• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KevinP

KevinP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

Hi, when I update my Roots M5 data to Roots M5 TG it reports 'data is same size' but 'dates are older' every time I update?
I have run RM5 fron RM5TG and data is correct and upto date!
Any ideas?
Regards,
Kev

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Yes. Every time you open a database or, rather, close it, RM makes some slight update (like storing the RIN of the person selected at the time you close it). So even though the visible data is unchanged, and maybe even no change in the last view data, the file timestamp is changed. If all you ever do is open and close alternately your database on the local drive and your database on the falsh drive, you will be see this message alternating between newer and older.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:27 PM

Could you describe your error in a little more detail? There was a bug in the RM-to-Go's handling of timestamps on FAT and FAT32 flash drives in RM4, and the bug appears not to be fixed in RM5. The root cause of the problem is really a poor design in the way Windows handles handles timestamps on FAT and FAT32 drives. But any file synchronization program such as RM-to-Go must adapt itself somehow or other to the poor design in Windows.

Are you saying that even after you run RM-to-Go it still says the files have different timestamps? If so, that is one of the symptoms that results from the RM-to-Go bug. So please describe your problem in a little more detail.

If on the other hand, you have simply opened RM5 to look around without changing anything, then Tom's analysis would apply to your problem rather than a bug in RM-to-Go.

Jerry

#4 KevinP

KevinP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

c22m48
TomH

Hi, many thanks for your replies.
Sorry for delay in response.

The data change was quite large, so significant that I was suprised no change appeared.

I checked to see what the data size was on each file. I noticed no difference but did notice that my computer is NTFS and my 16g Flash drive was FAT.
I decided to reformat to NTFS. It would not do it so I had to reformat in FAT.

I reinstalled RMTgo.
I transfered data to RMTgo.
I did more genealogy, again a large amount of data.
Backed Up
Transferred to RMTgo.
Did some more genealogy involving data but not a large amount.
Backed Up
Transferred to RMTgo. This time it was reporting same dates but...! RMTgo was larger than Computer.
I checked program using RMTgo then RM and could see no difference.
I allowed the RMTgo to transfer it;s file to computer.
Did a check and my RM appeared ok with no difference.

I have not used it since, but I will respond when I do (today).

Further to this the problem has not occured before. I normally only get a size diffence when I have worked on RMTgo not Computer which I would expect.

Many thanks once again,
Kev

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

As has happened before, calling the instance of RootsMagic launched from the flash drive as "RMTgo" or some other variant of "RootsMagic To Go" is totally confusing. "RootsMagic To Go" is the utility program that compares between files that RootsMagic (the program installed on the main drive) normally accesses and files that RootsMagic 'portable' (the program installed on the removable drive) normally accesses. If you could carefully and consistently use the following abbreviations, your descriptions of what you are doing will be much clearer.

RM2GO : the utility, RootsMagic To Go

RM5 : the program installed on the computer
RM5p: the program installed by RM2GO on the removable drive

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.