4 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:13 PM

There have been a few requests for this sort of thing, see LessTX wish1, LessTX wish2, vyger wish, vyger wish2, Athena's 2008 wish. With RM5 now restricted to one Caption and Description per image file (RM4 allowed multiples), the potential for such interchange is much improved. As a demonstration of the possibilities, I have just developed some SQLite tools for comparing RM's Caption and Description to what Picasa displays and stores in the Caption-Abstract tag embedded in the JPG image file plus copying them from JPG to RM5 and from RM5 to JPG. See Media Metadata, Read, Write, Compare with Picasa.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:57 AM

There have been a few requests for this sort of thing, see LessTX wish1, LessTX wish2, vyger wish, vyger wish2, Athena's 2008 wish. With RM5 now restricted to one Caption and Description per image file (RM4 allowed multiples), the potential for such interchange is much improved. As a demonstration of the possibilities, I have just developed some SQLite tools for comparing RM's Caption and Description to what Picasa displays and stores in the Caption-Abstract tag embedded in the JPG image file plus copying them from JPG to RM5 and from RM5 to JPG. See Media Metadata, Read, Write, Compare with Picasa.

Wow, looks like a bit of a "can of worms" http://gcoupe.wordpr...-photo-gallery/
I wonder if, because RM currently incorporates Bing, there might not be "complexities" to broadening support for various applications and how they each handle image metadata, that might hold this back from incorporation ?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Wow, looks like a bit of a "can of worms" http://gcoupe.wordpr...-photo-gallery/
I wonder if, because RM currently incorporates Bing, there might not be "complexities" to broadening support for various applications and how they each handle image metadata, that might hold this back from incorporation ?

That's a great blog, thanks! I don't understand why RM-Bing should necessarily prevent a RM-EXIF|IPTC|XMP exchange. At least not at the basic level of Caption and Description. While he shows that PIcasa and Windows Live Photo Gallery use different tags for captions, I think a user will use one or the other and the differences coul be covered by simple mapping between the RM fields and the metadata tags.

Broader interchange does get increasingly complex - e.g., he describes that PIcasa geotags (coordinates) while WLPG geocodes (address) and that there are incompatible differences in the coding and storage of face-tags. Also, that one or both corrupt or remove Makernote tags (data supplied by the camera). But by limiting the number of metadata exchanged, those issues may be removed from the issue of RM support and left to the user to choose which photo manager to use.

The blogger uses neither Picasa nor WLPG but rather prefers IDimager, products for the serious amateur or professional photographer. I don't think a $30 genealogy software should attempt to be compatible with all photo managers but do its best to tie into the mainstream, free managers such as PIcasa and WLPG at a basic level. At the very basic level, the tie is the common image file which both RM and the manager are able to modify. Seems perfectly logical that, if RM can see and modify the image, that it should also read and write some basic metadata.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Pheney

Pheney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

I'm pleased that there is already discussion on the IPTC/XMP issue.

I keep my photos in a simple file structure, and use Breezebrowser to add and edit captions etc. I see that other RootsMagic users have a variety of software for similar purposes. I understand that there is some variation in the way that metadata standards are implemented, so incorporating it in RootsMagic may not be easy. However, it seems a very worthwhile project. I have literally thousands of photos waiting to be added to RM, but I'm reluctant to start as I would like to bring over the current captions (entered using Breezebrowser) rather than manually re-enter them in RM.

Is there any recent progress?