• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JDB

JDB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:24 AM

To say I am heartily underwhelmed is to put understatement into contortions beyond belief.

My opinion of a program that craps out when trying to locate a file is pretty low.

I get an error that says Windows - no disk exception processing message c0000013 Parameters 7cc31d6c 7cc31d6c 7cc31d6c 7cc31d6c which usually locks up the system.

After a great deal of fiddling I finally forced it to locate the file I wanted and then to put the new database in the directory where I wanted it. Not an auspicious beginning at all!!! What possible lack of reason would possess you to presume to tell me where my database files were to go, and then bollix up the software so badly as to make it almost impossible to get around that? That was strike two.

Iím impressed that you didnít try to write over my previous version of software, although the installer did offer to delete it for me, again real uncool.

After having gone to all that trouble, to get the files to load, I find that the few new features I might have been interested in are blocked out, so, oh well, just one less thing to waste my time on it would seem. That was strike three!!!!

This does not qualify as a new version, and to all appearances is a bad hack of the previous version, which I find a severe disappointment.

Also, you might try explaining why this program does not copy over bookmarks or other settings from the previous version it is importing from, since I certainly don't intend to trust it actually opening a previous database version.

#2 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:01 AM

That error message is a Windows error, and means that RootsMagic tried to access a file on a drive that doesn't even exist. Every time I've seen that message it is due to the database referencing an image on something like a CDROM drive with no CD in it. It has nothing to do with the location of the database itself.

I'm not sure why it is uncool to "offer" to remove the previous version. Many people want to do that.

RM5 will preserve all settings that are stored within the data file. If you choose to install RM5 as a separate program, then it will start with its own default settings. If you replace the previous version (that uncool feature ;) ) then the installer will retain the settings from RM4.
RootsMagician

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

Don't have my computer with me, so can't test and not entirely sure I exactly follow the first issue with locating the file, etc. I've not yet seen any reports of similar issues, but perhaps someone else might have some ideas.

Isn't replacing the previous software version with the newer one often standard operating procedure for software product releases? The option to follow that course is being given in RM5, as is the one to choose to keep both.

Some functionality isn't available in the RM5 Essentials version, which is free. To unlock those items, you'll have to purchase the non-Essentials version and enter your registration key, as was the case in RM4. A "What's New in RootsMagic 5" webinar will be broadcasted later today and should then be available for downloading in a few days for those unable to catch it. It should demonstrate some working within the interface for some of these new features. More information at http://www.rootsmagic.com/Webinars .

Backing up any RM4 databases before beginning work with RM5 is highly recommended, as would be the case in backing up data files to be used with any software upgrade.

Edit: RootsMagician beat me to the finish!