30 replies to this topic

#21 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

True, then would you suggest using the same image properties (description) for both image and pdf?

Regards

If you're using an image file, why double-up with a pdf too? What advantage is there in duplication?

#22 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

The image file would show in the reports and the thumbnail would show on the Media Gallery and Media Album screens, but the pdf file would be searchable for the text.

#23 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

... but the pdf file would be searchable for the text.

The earlier suggestion was to convert JPG files to PDF. PDF files that are images would contain no searchable text. I think we've established that, for use with RootsMagic, there is no advantage to this exercise.

#24 Newbie-6

Newbie-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

I would use the same file name for both and save them in the same folder. I would probably the same properties, but what to use in properties could be a case by case decision.

In RM5 there is also a Comment box on Tag this image screen where a different comment can be entered for each person, fact, place or source which the same media is linked to where you may want to enter data. This comment doesn't show on the Media Album or Media Gallery screens. You have to open the Tag this image screen to read it.

Interesting. Since I have yet to upgrade from 4.x to 5.x I am not totally aware of the bells and whistles. Having had 4.x for nearly two years, there is still some gray areas for me. :rolleyes:

The comment box you mention doesn't sound much different that the note boxes avail in 4.x, Just a different Name?.

One problem with the properties issue - using the same properties for both jpg and pdf creates redundancy in the Narrative report. I use the text from a census image (PDF) in the properties box which saves alot of editing. (Save PDF as TEXT)..
Thanks again for sharing you wealth of knowledge and wisdom. :)

#25 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

One problem with the properties issue - using the same properties for both jpg and pdf creates redundancy in the Narrative report. I use the text from a census image (PDF) in the properties box which saves alot of editing. (Save PDF as TEXT)..

You have not got the repeated message that PDF's do not get outputted in any reports or websites. It is something we have asked for but don't hold your breath!

@Ludlow Bay: Ancestry.com allows you to save a JPG image of a census page (among other things) or a PDF containing the image, and, optionally the citation details. So I tend to save and link both - maybe the image to the event or fact, the PDF to the citation.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#26 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

@Ludlow Bay: Ancestry.com allows you to save a JPG image of a census page (among other things) or a PDF containing the image, and, optionally the citation details. So I tend to save and link both - maybe the image to the event or fact, the PDF to the citation.

Yes, Tom - that would be a valid use for both types of files simultaneously. What I was referring to was the original premise - "I have converted all JPG's to PDF ..." - as an effort with benefits of little consequence.

#27 Newbie-6

Newbie-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

You have not got the repeated message that PDF's do not get outputted in any reports or websites. It is something we have asked for but don't hold your breath!

Actually, I have got the repeated message about PDF not getting outputted..... etc.

My reference was not about the pdf but the "text" that can be added to the PROPERTIES box.

I have no use for the images being outputted anywhere - web page etc - just the hyper link that is produced from the save as text PDF. Something you won't find in JPG's.
This I believe sinks the idea that JPG's are superior. OK, the thumbnail gives no clue as to the content - but a descriptive title does.

Great that Ancestry.com allows to save as PDF. Curious what the 'save as text' would produce from the Ancestry PDF.

Family Search does allow the saving and printing of the Synopsis image and census, although not as PDF.

Try installing a free utility called "doPDF7". It's a free print driver. Print a synopsis and the census image using this utility and you may change your mind after you save the PDF's as text. Some very neat details such as hyper text and census details that neatly fit in the PROPERTIES dialog and hyper links to boot.

You really have to try it and see the benefits of PDf's. But, for those who like the JPG's over PDF's - whatever floats your boat.

Since this issue seems to have been around a long time, the other alternative is to get the best you can from whatever is available.
No breath holding involved - just a better invented wheel. My hopes are that my screen name is not misleading and influencing responses that seem to pick apart valid and worthy inquiries about a very much respected product and it's workings.

About my converting JPG's to PDF's, it's what I did, whether an exercise in futility, uselessness, it is a format widely used by most computer users - world wide (most - not all), therefore the images are available for most users if need be. Too many variables with jpgs as many years of working with jpg's have shown. Again, whatever flavor onr may choose. :)

Best Regards.

#28 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

Actually, I have got the repeated message about PDF not getting outputted..... etc.

If "using the same properties for both jpg and pdf creates redundancy in the Narrative report" does not imply that the PDF is outputted, then what? The "properties" are "Caption" and "Description" - where would they be used if not with the PDF?

My reference was not about the pdf but the "text" that can be added to the PROPERTIES box.

which is outputted with a JPG in a Publish Scrapbook but not with PDF's which are not outputted.

I have no use for the images being outputted anywhere - web page etc - just the hyper link that is produced from the save as text PDF. Something you won't find in JPG's.

You can add the hyperlink in the RM Description of the JPG, also in the citation, given your census example. And, outside RM, you can add it to metadata embedded in the JPG file. Look up EXIF, IPTC, XMP metadata.

This I believe sinks the idea that JPG's are superior. OK, the thumbnail gives no clue as to the content - but a descriptive title does.

The use of the word 'superior' was clearly stated to refer to usability within the RM application. JPGs and PDFs are different and serve different purposes. Of course, PDF's are superior for some purposes, JPG's for others.

Great that Ancestry.com allows to save as PDF. Curious what the 'save as text' would produce from the Ancestry PDF.

I had not tried the "Save as text" on an Ancestry report before as I normally highlight and copy selected parts right off the web page or from the PDF viewed with Adobe Reader. In one test using Google Chrome's Print to PDF, the resulting text was unusable - many characters substituted with a period

Family Search does allow the saving and printing of the Synopsis image and census, although not as PDF.

Try installing a free utility called "doPDF7". It's a free print driver. Print a synopsis and the census image using this utility and you may change your mind after you save the PDF's as text. Some very neat details such as hyper text and census details that neatly fit in the PROPERTIES dialog and hyper links to boot.

I have 3 PDF print drivers not counting Chrome's.

You really have to try it and see the benefits of PDf's. But, for those who like the JPG's over PDF's - whatever floats your boat.

Since this issue seems to have been around a long time, the other alternative is to get the best you can from whatever is available.
No breath holding involved - just a better invented wheel. My hopes are that my screen name is not misleading and influencing responses that seem to pick apart valid and worthy inquiries about a very much respected product and it's workings.

About my converting JPG's to PDF's, it's what I did, whether an exercise in futility, uselessness, it is a format widely used by most computer users - world wide (most - not all), therefore the images are available for most users if need be. Too many variables with jpgs as many years of working with jpg's have shown. Again, whatever flavor onr may choose. :)

Best Regards.

I hope that you may recognise that everyone's responses to your messages in this thread have attempted to understand what you are after and provide information and assistance to help you understand what you can do with RM.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#29 Newbie-6

Newbie-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

.end.

#30 dellmerca

dellmerca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:10 AM

The downside of JPEG vs. PDF is that JPEG files cannot contain vectors, so all vector shapes, and more importantly all text, will be rasterized; PDF files can contain vector shapes and text fonts.  If the printing shop uses a RIP or a Postscript printer, the vector content will be printed at the printer's highest resolution, which will likely be higher than the resolution of the rasterized image.

Dell

#31 Lainee

Lainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:53 PM

You can choose either PDF or image file type. If it's better for you to use the JPG format, you can use some free tools to convert PDF to JPG and then use it as you like to.