• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wquatan

wquatan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:58 AM

In RM5, it's allowed to enter a very long Occupation-Description and Death-Description.

When they are exported to GEDCOM (OCCU and CAUS), they are exported in one long line and not split up with continuation lines (CONC).

When this is not supported by the GEDCOM-specs for these OCCU and CAUS, RM5 should only allow to enter the maximum number of characters.

BTW, when re-imported into RM5, everything beyond position 80 of the GEDCOM-line is truncated, as it should be, but with the CONC the whole description would have been re-imported (again, when GEDCOM-specs allow this).

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

I check with the RootsMagician on this and the response is:

The GEDCOM spec doesn't allow me to use CONC for those descriptions, so I would need to shorten that description field. However a bunch of users have already entered long data in those fields so that would cause them to lose that data anyways.

It is best for us to leave it the way it is right now.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

But that just leaves the trap open for the unwary. Surely there must be a way to monitor the length of the string being entered and to raise a warning, if not constrain the length. And this can be made to allow existing entries to remain, albeit with warning. For example, the warning could be changing the data entry field background to yellow, just as is done for invalid dates.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

I have noted your suggestion in our tracing system for consideration.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

Agree with Tom that this issue is problematic for the past and future unwary. I'd also prefer that entry length be restricted going forward, but am unsure how best to alert those who'd be facing GEDCOM issues if they didn't reduce the length of any existing offending entries.