• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wquatan

wquatan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:34 AM

When I want to generate all Family Group Sheets for my database, around 534 Sheets, this isn't workeable.

It's slow-slow-slow, takes hours to accomplish the "generate report" ! Yesterday, after two hours of waiting and being at 50%, I went sleeping leaving it running overnight, meaning I don't know "how many" hours it took finally. To be clear, this ain't a one-timer, it's structural - repeatable, and PC performance/memory can't be involved.

It's a performance issue, which is degrading while sheets are processed, processing time per sheet increases(based upon the counter shown).

It's certainly not related to the Publisher as generating the Individual Summaries (with highest level of detail) for the whole database is completed within minutes, which is good.

Neither is it related to the creation of the Name/Place indexes. Having them deselected doesn't impact noticeable;

As a previous post of mine got removed, at risk of being removed too : I want to give an indication : in FTM2006 the same Family Group Sheets (imported from RM5 via GEDCOM) with the same level of detail take minutes (10-15?). I can't compare with RM3 or RM4.

As being not workeable, I really hope there will be looked into this,and that we will not have to wait till next release.

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

When I want to generate all Family Group Sheets for my database, around 534 Sheets, this isn't workeable.

It's slow-slow-slow, takes hours to accomplish the "generate report" ! Yesterday, after two hours of waiting and being at 50%, I went sleeping leaving it running overnight, meaning I don't know "how many" hours it took finally. To be clear, this ain't a one-timer, it's structural - repeatable, and PC performance/memory can't be involved.

It's a performance issue, which is degrading while sheets are processed, processing time per sheet increases(based upon the counter shown).

It's certainly not related to the Publisher as generating the Individual Summaries (with highest level of detail) for the whole database is completed within minutes, which is good.

Neither is it related to the creation of the Name/Place indexes. Having them deselected doesn't impact noticeable;

As a previous post of mine got removed, at risk of being removed too : I want to give an indication : in FTM2006 the same Family Group Sheets (imported from RM5 via GEDCOM) with the same level of detail take minutes (10-15?). I can't compare with RM3 or RM4.

As being not workeable, I really hope there will be looked into this,and that we will not have to wait till next release.

This operation was much faster in RootsMagic Version 3, but the group sheets were in no particular order.

In both RM4 and RM5 the group sheets are in alphabetic order. I also agree that the creation is much slower. But this is something I do not do often. I would never print the entire set due to cost of ink, paper and 3 ring binders.

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:32 PM

I just tested the generation of multiple family group sheets versus multiple individual summary sheets. I was using RM Essentials 5.0.0.6 on a Vista 64 bit system.

1] For individual summary sheets, I asked for ancestors of my son for 100 generations even though there are not that many. The report included 976 pages and took about 15 seconds. The names appear to be in alphabetic order.

2] For the ancestor family group sheets for my son, I asked for just 5 generations. The report of 67 pages took 70 seconds. Likewise, they appear to be in alphabtic order.

I had no intent to look at many of these sheets or to print them. This was a speed test comparison only.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

Noted reports of slow speed in generating multiple family groups sheets into our tracking system for resolution.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 R Steven

R Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:54 AM

Noted reports of slow speed in generating multiple family groups sheets into our tracking system for resolution.

Renee,

Since another poster reported fast speeds, please let me confirm that the speeds are excessively slow for me as well. Rather than trying to create sheets for hundreds of people, I was only trying to do a report with about 60 families. I agree with the other posted that printing hundreds of group sheets for a 3-ring binder would be rather expensive. However, 60 is something I might want to take with me on a research trip. In my case, I was interested in printing a PDF file to share with someone else. The 60 sheets I was printing took an hour or more (some individual sheets took longer than five minutes to print).

You may want to see if the slowness is related to the number of citations in the database. My sheets are heavily documented and have many notes. There were 3300 citations in the 60+ group sheets I printed. Nevertheless, this was very slow printing compared to printing a comparable report using other programs.

#6 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

Renee,

Since another poster reported fast speeds, please let me confirm that the speeds are excessively slow for me as well. Rather than trying to create sheets for hundreds of people, I was only trying to do a report with about 60 families. I agree with the other posted that printing hundreds of group sheets for a 3-ring binder would be rather expensive. However, 60 is something I might want to take with me on a research trip. In my case, I was interested in printing a PDF file to share with someone else. The 60 sheets I was printing took an hour or more (some individual sheets took longer than five minutes to print).

You may want to see if the slowness is related to the number of citations in the database. My sheets are heavily documented and have many notes. There were 3300 citations in the 60+ group sheets I printed. Nevertheless, this was very slow printing compared to printing a comparable report using other programs.

I assume you mean report generation time rather than actual time to print the report.

And as a clarification, the fast time I reported was for an entire set of individual summary reports. In both cases, they are in alphabetic order. Thanks, Bruce.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

I have a note back from the RootsMagician on this issue.

This is due to all the tables in a single document (every group sheet is a separate table). This is a problem with WPTools and can't be addressed until we completely rewrite the report engine.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

This is due to all the tables in a single document (every group sheet is a separate table). This is a problem with WPTools and can't be addressed until we completely rewrite the report engine.

Which I would think would make it Priority 3 or greater. We've had the same report engine since when ..... FO days?

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3504 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:30 AM

Please add the long overdue ability to select entries on reports and go direct to edit person like FTM had back in the 90's

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

Please add the long overdue ability to select entries on reports and go direct to edit person like FTM had back in the 90's

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic