5 replies to this topic

#1 leeirons

leeirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:32 AM

I am a prior Legacy Family Tree User. I have just made the move to Roots Magic 5. Because of the data structure that Legacy uses for Events/Facts, I have need of someone who is willing to write a SQLite routine that will merge facts that are the same into shared facts. THere are many Legacy users who would be able to use this when making the transition to Roots Magic. I have already tried doing this manually, and it took me 2 hours to create shared facts for two events associated with one family. Doing this manually for a file of over 6000 persons would be nuts. The particular details of what the merge needs to do are written in my special Merge Wish List Request that I posted in the Wish List forum. However, even if the Roots Magic folks decide to build a special merge function, we probably will not see it until Roots Magic 6, and I would hate to wait that long.

#2 leeirons

leeirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

Is there anyone who knows how to program in SQLite who would care to take up this challenge for me and all of the other Legacy Users?

If not, is there anyone who can tell me the tables in the Roots Magic database scheme that I need to work with to sort this out, manually in Excel spreadsheets if I have to?

Lee

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:07 PM

Lee, I could look into this in a week or so, after I am reunited with my Windows computer. No promises of a favourable outcome and I would want at least a sample of your database and a GEDCOM from Legacy. IIRC, the EventTable is one that will be affected and it is editable. Another is likely the RoleTable...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 leeirons

leeirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:05 AM

Lee, I could look into this in a week or so, after I am reunited with my Windows computer. No promises of a favourable outcome and I would want at least a sample of your database and a GEDCOM from Legacy. IIRC, the EventTable is one that will be affected and it is editable. Another is likely the RoleTable...

Thanks TomH. How would you like for me to send them to you?

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:48 AM

1322809527[/url]' post='47148']
Thanks TomH. How would you like for me to send them to you?

I sent you a PM.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:32 PM

Closing the loop, the follow-up discussion with a solution is continued at this message in the Wish List forum.