• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 colby

colby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

I am wondering if you know kinda know when rootsmagic is going to come out on mac? I have a mac but i use parallels and it runs so slow so i just want to use the mac

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

All the development tools are not yet available for the conversion.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

I am wondering if you know kinda know when rootsmagic is going to come out on mac? I have a mac but i use parallels and it runs so slow so i just want to use the mac

There have been a number of threads on how to run RM4 on a MAC. I don't know why it wouldn't work the same. You will pay a performance penalty running an emulator, like parallels. Have you tried Wine or its commercial counterpart? They should run quite a bit faster. Also, do you put your RM database on the parallels virtual hard drive? I would think that would slow it down a lot.

#4 jenlane57

jenlane57

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:26 PM

I am very interested in hearing from those who have used RM on the Crossover platform. At Silver status... one should expect some issues. My question is, what issues have others experienced? I've thought about using it, but until recently, I needed to have Windows on my computer anyway, in order to use the MSAccess Database.

I am currently on a 2008 MacBook Pro, running OSX Leopard. I run WinXP as a virtual file using VMWare Fusion 2.0.5 (I know... an old version, but if it ain't broken...). Though I do think Fusion is a little better than Parallels, both split the system resources between the "mac-side" and the "windows-side," limiting resources to each. I cannot keep Fusion open all the time if I want to do serious work in Final Cut or Aperture. So, each time I want to work on genealogy, I have to open Fusion, which "wakes" Windows, then open the software, etc. I am still not sure I want to give up MSAccess, but am thinking hard about it -and getting rid of Windows programs completely (except Word & Excel, but FOR MAC).

My primary database is still in FTM 2006 (and it was hard to leave FTM10 for that version... but I needed the additional space in Notes). I've tried, for years, to find another program to which I was willing to fully commit. I've tried them all, I think, though the only ones I actually liked enough to purchase were Legacy 7 and RM4 (and now RM5). I did purchase several of the FTM upgrades, including the one for Mac, but only because they were essentially free (cost for platinum version that included 6-mos membership to ancestry.com was equal to the cost of membership, anyway). Most of the Mac-based programs were simply not powerful enough for real research.

I've finally decided that RM is the program that will soon house my primary database (I just wish RM5 had included some of the enhancement requests that would have made data clean-up easier). Though I'd dearly love to choose TMG for its incredible flexibility and power, I cannot help but be concerned about the ultimate limitations (based on FoxPro... dead, dead, dead).

#5 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

I currently run RM4 and RM5 on a iMac with 4gb of memory. I use OSX Lion, Fusion 3., Windows 7.

Here is my experience with this combination: I keep fusion open all of the time so it is very quick to start up RM.

The speed of RM is quick as if running on a Windows PC with W7 installed. One thing that can make it slow is how you install Fusion. If you put RM data on the Mac drive as a network drive it slows down. So you need to watch how you set up Fusion and it's file layout. I am sure less memory can also cause this problem but I think disk setup is the biggest cause.

The only problems that I have is several times during use I will see the screens get messed up for RM. I will see parts on one screen that don't close completely mixed with the new screen. To fix this I have to close RM and restart then it works for a time then it will happen again. I will also see when a window that is being closed that a gray box the size of the screen will stay displayed. The only way to remove this is to switch Fusion to full screen and then back to unity. Closing RM and restarting the program will not fix this problem. If I run RM in full screen I do not have these problems and RM runs great you just have to switch back and forth between W7 and OSX which is quick and not like having to re-boot like in using Boot Camp.

I have not had any data problems or crashes associated with running the program in this setup.

I tried using crossover but found I did not like it so I switched back to using Fusion. I don't remember what the problem was with crossover.

If you have to close down fusion in order to recover the resources needed to run OSX I would suggest that you try Boot Camp which is part of the OSX install. The reason I don't use Boot Camp is the fact that you have to re-boot each time you want to switch to Windows. The only program I run in the Fusion-Windows 7 is RM4 and RM5.

If you have any questions let me know and I will try to help. I am with you and have tried several program. I also like TMG and have looked at version 8 but I don't think I will switch back. I am now trying FTM For Mac 2 and it seems pretty good for a first release. It dose crash sometimes and the conversion is difficult. I keep hoping that RM will come out with a version for the Mac that I can switch to in my life time. The same for Reunion.

Roger

#6 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

Because I couldn't "wait" to get PAF files brought into New Family Search, I am running Version 5 on my MacBook Pro 17" (Snow Leopard) using Boot Camp and Windows 8 Developer Preview (free). AutoMatch kept locking on me, but I think the real issue was with the converted PAF files having bogus dates (4715 or so BC, etc. legacy entries).

I'm still trying to resolve issues that became apparent from PAF versions where the databases became corrupted that paired men-to-men as parents of families, etc. (and no, I do not know how to resolve those issues yet in the database in RootsMagic 5 so I can then transfer the correct info over to New Family Search).

Yes, I have seen the popping/flash left-column-refresh as entities get updated.

I am so glad I tripped over this program, so I don't have to manually move files to New Family Search manually (an older PAF file that has 72,000 names with around 60,000 currently matched so far). AutoMatch in Version 5 is "way cool"!

#7 Jonathan Bejarano

Jonathan Bejarano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

OK so I have a tutorial on how to install RootsMagic on the Mac with screenshots without installing Windows! This solution uses Wine, and it is available for free. I ran it on my 4th Generation MacBook with no issues, and have also created a tutorial for Ubuntu. I am a CS Major at BYU and have it as part of a my webpage I am building for internet programming:

http://students.cs.b...tsMagicWine.php

Enjoy!

#8 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Jonathan's solution (Wine) works! :D