• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jennifer H.

Jennifer H.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

I hope that this tip will be helpful to someone here. I frequently have sources that only present the number of children that someone had, without any other information. So I added a family fact type with the following sentence template: [Couple] had [desc] children. All I have to do is put the number of children in the description and I get a nice sentence such as John Smith and Jane Doe had 12 children.

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

I hope that this tip will be helpful to someone here. I frequently have sources that only present the number of children that someone had, without any other information. So I added a family fact type with the following sentence template: [Couple] had [desc] children. All I have to do is put the number of children in the description and I get a nice sentence such as John Smith and Jane Doe had 12 children.

It also works to create placeholder children such as:
Child_1 Smith
Child_2 Smith
Child_12 Smith

Or if the children were listed as one son and one daughter:
Son_1 Jones
Daughter_1 Jones

This tends to clutter the list of people, but it leaves a specific spot to do further research.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:34 AM

I use a less specialized family user defined fact, *Child history (couple)

[Couple]< [Desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

The description field entry might be:
had 13 children
had no children
raised their granddaughter, Mary Ellen Jones
children may not be in birth order [Customize sentence to [husband:Given] and [wife:given] [husband:surname:poss]< [Desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.]

I also have a user defined Individual fact that I link to a person, *Parent History.

[Person]< [Desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

The description field entry might be:

parents/father/mother is not known [Customize sentence to [Person:poss].]
was raised by his maternal grandparents, John Adams and Mary Jane (Jones) Smith
was an orphan who lived with James R. Lewis.
never knew his father

If I am going to be doing further research on that family, I may use placeholder children as John suggests.