4 replies to this topic

#1 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:03 PM

To just Edit a misspelled Place detail that is not a duplicate Place name, go to Lists, Place list.
Highlight the Place.
Click in Place details in the top tab row.
Highlight the Place detail in the list on the Place details list screen.
Click on Edit.
Correct the spelling.
Click OK

RootsMagic corrects the spelling of the Place detail everywhere that
Place detail is linked.

Or, from the Edit person screen, highlight the fact.
Click on the icon at the right of the Place details box. This brings
up the Place details list screen.
Edit the Place detail and click OK.
Click Select.
Click Save.
The Place detail for that fact shows the new spelling.

When you Close the Edit person screen, RM automatically changes the
spelling where ever that Place detail is linked.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

Or, from the Edit person screen, highlight the fact.
Click on the icon at the right of the Place details box. This brings
up the Place details list screen.
Edit the Place detail and click OK.***
Click Select.
Click Save.
The Place detail for that fact shows the new spelling.

When you Close the Edit person screen, RM automatically changes the
spelling where ever that Place detail is linked

*** At this point RM has changed the spelling wherever that Place Detail is linked. It will show up on the fact being edited (if it had the previous spelling) even if after OK, you Cancel Place Details and Close Edit Person; the next report or Edit Person view will have the revised Place Detail even though the Edit Person screen from which you opened the Place Details list does not show the change.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

I had two facts on the same Edit person screen using the same Place and misspelt Place detail.

I edited the misspelt Place details name for the first fact on the Edit person screen by clicking the Place detail icon and editing the Place detail name. This corrected the spelling on the list. I then clicked on Select.

This changed the spelling for that fact.

After correcting the spelling for the first fact, the second fact still showed the incorrect spelling although the Place details list showed the correct spelling. I did not go to the Place details list and select the Place detail again. I left it showing the misspelt Place detail.

If I correct the spelling in the Place details list for the first fact and hit Cancel, both facts still show the misspelling and the Save button is grayed out.

When I closeed out the Edit person screen and reopened it, all the Place details for each fact that was still showing the misspelt Place detail now had the new spelling.

And all other places for other people's facts were now showing the correct spelling.

So I think the spelling is not changed for each fact linked to the new Place details spelling on the Place details until you Close the Edit Person screen.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

To see that the Place Detail change is applied without closing the Edit Person screen, after hitting Cancel from the Place Details list, select another fact and then re-select the fact from which you were editing the Place Detail, or the other fact that used the same one. Now you will see that they have the revision, without closing Edit Person. The lag is that the edit Person screen is not refreshed on cancelling out of Place Details leaving field with the old value it first was filled with from the database. Really, it should refresh on exiting from the Place Details screen if it has a previously assigned place detail.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7095 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

Confirming noted refresh issue is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic