8 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

I would like to see the capability to copy the coding on the NEW Timeline View that permits optional Reverse Sorting of Places and be able to Paste it onto the OLD Place List. ;)

Anyone else?

#2 leeirons

leeirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:25 AM

Could you explain this in layman's terms, so us newbies can understand what you are asking for? :)

I think you are saying that you want the RM4 Place List view back, but you want Reverse Place Names capability with it.

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:56 AM

Paul, would a similar "Reverse place names" checkbox in the Place List screen be sufficient for your needs?

#4 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

Paul, would a similar "Reverse place names" checkbox in the Place List screen be sufficient for your needs?

Romer, leeirons, et al.,

Sorry for the confusion. I thought the 'wink' at the end of the post would convey my humorous sarcasm. Yes, what I am actually asking for, as many others have in the past, is the same "Reverse place names" checkbox in the Place List. It showed up in V5 on the Timeline View, but in spite of numerous requests in the past, it failed to make it to the Place List. Probably should report a 'bug' in the Tracking System. So, in lieu of the programmers' inability to include it, I was asking for the capability to copy and paste the programming code, myself. If you don't ask, you'll never know.

Paul

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

Paul, the reason I asked about the Place List specifically was that I wasn't sure if you were wanting an option for the reversed place names to also be reflected throughout the program in terms of the various views, screens, reports, etc, as well.

I think that an issue/bug (versus a wish list item/enhancement) refers to functionality that wasn't working as the programmer intended. I'm guessing that the ability to reverse Place List names will probably be considered an enhancement since it wasn't an option in RM4. As you say, hopefully the code can be somewhat lifted from the Timeline feature.

#6 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

Paul, the reason I asked about the Place List specifically was that I wasn't sure if you were wanting an option for the reversed place names to also be reflected throughout the program in terms of the various views, screens, reports, etc, as well.

I think that an issue/bug (versus a wish list item/enhancement) refers to functionality that wasn't working as the programmer intended. I'm guessing that the ability to reverse Place List names will probably be considered an enhancement since it wasn't an option in RM4. As you say, hopefully the code can be somewhat lifted from the Timeline feature.

Romer,

Sorry for all the confusion, but let me try to clear this all up. I am only looking for a Reversed Place Names option in the Place List. I'm puzzled at the reason it was put in the Timeline View and am not sure of its usefulness there. I am also puzzled that the 'feature' could be developed for the Timeline View, but not included in the Place View, where it has been requested for quite some time. I'm sure that request has been in the tracking system, ergo, my reference to reporting a bug in the above posting was referring to a possible 'bug' in the Tracking System. It's called humor. If I really thought it was a bug I would be in the Issues section.

Bottom Line

I STILL wish the Place List had the option to display places in reverse hierarchical order. And I'm not kidding.

Paul

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:38 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3403 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:03 AM

I STILL wish the Place List had the option to display places in reverse hierarchical order. And I'm not kidding.

Paul, did you see the mock up which was done some time ago for RM4?

RM don't seem to be willing to PIN the Place enhancements so for some reason they do not seem to be priority but I am sure the group and RM would find any other thoughts you may have on places after viewing the mock up - http://www.vyger.co....st-ultimate.png

If RM don't grab the places junkies maybe some other vendor will ;)

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#9 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

Paul, did you see the mock up which was done some time ago for RM4?

RM don't seem to be willing to PIN the Place enhancements so for some reason they do not seem to be priority but I am sure the group and RM would find any other thoughts you may have on places after viewing the mock up - http://www.vyger.co....st-ultimate.png

If RM don't grab the places junkies maybe some other vendor will ;)

Vyger,

Yes, I have seen your mock up and it strives to improve the VIEW of Places, but for a variety of reasons, I would like to see the whole Place Structure tossed aside for a relational record system. I can't believe that more developers have not gone this route with places. What I am talking about is a separate database record for each ENTITY that would link to other ENTITIES to form a string we would recognize as a Place. There should be ONE record for the United States, ONE record for the state of Ohio, ONE record for Morgan County in Ohio, ONE record for Penn Township in Morgan County, Ohio, and ONE record for the town of Pennsville in those places, and ONE record for the Quaker Cemetery located there. Once they are all linked, you have Quaker Cemetery, Pennsville, Penn Township, Morgan County, Ohio, United States.

Some of the advantages of this system:

You can have Name Variations for locations, but they refer to the same physical place. At one time Pennsville might have been Penns Village. The appropriate name could be used for the time of an event, but it would still be the same place.

If you want to see what Places you have in Morgan County, Ohio, you can go to the county's record and view Links to all lower level places OR Facts that took place in that location. Double clicking a link would take you to that record. I can't believe in RM5 you still have to 'print' a report to show what Facts took place in a Place and can't dynamically navigate to them.

For an antiquated example: http://genbox.com/tour/places1.htm

Click the 'Continue' button to see the other tabs.

Paul