7 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

I've mentioned this a while back but I'll toss it out there again. I'd like a way to create a GEDCOM that has the shared facts converted to individual facts F.B.O. dumb programs that don't understand RM's shared facts. This would be particularly handy for uploading to Ancestry.com. So, something like an heir in a Will Fact would be converted to a Miscellaneous Fact that would just say "He was an heir in Joe Blow's will of 14 Sept 1705."

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8334 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 JeffH13

JeffH13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

Funny, I logged in specifically to enter this same wish. So I second the motion.

Jeff

#4 leeirons

leeirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

This is the very reason I am so hesitant at moving permanently to any genealogy software that uses the "Roots Magic / Master Genealogist" data structure.

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2055 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

Lee, there's no reason that you have to use shared facts in RM5. You can simply enter the same fact (but with different details, if relevant) to all individuals who fall under it (census record, for example), as was the case before the feature was integrated. You have the choice to do it either way depending on your preferences.

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

This is the very reason I am so hesitant at moving permanently to any genealogy software that uses the "Roots Magic / Master Genealogist" data structure.

Do you have any other reasons than that the Shared facts for only the Principle and not the Sharee doesn't transfer into another genealogy program that doesn't accept it?

It doesn't matter what genealogy program you are using to import or export a gedcom. There are always going to be differences in how those programs export and import the data because they interpret the gedcom structure rules differently or have special features that aren't accounted for in the gedcom rules like RM's shared fact.

Bruce rewrote the gedcom import procedure to import gedcoms exported in RM with the RM special features included correctly. He has done that with importing gedcoms and importing the databases from other programs to deal with some of the other genealogy program's differences to RM.

#7 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:32 AM

I can see that software vendors like to make it inconvenient for their Users to potentially move to another package and binding them in by ensuring that if they do a GED Export it will not be in a totally acceptable format for a competitive product is one way of doing this.

However, we all need to be able to exchange information with other genealogosts and online systems and surely any genealogy programme should make every effort to ensure that if you use some of its features it should be coded as well as possible in a GED export - so the User can share his facts with others.

Shared Events is a key feature of RM and I do not like the idea of not having to use features so that I can potentially export the data accurately. RM should have a means of allowing the user to export GED friendly data on request.

And if there are any features in RM that cannot be exported to a GED file properly perhaps it should clearly state when you use it "Warning - You will not be able to export this data in standard GED formats if you use this feature".

MVS.

#8 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

Shared Events is a key feature of RM and I do not like the idea of not having to use features so that I can potentially export the data accurately. RM should have a means of allowing the user to export GED friendly data on request.

This is kind of my point of view. I really like shared events, particularly wills and censuses. I just wish that there was some way (any way) to be able to exchange this data with other programs without having to have to supply the caveat, "Something was lost in translation."