• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:21 PM

I would love to be able to sort sources after they have been cited for an individual or fact. For example, I have multiple land records cited for a "property" fact. The sources appear in the order in which I entered them. I would like to rearrange them based on year of purchase.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:49 PM

A general solution independent of any values of 'fields' in the source and applicable to all source types is a Move Up/Down capability in the Citation Manager as we have to rearrange the order of children in a family. That would likely require a database change with the addition of CitationOrder or some such named column to the CitationTable, as there is ChildOrder in the ChildTable.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

Agreed, Tom -- analogous functionality exists with Rearrange Spouses. In terms of the database for spouse order, HusbOrder and WifeOrder are the relevant fields in the FamilyTable table.

Requests for being able to order sources have been made in the past.

#5 Penny Blake

Penny Blake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

HI, I didnt want to raise a new thread but does anyone know if this is in the pipeline

Im finding it a bit fustrating having the sources in an order Im not happy with

For example

I enter details for the 1881 census. Later on I enter details for the 1871 census. Then amother time the 1901 and then 1891

The sources will be listed in this order

The only way I can see to do it is to memorise the earliest source, then paste, delete the older source, then repeat until you have the sources in the order you want.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

That would likely require a database change with the addition of CitationOrder or some such named column to the CitationTable, as there is ChildOrder in the ChildTable.

Wouldn't another (and possibly better?) solution simply be to sort the citations into alphabetic order before displaying them? I would suspect that is the way it was done pre-RM4. And it wouldn't require any manual intervention on the part of the user nor a CitationOrder field in the CitationTable.

Jerry

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

Wouldn't another (and possibly better?) solution simply be to sort the citations into alphabetic order before displaying them? I would suspect that is the way it was done pre-RM4. And it wouldn't require any manual intervention on the part of the user nor a CitationOrder field in the CitationTable.

Jerry

Of course, if alphabetical sorting is all that is required, it would be much simpler to implement - it is probably nothing more for the developers to do than checking a box on the form design for the Source or Citation Manager before the next time they compile a release version. I cannot comprehend why it should take years to resolve...

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Penny Blake

Penny Blake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

Sure, Alpha sorting would work for me since with the example I quoted it would sort by year.

My only wish for this though would be that it was sorted in order of the title YOU give i.e. the master source name. That way, I suspect it would group all your sourses together since I suspect most people name similar sources in similar ways such as census 1881, census 1891, or kelly directory of Norwich 1901, 1902 etc etc

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

Confirming this enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:06 PM

While we wait for this enhancement, here is a SQLite script that accomplishes the goal of alphabetically sorted source names in the Citation Manager: Source Citation Sort

CitationSort.png

Edited by TomH, 09 January 2016 - 03:50 PM.