3 replies to this topic

#1 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

Many months ago [or even several years], I had posted a question about support of a wide format ink jet printer. It is too much bother to locate my previous posting.

The local chain computer/office supply chain store advertised a wide format printer just before Christmas. It will support up to 13" x 19" paper. To be vendor neutral, I am not naming the store or the printer maker. The sale price was finally low enough to convince me to make the purchase. Warning, photo paper of this size is costly at about $1.50/sheet. I purchased a few sheets of 11" x 17" card stock for $0.33/sheet for a trial run. The copy center clerk suggested that their copy machine paper was not coated properly for ink jet printers.

1] RootsMagic does support printing on 11" x 17" paper. I tried a 6 generation pedigree chart in landscape format. Looks fine.

2] My photo software also works fine.

3] My survey program for plotting old deeds in rods and poles also works fine.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

http://forums.rootsm...__fromsearch__1

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

http://forums.rootsm...__fromsearch__1

Tom, Thanks for the lookup of my earlier posting. Just as I speculated, the printout on large format paper just expands the family tree in the 6 generation chart to fill the paper. It does not provide more data on the last generation printed.

I did not buy enough test sheets of large paper to try it, but the preview lines on the Wall Chart show that it would use fewer sheets of paper and would make the tape job easier to connect multiple sheets.

#4 Pat1939

Pat1939

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

A. Many (most/all?) 13 inch wide printers will also print on paper up to about 48 inches long. RM-4 will support that size paper. If you buy roll paper, make sure the core size will fit your printer's roll holder. Roll paper is available from Canon, Espson, and HP - you can also find 13 inch roll paper on Amazon.

B. To get more info printed, use the WALL CHART options. You can specify number of generations, box size, spacing, and info to be included. They look quite nice when printed directly from RM (but both photos and text are awful if printed on a wall chart saved as JPG etc. as these appear to just be screen dumps and use a defeective JPG function - which I've posted about previously)

C. For 11x17 paper, I suggest just a high quality bond (or cover) such as Hammermill Digital Color Copy - it's about 10c a sheet and even prints matte photos fairly well. Experiment with the quality settings of your printer.