8 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:41 AM

Here's a problem I run into from time to time.
I'm trying to lay hands on a list recent of books that are not available in my local libraries. (e.g. Anderson's Great Migration Immigrants, Boyer's Ancestral Lines:, and many, many more). Through WorldCat I have found that some books are in libraries that I might reasonably visit (e.g. Houston, Birmingham, Atlanta) and I have To-Do items set up for these cities. Well, quite by surprise I was invited to accompany someone on a trip to Tampa. I had not been to Tampa in 35 years and had no notion I'd be going there a week before-hand. I had two days in the main library where I located some of these sources and got a lot of good information. However, too late I realized that they had other books I had not searched for.

What I'm looking for is a way to keep a source "Wish List" that I can use either with WorldCat or the local catalog to see if any of the books I'm looking for can be found where I'm going. The current system does not seem to support this sort of list.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

Here's a problem I run into from time to time.

What I'm looking for is a way to keep a source "Wish List" that I can use either with WorldCat or the local catalog to see if any of the books I'm looking for can be found where I'm going. The current system does not seem to support this sort of list.

You can create your own, in a word processing software or Excel/Spreadsheet as many of us do. I use WordCat a lot, and enjoy it, but yes there are libraries that do not show up there. Example: In GA Macon Public Library, I found from another researcher, has a lot of MD records, not found at Cobb Library or Atlanta History Museum Library. So yes keep a list outside of RM or any other software package. It works for me.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

I think there may be a couple of ways you might do this in RM. You could create a dummy person with a meaningful name such as !LIBRARIES, Search and add a source for each book you are looking for, filling in the Repository window. Then do a Repository report for the target library.
Likewise, if you know the book is a resource for a particular person, you could add a custom fact such as Research with the desired book as a source and then same report.
Not sure if the To-Do features cannot be used for this, too. I'm away from my RM computer so can't be sure of any of the above...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

Using the new Research log looks promising though I haven't fine tuned just where I would put what data.

Go to Lists, Research Manager and create a General Research log with the name of Source Wish List.

Add a Research item for each book.

For this log, the Ref# could be the Library of Congress number for a book.

What you are trying to find could include surnames or persons you are looking for. It also could include what subjects the source covers, i.e. Kentucky, Wilkes County probate and wills.

What source did you check would be the source, i.e. book name, author, pub. date, Vol. No.

Where did you check would be the repositories, i.e. the libraries you already know has the source.

What were the results of your search would be surnames found/not found, specific person's found/not found, etc.

For a report, Go to Lists, Research Manager and highlight the Source Wish List log and Print.

Choose Sort research items by from the drop down list.

Choose the columns to include.

And save the report in the desired format.

#5 leeirons

leeirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

You can create your own, in a word processing software or Excel/Spreadsheet as many of us do. I use WordCat a lot, and enjoy it, but yes there are libraries that do not show up there. Example: In GA Macon Public Library, I found from another researcher, has a lot of MD records, not found at Cobb Library or Atlanta History Museum Library. So yes keep a list outside of RM or any other software package. It works for me.

I know you mean well, Nettie, but Don is asking for a solution in Roots Magic that would help him with this. :) Trying to keep track of things in two or three or ten different places (RM research log, RM to-do list, scratch paper, spiral bound notebook, and an ancient written list of helpful things to remember) is what causes people to miss/forget things. :rolleyes: In an ideal world, everything a researcher needs would be at their fingertips through a single software program. We are not in an ideal world yet, but suggestions like the one made by Don is what get us there.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

Using the new Research log looks promising though I haven't fine tuned just where I would put what data.

Go to Lists, Research Manager and create a General Research log with the name of Source Wish List.

Add a Research item for each book.

For this log, the Ref# could be the Library of Congress number for a book.

What you are trying to find could include surnames or persons you are looking for. It also could include what subjects the source covers, i.e. Kentucky, Wilkes County probate and wills.

What source did you check would be the source, i.e. book name, author, pub. date, Vol. No.

Where did you check would be the repositories, i.e. the libraries you already know has the source.

What were the results of your search would be surnames found/not found, specific person's found/not found, etc.

For a report, Go to Lists, Research Manager and highlight the Source Wish List log and Print.

Choose Sort research items by from the drop down list.

Choose the columns to include.

And save the report in the desired format.

While beta testing RM5 I played with storing information on my sources similar to what Laura describes. You can really use the fields for anything you want. I saved the report as a RTF file and changed the column headers to what I wanted. Worked really good. Nice way to keep a sortable list inside of RM.

This is really a discussion item so I have moved this thread.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:33 PM

While beta testing RM5 I played with storing information on my sources similar to what Laura describes. You can really use the fields for anything you want. I saved the report as a RTF file and changed the column headers to what I wanted. Worked really good. Nice way to keep a sortable list inside of RM.

Renee, I so agree.

Since I posted I have started a General Research Log for research sources like books and CD's that I have in my personal library. I have always wanted a way to keep a list in RM other than using up a repository for sources.

Reference number: Book, CD, etc.

What were you trying to find: Subject of book, CD, etc., i.e. Cemetery, AR, Independence

What source did you check: The source information, Book, author, publisher, etc.

Where did you check (repository and call#)?: Where I bought the book, etc. [If I remember]

If I save the log to a text or PDF file, I can put the file on my smartphone and Kindle fire for reference away from home.

Having the Research Log is definitely a opportunity to think out of the box.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

Renee, I so agree.

Since I posted I have started a General Research Log for research sources like books and CD's that I have in my personal library. I have always wanted a way to keep a list in RM other than using up a repository for sources.

Reference number: Book, CD, etc.

What were you trying to find: Subject of book, CD, etc., i.e. Cemetery, AR, Independence

What source did you check: The source information, Book, author, publisher, etc.

Where did you check (repository and call#)?: Where I bought the book, etc. [If I remember]

If I save the log to a text or PDF file, I can put the file on my smartphone and Kindle fire for reference away from home.

Having the Research Log is definitely a opportunity to think out of the box.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

You could also put in the first Research Log Entry what you are using the various fields for.
Renee
RootsMagic