Still wishing for ability to privatize sources

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_L. J._*

Guest_L. J._*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

In a post to the RootsMagic Users Group on 4 June 2010, I expressed my wish for the option to privatize an individual source for a given fact while still allowing the fact itself and other sources attached to it to appear in reports. I had hoped that feature would be added to Version 5, but apparently it has not. Not being able to privatize sources continues to be a serious concern to those of us who want to preserve all sources for our own use while still being careful to respect the wishes of interviewees who shared information privately on the condition that it not be disseminated further.

In addition, I would like to be able to mark and "suppress" any number of sources associated with a particular fact from a given report, without eliminating those sources from the database or eliminating the associated fact from the report. Again, I want to preserve all sources for my own use, but I'd like to produce "cleaner" reports that aren't cluttered with many sources per fact--some repetitious or of dubious additional value once the research has been concluded, such as multiple census reports of a person's age in addition to a birth certificate documenting the birth fact. While I might want to see every source I checked for a particular bit of information, many family members are interested only in the results of my research, not in the process that produced it. Having a "suppress source" function would make for faster editing of reports addressed to that audience.

I don't know what technical difficulties might be involved in creating "privatize source" and "suppress source" options, but I hope they can be included in a future update. Of the two, the ability to exclude a source from all reports ("privatize source") is by far the more important to me. Thank you for considering my request.

Linda Johnson

#2 Helen

Helen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

I agree with both of your requests. Although I am most interested in the "suppress source" option. I might in the future want to "privatize source". I still have some information that my father did not want published to other members of the family.
Helen

#3 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

Linda and Helen,

I am new to RM, but quite frankly can't believe it is at Version 5 without the ability to 'attach' sources, but omit them from output. I attach EVERY source I have seen that supports an assertion, but I may only want to include my two BEST sources in output. I'm endorsing Linda's wish, but believe my desire is for something a bit different. Linda wants to 'Privatize' (inhibit) a Source from showing on any output. I would like to see control at the citation level. I would like to see better OVERALL MANAGEMENT of Citations, ie., ability to order them and inhibit output, individually.

Paul

#4 Guest_L. J._*

Guest_L. J._*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

Paul,

What you are wishing for is what I called the ability to "suppress" one or more sources from printing in any given report. I'd definitely like to be able to do that because, as you suggested, I want to attach every source that supports an assertion but don't necessarily want someone less familiar than I am with my research to be put off by a long string of sources when citing only the best one (or two, as you prefer) would better serve my purpose. I agree with you that some sort of control at the citation level would probably be the way to accomplish that goal. I very much wish that feature could be added to a forthcoming update to RM5.

I also wish for the ability to "privatize" a source (keep it from printing in ALL reports, lists, or GEDCOMS) for those few cases in which someone has given me information on the condition that I not share his/her name and contact information with anyone else. It's currently possible to privatize the fact or facts involved, but not the source, which costs me extra time and trouble (and anxiety), checking to be sure I won't violate the source's confidentiality before sending information to someone else.

So my wish is a two-part one: (1) to be able to keep one or more sources for any given fact from printing in a particular report and (2) to exclude any given source from ALL reports, lists, or GEDCOMS without having to manually edit each one after it's generated.

Thanks for posting your desire for the first feature.

Linda

Linda and Helen,

I am new to RM, but quite frankly can't believe it is at Version 5 without the ability to 'attach' sources, but omit them from output. I attach EVERY source I have seen that supports an assertion, but I may only want to include my two BEST sources in output. I'm endorsing Linda's wish, but believe my desire is for something a bit different. Linda wants to 'Privatize' (inhibit) a Source from showing on any output. I would like to see control at the citation level. I would like to see better OVERALL MANAGEMENT of Citations, ie., ability to order them and inhibit output, individually.

Paul

#5 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

IOW, we would like to see "Global"/"Local" inhibition of Source Citations.

Paul

#6 Guest_L. J._*

Guest_L. J._*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:14 AM

That's it in a nutshell.

Linda

#7 leeirons

leeirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:30 PM

I can see how this would be helpful to many users.

Again, I want to preserve all sources for my own use, but I'd like to produce "cleaner" reports that aren't cluttered with many sources per fact--some repetitious or of dubious additional value once the research has been concluded, such as multiple census reports of a person's age in addition to a birth certificate documenting the birth fact.

Regarding your concern of the repetitious use of sources for various attributes of a person, I have a method I follow that enables me to attach a given source citation to only one fact and use the one fact for all persons and all of their attributes that are impacted by the source citation. I have posted my method in another forum topic. Click here to see it.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8334 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic