3 replies to this topic

#1 mjski

mjski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

Is there any way to change the default role for a fact type, say for the will fact type from witness to heir (custom role)?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

You can edit the built-in fact's roles, effectively swapping Heir for Witness by renaming them and swapping the sentences. Heir will now be the second role in the list instead of witness with the internal ID that was formerly that of Witness. Of course that may not be acceptable if you have some people needing the Witness role - you will have to find them and reassign their role.
Another approach is to use a SQLite query to change the RoleID for the person sharing the fact; that, too may get a bit complicated if there are some who must remain Witnesses.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 cajflem

cajflem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

Sounds like a plan - now, since I can't find SQLite in the help topics or index, can you point me to a how-to on that?

Charles Fleming
Fort Worth TX

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:00 PM

RootsMagic is built on the SQLite database engine but does not provide any user interface for direct or scripted SQLite commands. What you can do with SQLite has to be done outside RM and without support from RM Inc. The link in my signature is to the user-generated wiki that is the best, if not only, source for this activity.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.