14 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

When I first went to People View and then selected a Named Group, it took several minutes for the screen to come up. I didn't time it exactly, but it's definitely too slow to be usable. I did time the following. Having selected a Named Group containing 78 members, it took 2 minutes and 19 seconds simply to sort the display based on one of the columns.

My overall database has nearly 60,000 people. Nothing else was running. The machine is 64 bit Windows 7, two processors with two cores each, 8GB memory. RM5 appears not to be paging or doing any I/O. Rather, it appears to be in a CPU bound loop. Windows Task Manager says that is using exactly 25% percent of the available processing time. 25% of this particular machine corresponds to a CPU bound loop because two processers with two cores each is essentially equivalent to a four processor machine.

Going back to "show everyone" is essentially instantaneous. It takes probably less than 1/2 second. And while in "show everyone" mode, sorting by a column is nearly instantaneous, taking about a second.

Jerry

#2 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

When I first went to People View and then selected a Named Group, it took several minutes for the screen to come up. I didn't time it exactly, but it's definitely too slow to be usable. I did time the following. Having selected a Named Group containing 78 members, it took 2 minutes and 19 seconds simply to sort the display based on one of the columns.

My overall database has nearly 60,000 people. Nothing else was running. The machine is 64 bit Windows 7, two processors with two cores each, 8GB memory. RM5 appears not to be paging or doing any I/O. Rather, it appears to be in a CPU bound loop. Windows Task Manager says that is using exactly 25% percent of the available processing time. 25% of this particular machine corresponds to a CPU bound loop because two processers with two cores each is essentially equivalent to a four processor machine.

Going back to "show everyone" is essentially instantaneous. It takes probably less than 1/2 second. And while in "show everyone" mode, sorting by a column is nearly instantaneous, taking about a second.

Jerry

Database of 64,000, Named Group of 644. Change anything on People View, and the wait is interminable. Change sort column? Wait. Add/Remove/Rearrange columns? Wait. Switch between Show Everyone/Named Group? Wait. Edit group? Wait. The wait times are anywhere from 12 seconds to 2 minutes.

Columns don't retain sizing. Sort column doesn't retain selection. Show Everyone/Named Group dropdown does not release mouse focus after selection.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

The People View was optimized in build 5.0.0.3
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:38 AM

The People View was optimized in build 5.0.0.3

Yes, it is somewhat better, perhaps a speed gain of 50%. Columns still do not retain custom sizing. What would really be nice is a button for what spreadsheets call "optimal width" that automatically sizes all columns to display full content ... and then have that setting stick.

#5 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:57 AM

Yes, it is somewhat better, perhaps a gain of 50%. Columns still do not retain custom sizing. What would really be nice is a button for what spreadsheets call "optimal width" that automatically sizes all columns to display full content ... and then have that setting stick.

The more I read the more I find reasons not to upgrade, the column size thing was discussed a long time ago and i think dismissed by RM.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

Columns don't retain sizing. Sort column doesn't retain selection. Show Everyone/Named Group dropdown does not release mouse focus after selection.

Columns still do not retain custom sizing. What would really be nice is a button for what spreadsheets call "optimal width" that automatically sizes all columns to display full content ... and then have that setting stick.

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

Ludlow,

You mentioned after optimizing "Yes, it is somewhat better, perhaps a speed gain of 50%." This is on a "Database of 64,000, Named Group of 644".

We tried some comparison testing and we are seeing faster results. Could you go to File>Database Tools and run each option going down the list. Report back if that is speeding up the viewing of groups in the people screen.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

Yes, it is somewhat better, perhaps a speed gain of 50%.

My experience is a little different so far. With a 60,000 person database and a 78 person group, it took 2 minutes and 19 seconds to sort a column using 5.0.0.2. With 5.0.0.3, the exact same sort is sub-second. Unless something changes radically for the worse going forward, I'm now a happy camper on this one. Again, thanks for the speed of the fix.

Jerry

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:18 PM

I loaded a database with 118k people showing the pedigree view.
clicked on the people tab and it took 15 seconds to show up.
Then I clicked on the various columns, birth date, birth place and record number and the longest it took was about 7 seconds to redisplay.

Then I decided to create a group, born after 1900 sounded good so it took about half a minute to select 8851 people for the group then about 25 seconds to create the group.
Still in the people view, Changed from everyone in the database to the born after 1900 group, it took two seconds.

Vista machine with 2gb memory, and several other programs running. During the group test, I even had my regular 10kb database open too.

So I would assume that something else is slowing things down for you.
Yes! I know what they say about assuming. :rolleyes:
Alfred

#10 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

I loaded a database with 118k people showing the pedigree view.
clicked on the people tab and it took 15 seconds to show up.
Then I clicked on the various columns, birth date, birth place and record number and the longest it took was about 7 seconds to redisplay.

Then I decided to create a group, born after 1900 sounded good so it took about half a minute to select 8851 people for the group then about 25 seconds to create the group.
Still in the people view, Changed from everyone in the database to the born after 1900 group, it took two seconds.

Vista machine with 2gb memory, and several other programs running. During the group test, I even had my regular 10kb database open too.

So I would assume that something else is slowing things down for you.
Yes! I know what they say about assuming. :rolleyes:

For Rene:
I had run the Database Tools before i reported earlier, but perhaps my comments were a bit vague. When I change from "Show Everyone" to my named group, the table reloads very fast, within a second perhaps. Activities with colums (sorting, adding, etc.) is very fast as well. When I then switch from the named group to "Show Everyone", there is still a lag time of 4-5 seconds, and the same lag time when working within the larger table. It's not an interminable wait, but neither is it ideal.

For Alfred:
If I'm interpreting your comment correctly, ("the longest it took was about 7 seconds") you believe that a 7-second lag is acceptable. Is that correct?

For Rene:
What is considered optimal?
And by the way, I see this same 4-5 second lag when bringing up the Person List via RM Explorer.

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

For Rene:
What is considered optimal?
And by the way, I see this same 4-5 second lag when bringing up the Person List via RM Explorer.

Optimal = speed + number of complaints - size of database.

The RootsMagician pulled every trick he could think of to resolve the speed issue. A 50% increase he was not happy. Hearing a 4-5 second lag would allow him to focus on more pressing issues.
Renee
RootsMagic

#12 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:50 AM

Hearing a 4-5 second lag would allow him to focus on more pressing issues.

The TRACKING SYSTEM ???

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6252 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:04 AM

That's probably as fast as it will ever get, although there might be a strategy that suits an extremely large database that would be different from one foe smaller ones - sort of a 'horses for courses' analogy such as a Clydesdale vs a race horse. I see this in the SQLite managers. Spy is blazingly fast on moderate size results but grinds to a standstill on large ones because it stores all the results in memory; without enough memory, page swapping with disk slows it way down. OTOH, Expert is clunkingly slow on small result sets but ploughs on through huge ones because it uses a sliding buffer.
I don't know how RM5 handles the large result set in Everyone People View but try putting a table with 100k records in Excel and sorting it to get some idea of the speed limit of your machine.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#14 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

That's probably as fast as it will ever get, ....

I would support Tom's position on this point. As I said earlier, I'm a happy camper on on the speed of People View with Named Groups ever since 5.0.0.3 because all my responses times are now sub-second. My sub-second speed is primarily because I have 8GB of memory.

In general, you and RM are both constrained by the size of your database and and by the power of your PC, primarily the amount of memory you have. If your People View is in Show Everyone mode, the speed is what it is and there is little if anything else the RootsMagician or anybody else can do to help you. If that's too slow to suit you, then you really need more memory or more patience. As Tom said, you would have the same problem with an Excel spreadsheet with the same number of rows.

The issue in 5.0.0.2 was that using a Named Group was infinitely slower than Show Everyone. With 5.0.0.3, a Named Group is as fast or faster than Show Everyone, and that's all that's technically possible.

Jerry

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

The TRACKING SYSTEM ???

The Tracking system is an internal system where we record issues, bugs and enhancement requests. This is what the RootsMagician goes off of to determine what to work on and include in the next updates.
Renee
RootsMagic