#41 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

Places:
You can print a Place list report to get a report of the people linked to each Place or Place Details for each Place. On that report you can choose Reverse Place names to print the Places in reverse order. Personally, I don't know how pracical to have everyone linked to a place or Place detail listed on the Place list screen. I have many Places that have many pages of people linked to that Place. And if I want to work on people that have facts linked to those places, I would create a group.
You could split Places into Places and Place details with cemeteries, churches, townships, etc. being Place details.

Just be aware that Place details probably will not be imported into another genealogy program and that data could be lost when sharing by gedcom with someome else.

Place: Sharp County, Arkansas
Place details:
Ash Flat [a city in Sharp County]
Cave City Cemetery, Cave City
Evening Shade Cemeterry, Evening Shade
Maxville Church, Cave City
Piney Fork Township
Sidney
Sullivan Township (Historical)

As you can see sometimes it is difficult to decide where to divide the Place into Place details. For this example I choose to use the county as the Place and everything else in Place details.

For historical places which have changed counties or even states over the years, I use the place of the time. This is user choice.

Historical, before 1868, geocoded and standardized name as being Evening Shade, Sharp County, Arkansas:
Evening Shade, Lawrence County, Arkansas [now in Sharp County, Arkanasas]
Present, after 1868:
Evening Shade, Sharp County, Arkansas

This tells me that I am probably going to find any records for the historical place in Lawrence County for dates before the county change in Lawrence County, not Sharp County. I would have a new Place name for each locations change in Place names over the years.

CountyCheck is going to give me an error message for the County and/or [now in Sharp County, Arkanasas] in the Place name. It can be turned off at Tools, Program options.

In RM 6, Tools, CountyCheck Explorer is a new tool to check when places changed counties at least for the US. I am not familiar with it's use of other countries.

Search for any fact which has a place containing Washington:

Mark:
Any fact, Place, contains, Washington for all people who lived in the state of Washington whatever County, Township they lived in.

That will also give you Washington D C, so you can:
Unmark:
Any fact, Place, contains Washinton D C

ToDo:

ToDo's sort by their Task name.

Arkansas, Sharp, Burial, Smith, James, b.1888
Arkansas, Sharp, Burial, Smith, James, b.1888
Arkansas, Sharp, Marriage, Smith, James, b.1888
Burial, Thomas, b.1900

The Repository could be Arkansas, Sharp County. Then you could print a Repository report with ToDo's and have all the ToDo's you need to do in that county.

With the Repository being Arkansas, Sharp County, your Task name could be, Burial, Smith, James, b.1888, and the Repository report would print all the Burials together and all the Marriages together.

Names:

I would put, George the butcher of Appleby, as the given name. Or you could just put George as the given name and link an Alternate name fact with the given name of George the butcher of Appleby with identifying data in the Suffix. With the Alternate name options for the Sidebar ndex and RM Explorer. You could find him with the Alternate name.

My advice is always to create a new database and drag and drop your main database into it. Use the new database to play with diferrent ways of entering data into different features without making changes in your main database. If it gets too messy you can always delete the Play database and create a new one.

There are also webinars on using RM at http://www.rootsmagic.com/Webinars/

#42 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

4. Is there a way to view the list of people in my database associated with a particular location within the place list window?.

Laura already answered many of your questions, but I thought I would followup a little bit on #4. If your question #4 is interpreted extremely literally, then the answer is "no". But don't despair. There are some techniques that come very close to what you want.

As Laura already mentioned, you can do a Print from within the Place List to create a report. Having created the report, you are sort of locked out of RM and if you want to go back into RM to take some action based on what's in the report you have to exit the report and essentially lose the report. But again, don't despair. Before exiting from the report, you can save it to a file. But what's in the report is not people. It's events. That means that (for example) if John Doe was born in Cook County, Illinois was married in Cook County, Illinois, was enumerated in three different censuses in Cook County, Illinois, and died in Cook County, Illinois, then John Doe will appear six times in the report: 1 birth, 1 marriage, 1 death, and 3 censuses. That's what I mean by the report consisting of events rather than of people.

Another option that might come closer to what you want is to make a Named Group of all the people for whom one or more events occurred in Cook County, Illinois. You create groups from the Groups sidebar, and you choose who to put into a group from within what's called RM Explorer. RM Explorer is used in many, many different parts of RM and it is called by the Groups sidebar when Named Groups are being defined. Your condition for your Group in RM Explorer would be something like "Any Fact Place contains Cook County, Illinois". By using "contains" rather than "equal", the condition will find places such as "Chicago, Cook County, Illinois" in addition to "Cook County, Illinois". Even though the search condition is looking for events such as birth, marriage, census, and death, it's really marking people. So a Named Group consists of people rather than events. That's why I sugggest that this procedure might be a little bit more like what you are looking for. Having created your Group, you can display it in the Group sidebar or in the main part of the screen in People View.

I make note of the fact that from the Place List you would have to do two different reports to get all the events in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois and also all the events in Cook County, Illinois. But with the Named Group approach, there would only be one Group containing people with both forms of the place.

Jerry

#43 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

I have little to say except I am tiring of work arounds that have been in existence for years, it is really is time these genuine user functionality needs are closed. In answer to this one the old style report and pen and paper are a little dead, HTML reports everywhere for me and it is reassuring that we have made the first step with FE.

Media Gallery, Shared Events and Places all have what I see as obvious missing functionality and hopefully if time allows I will write up my opinions on my site rather than have them lost on the forum.

Let’s hope the Rootsmagician has some New Year Resolutions in mind which will make us all happy, and a lot more productive. ;)

I should say as this is on the RM5 board that RM6 is a little more helpful on Places, but still a long way to go. IMO

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#44 Serenity20061

Serenity20061

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:45 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I hoping to use the view people associated with places or tasks to create groups in the index relatively quickly. It looks like I will need to manually mark some ot the lists in order to create the groups that I need.

For instance, one of my groups is all the people buried in Sunset View Cemetery, Washta, Cherokee Co, Iowa. I have the exact block, lot, and grave location entered for all 1120 graves in that cemetery. During my next trip to Washta Iowa in September 2013 will be photographing all the headstones using the app on BillionGraves.com to precisely geo-code the graves within the cemetery. (if you haven't seen that website, check it out ... wonderful app and very precise geo-code output). I have been researching the family links between the people buried in that cemetery and trying to identify some of the people whose headstones have deteriorated beyond legibility. One headstone that caught my interest has only two words still legible - "son" and "murdered". There are no other family graves surronding this grave to give me a clue about the surname. The headstone is mid-1800s based on the location within the cemetery. The entire town (including city hall) burned to the ground TWICE in two separate fires in the early 1900s, so all cemetery records pre-dating the fires were lost. I have been combing through newspaper stories in the county archives to see if I can identify this individual and find out more about the story. Since I am only able to make the trip to Iowa once a year, being able to keep track of my research and results is essential so that I don't waste time reviewing the same rolls of microfilm during my next trip.

I did create a new tree for gedcom from FTM2012 and one for the same tree in Ancestry.com. I am still editing the gedcom text file to clean up the mess created when those applications merged the description and place fields into a single PLAC tag. I have been playing with the 'split place details" function in RM6 to see if that will be faster than manually editing the gedcom to transfer the descriptions to the notes. I have deleted and re-imported the gedcom file several times as I edit it to see how my edits are translating in RM6 fields. This helps me make sure that I am being consistent as I edit the gedcom and catch errors in formatting before I get too far down the wrong path. (I am changing some of the tag labels and adding sublevels as I am editing the gedcom.)

I am also playing around with "mark people by data fields" within the "create groups" portion of the index to figure out the best way to get the correct number of people in my results. I know exactly how many people should be pulled in each of my searches, so it is more a matter of learning how to structure my query to get the correct output. I chalk this up to part of learning the RM6 software and getting an idea of what field name within a table the data ended up in during the gedcom conversion. I haven't found a way to structure my query to pull a list of people with citations from the same source. I do have separate gedcom files for each source document, so may also play with this as an approach - i.e. importing each source document gedcom file as a separate tree, tag all individuals in that tree as a group, and then merge the two trees. It will be interesting to see if merging duplicate people will impact whether or not the group tags remain intact or are lost in the merge.

You all have given me new approaches to try, so thanks!

#45 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

In "mark people by data fields", use Any fact, place, contains, Sunset View Cemetery, Washta, Cherokee Co, Iowa to make a Group or filter a report for everyone in that cemetery if that is how your place name is entered.

Create a Custom report for the cemetery with Name, record number, birth date, and death date. I have a user defined fact, !Tombstone photo, with the description enabled. In the description, I put Y if I have a photo of the tombstone, N if I don't want a photo, or G if I need to get a photo.

Or, the Reports, Lists, Individual reports can be used.

Or, you can just print a Place list report for that Place to get every person linked to that Place or print a Source list report for a Master source to get everyone who has a citation linked to that Master source.

Using contains, you can use any part of the place name you want in depending on the results you need.

Any fact, Source, name contains [name of Master source] will give you all the people who have citations linked to that Master source.

When you merge two people, the duplicate person you merge into the primary person is deleted from the database. So the duplicate person will no longer be in a Group because they no longer exist.

#46 Serenity20061

Serenity20061

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Laura,

Thank you. This was very helpfu.

Theresa

#47 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

My thoughts and input in two short videos.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root