• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lakota

lakota

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

When I went from RM4 to 5 my media data was not converted. It said it was but when I went to the families it was not converted. It was moved from the individual facts media to the gallery media but they all have big red x's.

Now I have to delete the old media and add it again as new. I have tried the tools search to find the data but it is not always

working. Sometimes it comes up and says no media available. I have approximately 22,000 names in my files. Is there a fix for this?

#2 boltongenes

boltongenes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

When I went from RM4 to 5 my media data was not converted. It said it was but when I went to the families it was not converted. It was moved from the individual facts media to the gallery media but they all have big red x's.

Now I have to delete the old media and add it again as new. I have tried the tools search to find the data but it is not always

working. Sometimes it comes up and says no media available. I have approximately 22,000 names in my files. Is there a fix for this?

Did you back up your file before converting to RM5? If so try the upgrade again and re-check to see if the problem still exists. I successfully upgraded a file which had links to 3000+ media files, many of which had been linked multiple times to multiple people because I couldn't stand using the old media gallery. It took about 20 minutes but got though it OK. Make sure that you are not running any other programs to ensure you computer has access to all of its processing power.

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2069 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

lakota, I was going to answer, but realized that I was confusing the red-x icon condition with one involving the broken link icon. That latter result is caused when you've moved a media item within your directory structure at some point after you entered the path/filename in the database. The path/filename for each image is the only item stored in the RM5 database, so not the image, itself. To correct the broken link icon issue, you can either use Search > Search and Replace for Multimedia filenames or the Fix broken media links utility under the Tools dropdown in Lists > Media Gallery. The latter could take a while, however.

I'm afraid that I don't have/know how/remember how to create a red-x condition, but perhaps someone else here may be able to weigh in.

#4 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:49 AM

I'm afraid that I don't have/know how/remember how to create a red-x condition, but perhaps someone else here may be able to weigh in.

I noticed Bruce had a lot of them on the webinar, so maybe an explanation will be forthcoming from rm.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

lakota, I was going to answer, but realized that I was confusing the red-x icon condition with one involving the broken link icon. That latter result is caused when you've moved a media item within your directory structure at some point after you entered the path/filename in the database. The path/filename for each image is the only item stored in the RM5 database, so not the image, itself. To correct the broken link icon issue, you can either use Search > Search and Replace for Multimedia filenames or the Fix broken media links utility under the Tools dropdown in Lists > Media Gallery. The latter could take a while, however.

The broken media link icon was confusing to to many users. We changed it to the red-x icon instead. It still represents broken media link.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2069 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:00 PM

Renee, was the red x adopted with the release of RM 5.0.0.0, or was it with an update? I think that I'd also prefer it the new way.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:05 PM

The red x was adopted in the initial release of RM5.
Renee
RootsMagic