• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bjstarmans

bjstarmans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:38 AM

Quite a number of my (British) ancestral lines go back into the 1600's. In Britian, prior to 1837, there is seldom any evidence of when a person was born or died. Instead, I have christen and burial dates. It would be really helpful if these dates showed up in the RM Explorer list, possibly with brackets around them. This would make finding the right person much easier. For example, I have nine men called George Williams who have blanks in the born/died fields. The only way to pick the right one is to tab down through them looking at the information on the right side of the screen.

#2 bjstarmans

bjstarmans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

In my database, there are 10 "George Williams" and 8 "George Brown"s none of whom have birth/death dates but who do have christened/burial dates, not to mention other popular family names. It would be wonderful if RM Explorer displayed Chr/Bu dates (perhaps in brackets?) to make selecting the right person easier.

#3 leeirons

leeirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:56 AM

You probably meant to post this under your previous post. However, just in case you are unfamiliar with common forum etiquette, you should not post the same topic in the same forum twice. It makes it difficult for the forum participants and the software developers to find all of the information for the topic in one place. It also makes it appear that you are "hogging" the forum with your topic. ;)

I agree that what you ask for would be helpful for many people and it should be relatively easy enough to provide this capability (I have seen it done in other software).

I avoid this problem by using christening and burial evidence to draw conclusions on birth dates and death dates. So I would create separate birth and death facts for a given person, put my guess of the birth and death dates in them, and add a note to the birth and death facts that explains how I came up with the dates using christening and burial evidence. This would work in your case since the Explorer list only provides the year. It is easy enough to guess that the birth year and death year are likely the same as the christening year and burial year, taking into account when things happen in the December/January time frame.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:18 PM

In the meantime, I use the Alternate name fact when I have people with the same name.

I enter the name as it is entered.

In the suffix field within [], I enter whatever will remind me who that person is, family member(s), or place they lived, or special date(s). etc.

I mark the fact private.

I seldom pick the wrong name now when using the Alternate fact to pick them from.

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

Lee, some people occasionally receive some sort of timeout error message when posting (not realizing that the post actually took), so use the back button and try again. I suspect that's what happened here since it was in the same subforum. Anyway, Renee tries to clean things up by deleting these duplicate posts, so perhaps on Monday.

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1647 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

Many times when not having the birth dates etc but have the Baptism/Christening, I will put the Baptism date in the Birth fact with 'bef date' and say in the notes or Source Detail/more Text now Research Notes the reason for the bef. Baptism or Christening is usually after the birth. This has helped a lot with many duplicate names each for a different individual.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#7 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

Lee, some people occasionally receive some sort of timeout error message when posting (not realizing that the post actually took), so use the back button and try again. I suspect that's what happened here since it was in the same subforum. Anyway, Renee tries to clean things up by deleting these duplicate posts, so perhaps on Monday.

I get this sort of error all the time. I've learned not to click "refresh" but to back up, copy the text, and go back to the forum to see if the post actually took or not. Usually, even though there was an error, my information was posted.

#8 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

In my database, there are 10 "George Williams" and 8 "George Brown"s none of whom have birth/death dates but who do have christened/burial dates, not to mention other popular family names. It would be wonderful if RM Explorer displayed Chr/Bu dates (perhaps in brackets?) to make selecting the right person easier.

If you notice, when you resort children by birth date RM4 will now use christen date if no birth date exists. It use to be that it would not do that.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic