• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Hoffman

Randy Hoffman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

I noticed on your blog that you are working on a RootsMagic for mobile devices. I think it would be really fun to have some sort of map feature or a tie-in with another map program, where you plan a trip to see family sites (birthplaces, cemeteries, homes, etc.). So, if I was going on a family vacation to southern California, I could take a day to visit some family history sites. I could select an area on a map and it would give me directions to every family site within that area.

It would be a great way to get family members interested in family history.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

I can do most of this already using Google Maps and it's features, My place and My Maps, on my mobile phone and my PC. The Google Maps on the mobile phone is synced to the Google Maps site.

I can add cemeteries, towns, addresses, restaurants, etc.

I do have to decide which places from RootsMagic to include in the My Map for that trip or area, but that is part of the trip preparation.

There may be other useful map apps for mobile phones, but I haven't checked them out.

#3 Randy Hoffman

Randy Hoffman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

What I'm talking about would be some really fun and easy integration. Maybe it would interface with google maps and you could just click something that says, "send to _____ map."

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

I fully understand your wish for an enhanced mapping function that would plot the events near a place. Currently, RootsMagic Mapping only gives you the choice of one pin for the Place, or multiple pins (one pin per event) for one Person. I felt the same need in RM4 and developed MapEvents-KML query 16 mos ago to satisfy it as a workaround and to demonstrate the feasibilty.

RM5 is has moved part way there. Its Place List Report did subsequently deliver the option of "Print events near a place". If you have geo-tagged your places and place details with lat & long coordinates, you could copy a few from the report into your mapping program to get driving directions while using the report for the family stories in each location.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 leeirons

leeirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

I have not been able to figure out how to get either Google Maps or Bing Maps to give me Lat and Long coordinates for "My Places" (both Google and Bing call it the same thing). And "My Places" is the only feature of both Google and Bing that allows you to place pins on locations that neither Google nor Bing recognize, which is the case for most cemeteries and ALL old (no longer used) place names.

Family Tree Maker 2012 allows users to define a location and place a pin on a Bing Map that automatically populates Lat and Long fields with the coordinates of where the pin was placed, enabling users to get Lat and Long coordinates for cemeteries and other "non-addressed" locations. This also enables the user to pin the old (no longer used) name of a location to a modern map. I have been using Family Tree Maker 2012 to get the coordinates and enter them into the Lat and Long fields for my Place Details. Hopefully RM6 will have a better mapping and pinning feature and include Randy's suggestion of mapping out a road trip. This would put Roots Magic a step ahead of the competing software.

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

Google has 2 Google Map lab features that you can enable or disable for online Google Map.

LatLng Tooltip
Marcelo C
Displays a tooltip next to the mouse cursor showing the latlng directly underneath it. Press SHIFT to activate tooltip.

LatLng Marker
Marcelo C
Adds an option to the context menu that lets you drop a mini marker showing the latlng of the position that the cursor was pointing at when the context menu was evoked

On Bing, edit the place in My Place and the latitude and longitude shows in the edit screen.

I haven't done any exploring into how accurate either program is or what format of latitude and longitude either program is using.

#7 leeirons

leeirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

Google has 2 Google Map lab features that you can enable or disable for online Google Map.

On Bing, edit the place in My Place and the latitude and longitude shows in the edit screen.

Laura,

Google Labs closed in October of 2011. I tried what you said in Google Maps, and it does not work, which means Google did not transition it into Google Maps. If you have figured out specifically how to make it work, please clarify

I am looking at My Places in Bing Maps right now (logged in under my Windows Live account), and I do not see Lat and Long in the edit screen of any of my pinned locations. Perhaps it only makes Lat and Long available for places that Bing Map search recognizes, and not just any pinned location selected by a user.

At any rate, Randy's request still stands on its own merits.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

Tthe Google Map labs are still viable. Just before I posted that about Google Maps, I clicked on the Maps labs link at the bottom of the left pane. And on my android mobile, Google Maps, I can assess Map labs that apply to the mobile versions from the mobile Google Maps.

Sorry I didn't say how I accessed the Google Maps labs.

I enabled LatLng Tooltip and and LatLng Marker.

I place my cursor wherever I want on the map and press Shift on the keyboard and the latitude and longitude popup in a box below my cursor position.

I didn't play with LatLng Marker long enough to see how it would work.

Perhaps, you are right about how Bing works. As I almost said, I didn't do any detailed experimentation about how the features worked on either program. :)

------

From the official blog on closing Google Labs

http://googleblog.bl...wer-arrows.html

Update 3:36pm: To clarify: we don't have any plans to change in-product experimentation channels like Gmail Labs or Maps Labs. We'll continue to experiment with new features in each of our products.

#9 leeirons

leeirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

Thanks!

Yes, other tools are out there that can help. However, the whole idea of being able to do everything in the same software is so that you only have to enter data once in the genealogy software, and then have the genealogy software use that data to do things like map out a road-trip, as Randy requested.

One of the things I am doing at my day job is helping our company transition to a new PLM software suite. One of the things we are trying to accomplish is having all of the functionality that we currently have spread out among a number of different Access Databases and Excel spreadsheets built in to the PLM software, so that all of the data is logically linked to the product structure of the product our company makes. Suffice to say it is one of the largest products in the world. By doing this, we will eliminate lots of duplicate data entry that we used to do in multiple databases and software tools in order for everyone in the company to do their various jobs.

The same principals apply, whether we are talking PLM tools or genealogy tools.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8412 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#11 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3448 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

I am looking at My Places in Bing Maps right now (logged in under my Windows Live account), and I do not see Lat and Long in the edit screen of any of my pinned locations. Perhaps it only makes Lat and Long available for places that Bing Map search recognizes, and not just any pinned location selected by a user.

While in the My Places Editor of Bing Maps, you can click Actions, then Export (or the arrow to the right of Export) and choose downloading of three different formats of geodata that includes the Lat/Long.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#12 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

Expanding this wish a little, the Rootsmagician could easily produce a simple 3 column csv file which the user can convert to their own GPS device format. Many free converters are available online and a report could be run of All Places Within A Distance, exported to csv and then converted for that door to door no hassle Road Trip.

The format is very simple, see below, but also note Longitude must come first.

-6.249182,54.844261, "Ballyclug Cemetery"
-6.270897,54.877792, "Ballymena Cemetery"

;)

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8412 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#14 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

I would like to see the "Road Trip" function tied with the "To-do" list. Assuming the repositories were all geocoded one could plan his trip to hit the repositories he needs to visit.