3 replies to this topic

#1 KevinP

KevinP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hi,

I appear to have aproblem with importing a gedcom file in to RM5.
Previously know problems with other editions.public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Import to a new database.
Open up my main database as normal.
Open up new database.
Now two windows.
Transfer individuals from NEW to MAIN.
ALL ok.public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Open main next day.
Notice when closing the NEW database is open in background and is waiting to be backed-up.
OK back up and close both databases.

Next time open NEW still in background.
Open up NEW but... now this is good.
Opens up to two NEW databases and in the middle of them my MAIN database.

What have I done and how do I undo?
public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

Kev

#2 KevinP

KevinP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hi once more,
Just noticed when I transferred / merged one person to the same person in MAIN database, transferred all data correctly.
Next one I did would not transfer anything?

Any help,
Kev

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

It see how many and which databases you have open, click on the Windows menu at the top of the main screen. If you have one databases open multiple times it lists that database separately for every time you have it open.

It sounds like you may have had New open more than once. Databases can also be minimized.

At the bottom of the popup screen, you will see a list of the databases that are open.

You can click on Close all and all the databases will be closed and you will need to reopen the database(s) you want to use. Databases can not be closed separately on this screen.

Highlight one of the database names on the main screen and click on the X to the right of the database to close that database.

I can only guess on the other problem.

When you drag and drop a person who is already in the receiving database, you can have that person showing on both databases main screen.

Highlight the person the the starting database and drag and drop that person on top of the person in the receiving database.

The Drag and drop screen will have a check box about the middle of the screen that asks you if this is the same person and if that box is checked, it do an automatic merge of that person's record.

If you don't check the box, the drag and drop adds that person to the receiving database as a new person with a new record number, and you have to do the merging yourself.

Check the Sidebar index or RM Explorer to see if you now have to of those people with different record numbers.

#4 KevinP

KevinP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:28 AM

It see how many and which databases you have open, click on the Windows menu at the top of the main screen. If you have one databases open multiple times it lists that database separately for every time you have it open.

It sounds like you may have had New open more than once. Databases can also be minimized.

At the bottom of the popup screen, you will see a list of the databases that are open.

You can click on Close all and all the databases will be closed and you will need to reopen the database(s) you want to use. Databases can not be closed separately on this screen.

Highlight one of the database names on the main screen and click on the X to the right of the database to close that database.

I can only guess on the other problem.

When you drag and drop a person who is already in the receiving database, you can have that person showing on both databases main screen.

Highlight the person the the starting database and drag and drop that person on top of the person in the receiving database.

The Drag and drop screen will have a check box about the middle of the screen that asks you if this is the same person and if that box is checked, it do an automatic merge of that person's record.

If you don't check the box, the drag and drop adds that person to the receiving database as a new person with a new record number, and you have to do the merging yourself.

Check the Sidebar index or RM Explorer to see if you now have to of those people with different record numbers.

Hi Laura,
Please accept my appology in not returning quicker.

Thanks for your advice. Still not quite sure what was happening. BUT. After closing down and rebooting it appears to have cleared the problem of not copying the data from list to the person.
The problem with the extra windows was my fingers not Roots.

Warm regards,
Kev