• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wquatan

wquatan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

I had sent the below to the support-email, but seems I haven't to expect any answer or reply :-(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I upgraded today to RM5 (from RM4 and before RM3).

I must say, I'm deeply disappointed, because of the important limitation still there in the Publisher.

It's still not possible to
- add the "Family Group Sheet" to the Book while indicating that the Family Group Sheets have to be printed for ALL family's in the database (at printing time)
- add the "Individual Summary" to the Book while indicating that the Individual Summaries have to be printed for ALL individuals in the database (at printing time)

Doing so, a book could contain some reports, all Family Group Sheets, all Individual Summaries, some lists, and an index also referring to the Family Group Sheets and Individual Summaries.

This is really not understandable that this is not possible.

It's the solely reason why, after some testing, I always go back to an old version of Family Tree Maker which gives always the possibility to select one or multiple or all persons in the database

Too bad for Rootsmagic, which is a great product (except for the missing language packs for reporting purposes)

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

I am confirming your enhancement request is in the tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 jcdrootsmagic

jcdrootsmagic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I have noticed in the Forums that the absence of an index for the Individual Summary report has been discussed. I found one Forum topic on this subject as far back as 2006. It seems that this glaring deficiency in RM has been pointed out many times yet the nothing seems to have been done about it. That "enhancement request tracking system" must have a long list.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

I made an Individual Summary for one person with parents, 3 wives and 20 children. All that data was on one page. At the most more wives and children would probably send it to a second page.

I can't see what use a Name Index would be.

#5 jcdrootsmagic

jcdrootsmagic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

In reply to Laura, if you have only one or two individuals for whom the report is made, you are correct. No need for an index. But if you had created an Individual Summary report for say 100 individuals all in one report, then you would need an index, particularly since the individuals for whom the report is created seems to be ordered by ID number. The Individual Summary report can be made for any number of individuals in the database. Other genealogy software I have looked at has indexed individual summary reports, such as Legacy Family Tree, TMG, etc., so I don't understand why RM does not have it.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

I played around with creating a book in Publisher to test adding several Individual Summaries there and generating an index. I found that it does not include the index even though selected. I have added this as an issue in our tracking system. Confirming we have an enhancement request to generate an index for multiple Individual Summary reports in the tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 jcdrootsmagic

jcdrootsmagic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

That is correct Renee. If you notice when an Individual Summary report is generated as a standalone report there is no option/tab for "Indexes". Therefore when the report is generated and saved in the RTF format there are no index entry marks on the names for generating a name index. However, when generating say a Family Group Sheet standalone report there is an option/tab for "Indexes" and indeed there are index entry marks in the RTF file for the names in this report. It will be great to get this capability added to RM since generating Individual Summary reports and sections in books is my favorite way of displaying my work.

Thanks very much for your help.

Joe Davis.