53 replies to this topic

#41 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7086 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

Go to Tools>File Options>General and under "Number to Display after Name" select - Reference Number (REFN). You will now see your individual numbering system after their name and have it print out in reports. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#42 Twigs

Twigs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

I tried to "like" your comments but this thing says I have reached my quota, without ever having "liked" at all.  Giving some thought to your comments, I believe you might be right.  I do have to clean the paper files and I do have much to scan in or enter into RM. I will get William Dollarhides book and see what he has to say before I make changes. I started in paper and stopped working with paper in the very early days, putting everything in a program.  Had  a huge computer crash and lost a lot, though not as much as I could have.  I keep paper now, as well as backups to the cloud and an external. 

Thank you for all the comments.

#43 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

Twigs, do a search online for genealogy numbering systems and check out the different ways to number people in a family tree. These numbering systems are generally designed to show a person's place in the family tree.

I use the d'Aboville System with a 3 letter code for the family group at the beginning. For a non blood spouse, I have added /h or /w to the end of the number of the blood spouse. I have also started adding + or - to the end to have a quick visual reference of whether a person has children or not.

I add this number to the Reference number fact in RootsMagic. I don't keep paper files of Family Group Sheets. I backup my database in various places off my computer, Jump drives, SD cards, online, and other family members in other towns. For me, this is much safer than having paper files which could be destroyed if something happened to my house.

You could just give a person an unique number and enter that into the Reference number fact. Don't use the Record number that RM automatically assigns to a person as that number is exclusive only to RootsMagic.

How to name, number and file research documents is a diferent issue than numbering people. I still have some paper documents filed as I haven't finish digitalizing them.

I also backup my digitalized document files in various places off the computer.

#44 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:14 AM

Are you guys printing out all your stuff to hard copy for this? At first I thought this thread was about how to organize your files on your computer, and I was excited to maybe get some tips on organizing my own files, but it seems like it's all about how to organize paper?

I have been waffling over how to organize my files a lot since I started (it's been a source of frustration for me because every time I change my mind, then I have to redo dozens of sources and their attached media). They are all electronic files, though, and I'm not really interested in making hard copies and adding to clutter in my house.

I guess I could try to adapt some of the strategies to my electronic files..

I am picking up on this because, from a quick review of all the other replies, it appears everyone else who is making points is coming at it from the point of view of "how to organise my paper files". I do not use paper files at all. Absolutely every piece of paper I get or notes I create is scanned and the image (either a one page jpeg or a multi-page pdf) is recorded as an Event against the individual who is the subject - and then Shared if more than one person is mentioned. If it is a newspaper article or some other formally printed matter then I also OCR it and place the converted text into the Notes field. Of course I still have piles of paper in boxes and books and other things - but I never look at them. For example, I have never looked at the original of, say, a birth certificate in 15 years of research. There is no need.

So although I will record the source of an event (eg Page x or Book Y, author Z) I will automatically scan and store the relevant pages so that they are instantly available, wherever I am in the world, on my PC to read and review as necessary over time. Similarly, if I send a copy of my latest RM database and related images/PDF to someone in my family who uses the free version of RM - then they too have instant access to the same material that I used to put the data together. What is the use to me or another user, who might be a 100 miles away being told "the thing you want to read is in the third drawer of filing cabinet number 2 - what I pity you cant actually get to it!".

Now I wonder, is what I am doing the future. I am not young but I imagine up-and-coming generations who undertake genealogy and who are used to an "on-line" life are naturally going to expect to organise their research in this way. Many of them already work in offices where everything is scanned and placed online. Perhaps this will lead to an even greater expectation on what software like RM supplies in respect of handling and organising electronic documents and images (something which has shortcomings that have been highlighted in many other threads).

I do also wonder about these various "systems" that are mentioned in this and other threads. I don't know anything about them but if I Google them I find definitions such as "invented in 1940"; computers were only invented at Bletchley park some years later. Isn't it time to move on to using the technology we have now and not to base our ideas around a time in the distant past? Or should I chisel my family history into pieces of granite for long term archival reasons?

MVS

#45 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2955 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:55 AM

I would advise you to digitize all your paper files, by all means keep the paper but managing digital files is much easier than paper.

Well, nearly everyone :D

I agree that the discussion and more pertinent point is how one should manage digital record stores and how genealogy software can assist.

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#46 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:44 AM

Apologies Vyger for missing your post. I think I was just overwhelmed by visions of hundreds of filing cabinets marching towards me screaming "show me your paper files".

MVS.

#47 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2955 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:10 AM

Apologies Vyger for missing your post. I think I was just overwhelmed by visions of hundreds of filing cabinets marching towards me screaming "show me your paper files".

MVS.

No apology necessary :) I had the same vision of marching filing cabinets.

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Root

#48 GalinAZ

GalinAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:58 PM

I am using the color coded organization filing system described by Barry Ewell and designed by Mary .V. Hill.  The system uses 5 generations pedigree as a starting point.  To begin, your father, your mother and all your father's ancestors (complete families) are one color (say, Blue).  My question to the RM group is, how can I define the group that is my father and all his ancestors, including all of their spouses, children and descendents so that I can set them to the desired "blue" color?  I can chose to color code all his ancestors and their spouses but it doesn't apply the color to their children or descendents.  If I can do this, then when I see a name in RM, I will be able to tell by its color code which family line it belongs to.  Any suggestions?

#49 GalinAZ

GalinAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:37 PM

My computer filing system is  organized into folders on a virtual drive (for ease of backup).  The hierarchy is:

Genealogy

Surname

Documents - images, pdfs, word files of any document e.g., census, BMD certs, etc.

Memorabilia - images of physical items, postcards, scanned "books" (entire photo albums, children's art, pictures of grandma's treasures, etc.)

Pictures - images of hard copy photos or original digital images

Projects - things I've put together for others to tell a story, research and results on a particular topic

Unfiled to be worked - a digital file that hasn't been categorized, analyzed, scrutinized or applied to my RM database 

My file naming system is:

Last name, first name (or family group),date (DD Month CCYY),place (city,state,country),brief description,source abbreviation/code,type code,copy

for example:  Jones,Jane,20 May 1930,Chicago,IL,burial record,Anc,o,01  where "Anc" is abbreviation for Ancesty, "o" indicates from original,01 is first copy.

After reading about Dollarhide numbering system, I might consider applying it at the individual file level.  

#50 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2955 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:02 AM

My file naming system is:

Last name, first name (or family group),date (DD Month CCYY),place (city,state,country),brief description,source abbreviation/code,type code,copy

for example:  Jones,Jane,20 May 1930,Chicago,IL,burial record,Anc,o,01  where "Anc" is abbreviation for Ancesty, "o" indicates from original,01 is first copy.

After reading about Dollarhide numbering system, I might consider applying it at the individual file level.  

My folder system and file naming system have great similarities to yoursand I have been using it for around 15 years now and has served me well. However times do change and where presently the last part of my file name denotes the type of record and a marriage record is currently (m) I am thinking of revising this to use the Gedcom Tag of the event the record fits best with so marriage will become (marr).

I can parse the file name and create gedcoms with the new media attached very easily so a rigid system serves me well. My file naming structure is different from yours in that the comma is used as an information delimiter and hypens are used in conjunction with the bracketed record type, also I reverse the year notation to provide sorts on numerous Jones-Jane events, so:

surgeoner-william-john,hugher-eliza,1901-mar-23-(m) would be a marriage record which I can easily parse the data from the file name.

Most individual have two portions (this may well change to include place information), a marriage currently has three portions (two commas)

The thing is I can easily run a little script to parse these file names back into the event they pertain to and also create a gedcom for all new media once renamed. I do employ other methods or organization and have been intending to publish a little screencast just to show how I work whenever time allows. I don't have RM7 but I can see how the new Drag&Drop of Media could probably work well with some good file organization. It's a simple piece of programming for RM to analyse any user selected folder and identify those files which are not currently linked to the database and I do hope that is something which comes in version 8.

As anyone with a growing media collection knows this is an ongoing struggle to stay organized, it's also a moving target where new methods will become available and should be used. The one word that should be said for users is don't race off to rename your files unless you have decided on a way to rename the links in Rootsmagic unless you are prepared to work through them all again.

Root

#51 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7086 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

I am using the color coded organization filing system described by Barry Ewell and designed by Mary .V. Hill.  The system uses 5 generations pedigree as a starting point.  To begin, your father, your mother and all your father's ancestors (complete families) are one color (say, Blue).  My question to the RM group is, how can I define the group that is my father and all his ancestors, including all of their spouses, children and descendents so that I can set them to the desired "blue" color?  I can chose to color code all his ancestors and their spouses but it doesn't apply the color to their children or descendents.  If I can do this, then when I see a name in RM, I will be able to tell by its color code which family line it belongs to.  Any suggestions?

When you color-code use the option "People selected from a list" and click OK.

Then highlight your starting person. 

Click Mark Group

Select Ancestors of highlighted person

Then select "Ancestors and descendants of ancestors". Make sure to select both the generation numbers for ancestors and descendants. It will branch out to include them all. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#52 mjski

mjski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:40 PM

I do it simply. I have a directory on my genealogy disk named Filebox. I make a directory using the RM ID number when I have a document that has a citation for that person, except for census documents. I place a copy of each of those documents in its appropriate folder. For example, I name the files, "ID300DC," ID300stone," etc. for a death certificate and a grave stone. For census images, I create directories for federal and state censuses, each containing specifics. For example, I have Federal> Ohio> Hocking> Falls> Logan for Logan (city), Falls (township), Hocking (county), Ohio (state).  The census images for Logan, saved in the Federal> Ohio> Hocking> Falls> Logan directory are named Logan(pagenumber), which corresponds with my citation in RM. For me, this makes reviewing previous research for a particular person simple. I have all the documents cited for a RM ID number in one place, while documents that may apply to multiple people (many of my folks are on one page in the census) are readily recalled.

All these complex systems for storing digital documents get in the way of doing real research. KISS.

#53 geomouchet

geomouchet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

Here's a method that works with both paper and computer files:

I agree with the KISS principle.  I don't have the patience for any kind of complicated organization.  I tried the Dollarhide method, but only got as far as step one (put all the paper in a big pile on the floor).  I looked at the pile, felt overwhelmed, and decided to simply sort into 8 piles - one for each of my and my wife's great-grandparents.  Each pile had all the hard copy genealogical materials for that great grandparent and his or her ancestors plus his or her descendants that carry the same surname.  Then I put everything into binders and filing cabinet folders labeled with the great-grandparent's name.

I created folders on my computer in the same scheme.  I scanned in all the paper materials into their appropriate folders, a few pages at a time.  Each file name consists of the name of the primary person (or persons in the case of marriage records) and the type of document.  When I want to see all documents for a person, I search the folder by the person's name.  If I want to see all birth documents, I search "birth".  Every online image I find, I save according the that scheme.  The scanning part was actually fun because it allowed me to review each document and also make sure I had all my sources entered in RootsMagic.

For convenience I created a separate folder for census images and created file names that have the names of any direct descendants shown on the form (or the name of my closest relative shown on the form) and the census year.

I almost never go back and look at the hardcopy binders and file folders.

I linked in all the documents in RootsMagic and tagged them to each person and event referenced in the document.  This allows documents to be tagged to as many people as necessary.  It also gives a more detailed organization.

For censuses, I entered all the info under the Residence event.

#54 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2955 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:30 AM

Since the question or organizing media repeatedly comes up I had been planning a video to show what has worked for me. Essentially digital files should be organized outside RM although I would also agree that RM Media Gallery should have the ability to read basic metadata with the option to import/sync.

Anyway my planned video is cancelled as Alison Taylor does a pretty good job of covering the angles and advantages on the Rootstach link below.

Writing on the back of a Digital Photo

Root