 'flagging' (reporting) errant data, but allowing me to enter what I wish until I can confirm the data is indeed flawed. Its a more flexible approach