Photo

New to RootsMagic. Have several questions.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Vickil

Vickil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

Hi all,

I have made the dreaded decision that we all hate. To change programs. It has been a hard decision, but RM has won. It was a close race between RootsMagic and Legacy. I am transferring from Family Tree Maker V16. If I understand correctly, RM will transfer the file directly from FTM.

1. Since I am not a techy guru, will all the fields match, or will I have alot of data that will just find a place? How much clean up will I have?

2. Or, since I need to go thru each an every person, create my file system ( I have papers everywhere, semi-organized), no to do lists, no research logs, etc, should I just reenter all my info. Big job I know.

3. I downloaded the free version, over the weekend, and last nite I ordered the CD bundle. I received my reg key by email. Can I unlock the full version now? Or should I wait on the CD?

4. Color coding-Does it print on the reports? Ex. Family Group Sheet

I would like to thank you in advance for all your help. I'm sure this will not be the last time you hear from me.

Vicki

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1647 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

Hi all,

I have made the dreaded decision that we all hate. To change programs. It has been a hard decision, but RM has won. It was a close race between RootsMagic and Legacy. I am transferring from Family Tree Maker V16. If I understand correctly, RM will transfer the file directly from FTM.

1. Since I am not a techy guru, will all the fields match, or will I have alot of data that will just find a place? How much clean up will I have?

2. Or, since I need to go thru each an every person, create my file system ( I have papers everywhere, semi-organized), no to do lists, no research logs, etc, should I just reenter all my info. Big job I know.

3. I downloaded the free version, over the weekend, and last nite I ordered the CD bundle. I received my reg key by email. Can I unlock the full version now? Or should I wait on the CD?

I would like to thank you in advance for all your help. I'm sure this will not be the last time you hear from me.
Vicki

Welcome aboard

1. you may have a lot of cleanup. I would go thru and check everything. It is worth it. :)
2. As you are going thru your cleanup, I would suggest adding your pictures [.jpg] and citations as you go. pdf files do not work as media. You can create To Do Lists in the software. Research Journals I keep in Evernote or Word documents.
3. Yes enter it and you will have the full version. USe your CD for backup :)
4. Yes Color coding shows on reports. :)

Use the F1 key for helps. The helps are great and visit the Webinar page to watch all [or ones that fit a ? you may have] of them to get a few tips for data entry and many other tips. :)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3594 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:24 AM

Generally speaking, whether to show color coding or not is an option on reports. For example, there may be times where you don't want color coding to show on reports. If you don't want to show color coding, you don't have to turn color coding off in your database. You can turn it off in your reports and leave it turned on in your database.

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:12 PM

The RootsMagic Webinars that Nettie mentions are at: http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

I searched the forums by going to Google and entering "FTM 16 site:forums.rootsmagic.com" (without quotes) and there are very little clean up issues you should run into.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

Vicki, you might also want to create a copy of your database (naming it along the lines of "test.rmgc") to serve as a test database in which you can experiment without fear of changing the actual data in your primary one. It's a good way going forward to test out things that you'd feel uncomfortable otherwise doing in that other database.

As to filing systems, you might look at http://forums.rootsm...t-filing-system

Note that MRIN is now a bit more transparent in RM4 (Marriage List, Family Group Sheet Report), making it easier to employ should you choose a system based on that number.

Within RM4, "Source file #" and "Details file #" can be used to identify source/citation documentation, "REFN" fact a person within a database, "Reference Number" a media item, etc. These items allow you to tie things back to your external paper and electronic, etc. data via a user-defined alphanumeric identifier.

I think that I'd try to avoid entering everything from scratch and just do a direct import of your FTM16 database into RM4 and begin work from there.

Welcome, and best of luck!

#6 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

pdf files do not work as media.

Just so you understand, PDF files and a number of other formats like .PPT, .DOC, etc. don't display within RM4. When you click on the file's icon the file will open in the default program associated with that file type. I have a number of PDF files associated with facts in my database.

#7 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

Hi all,

Vicki

Question #3: Depending on the production cycle of the mailed CD version, it might not be the most current version if a new update has just been posted.

#8 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

[quote name='Vickil' timestamp='1320728743' post='46534']
Hi all,

I would like to thank you in advance for all your help. I'm sure this will not be the last time you hear from me.]
-----
Question 1: I would start the clean up by organizing the place list. Decide whether you want states spelled out or just the 2 letter Post Office code. Make certain that a given place starts with the smallest part and goes to the largest. As an example:
Greenlawn Cemetery, Frankfort, Concord Township, Ross County, Ohio
If you create a report a list of all place names in reverse order, you will see the value of the suggested order.
I will consider using "place details" after there is a utility to extract small items such as "Greenlawn Cemetery" from the verbose listing that I have always used. Try the "Search & Replace" function for items that are used in multiple places.
The Search and Replace command helps to make changes, but be careful.

#9 Vickil

Vickil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

Just wanted to say thank you for all the great information.
Have the full version installed. Had a little trouble doing the import. RM would not recognize the backup file on my ext drive. Had to use the file from the FTM that I had installed on new laptop. Not sure of the file. FTM tells me that there are incompatibilities every time that I open the file, and the file size is smaller than the original backup file. If nothing else, I can use it as Romer suggested, a test file.

I'm still not sure on which filing system I am going to use. I set RM to use the RIN numbering system. Its there if I want to use it, and it left the REFN# vacant, so that I can use that for something else. I went to Romer's link. There was a posting showing his ref system for his files on his hard drive. Interesting. His was complicated, but food for thought.

Thanks again for your help.

#10 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:21 AM

John makes a good point. When RM added the gazetteer with the "standard" place names it took quite a while for me to get the bulk of my place names converted to the new system and geocoded. I have over 4200 places in my database and still have a large number of non-standard, non-geocoded place names, which are slowly being corrected as the records to which they are attached are updated. You probably need to consider how you want your place list standardized. I decided to enter US & Canadian places only out to state/province and to abbreviate long state names by truncation. (e.g. Penn. vice PA) I enter UK place names only to county and leave off, "England", "Scotland". I enter "Co." after a county without a city. There are many places like DeSoto, Miss., where the city of DeSoto is not in DeSoto County and just entering DeSoto, Miss. could be confusing. You will probably find the geocoding system and standard place name list rather frustrating for the first few months. Many rural places in the midwest are actually townships, rather than towns and you will have to get used to entering names like "Amity Township", rather than just "Amity". And the US & UK are easy. If you have any places in France or Spain you'll probably be pulling your hair out trying to get them standardized.

#11 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

John makes a good point. When RM added the gazetteer with the "standard" place names it took quite a while for me to get the bulk of my place names converted to the new system and geocoded. I have over 4200 places in my database and still have a large number of non-standard, non-geocoded place names, which are slowly being corrected as the records to which they are attached are updated. You probably need to consider how you want your place list standardized. I decided to enter US & Canadian places only out to state/province and to abbreviate long state names by truncation. (e.g. Penn. vice PA) I enter UK place names only to county and leave off, "England", "Scotland". I enter "Co." after a county without a city. There are many places like DeSoto, Miss., where the city of DeSoto is not in DeSoto County and just entering DeSoto, Miss. could be confusing. You will probably find the geocoding system and standard place name list rather frustrating for the first few months. Many rural places in the midwest are actually townships, rather than towns and you will have to get used to entering names like "Amity Township", rather than just "Amity". And the US & UK are easy. If you have any places in France or Spain you'll probably be pulling your hair out trying to get them standardized.

For what it is worth, I do not geocode or use standardized place names. I would note that a verbose place name for a cemetery without using place details gives a nice report for everyone buried in that cemetery.

Don, I would likewise note that Logan is not in Logan County, Ohio. If you have a source for Logan, Ohio, it could be either the city or county. I do not like the generic listings in place order without the County and Township designations. However, I usually abbreviate them. The nice thing about Rootsmagic is that it will take either format.

#12 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3594 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

For what it is worth, I do not geocode or use standardized place names. ....

I would likewise note that Logan is not in Logan County, Ohio. If you have a source for Logan, Ohio, it could be either the city or county. I do not like the generic listings in place order without the County and Township designations.

I'm in the camp that doesn't use standardized place names. One reason is that they don't play well with historical place names. See http://genealogyssta...lace-names.html for a discussion of historical place names and standardized place names and why they don't play well together.

But my bigger reason is the problem of places like the aforementioned Logan in Ohio. I don't think "Logon, Ohio" to mean "Logon County, Ohio" makes any sense at all when there is also a town of Logon in Ohio. And there are numerous examples in all states. It used to be the case that many people would use ", Logan, Ohio" to mean "Logan County, Ohio" and "Logon, Ohio" to mean the town of Logon in Ohio. But I think the leading comma thing as in ", Logan, Ohio" reads very poorly and unprofessionally in narrative reports. I've even seen people say things like ",,, United States of America" if they know that an event was in the United States but they don't know where in the United States. I just don't like the leading commas.

As far as "Logon, Ohio" to mean the town of Logan in the state of Ohio, I'm ok with the format but I would usually write it as "Logon, Hocking County, Ohio". Well, Gazetteer says that there is also a "Logan, Defiance County, Ohio". I can't find such a place, but if there was such a place and all I knew was Logon and Ohio without knowing the county, I would write it as "Logan, Ohio". One place where I have to do this all the time is "Oliver Springs, Tennessee" because Oliver Springs spans three counties in spite of of being a very small, country town.

And speaking of Gazetteer, it's my second least favorite feature in RM4 (my least favorite feature is, of course, the Media Gallery). I don't think Gazetteer is anywhere near as useful as was PlaceFinder. But in any case, Gazetteer was first announced in the following message: http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=65 on 2 Sep 2008. I may be missing something obvious, but does the announcement suggest that it should be possible to invoke Gazetteer while you are entering a place? The announcement article contains three screen shots. The second and third screen shots are entitled Edit Place and Gazetteer, and they seem to reflect what has been delivered so far in RM4. The first screen shot is entitled Lookup a Place and it appears to be associated with looking up a place while you are entering a place. Such a feature would be a big improvement for Gazetteer. But the huge deficiency in Gazetteer as compared to PlaceFinder is the inability to browse - for example, to browse all locations within a county or within a state. Searching is very useful, but searching doesn't always work well. For difficult and possibly misspelled places in an old document that's hard to read, often you need to browse a list of places.

Jerry

#13 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:03 AM

Well, Gazetteer says that there is also a "Logan, Defiance County, Ohio". I can't find such a place, but if there was such a place and all I knew was Logon and Ohio without knowing the county, I would write it as "Logan, Ohio".

Looks like one has to type:

Logan in Defiance County, OH

When searching for that little place on Google Maps or Bing Maps

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#14 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:46 AM

For what it is worth, I do not geocode or use standardized place names. I would note that a verbose place name for a cemetery without using place details gives a nice report for everyone buried in that cemetery.

This current short coming disappoints me however I believe it will be overcome in the near future so I would at least advise you to add something unique to those places you have which contain a place detail component, it will make them easier to find in the future should you want to change them.

#15 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

One thing that standardizing (or semi-standardizing) place names has forced me to do is address a lot of places that either don't exist or are misspelled. Before, I just accepted that place names I was given were correct. Now, I frequently have to ask, "What were these people drinking?" These days when I enter a new place, it either geocodes or I'll know the reason why and explain it in the notes.

One I just fixed was "Naansay, Illinois". Turns out that it should have been Naausay (or Na-Au-Say) Twp., Kendall Co. Someone probably wrote Naausay 100 years ago but the script U was transcribed as an N. This sort of error is rampant in genealogy and it just gets copied over and over.

#16 RossC

RossC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:26 AM

Myself, I am first off fortunate that not a lot of my ancestors moved around all that much, for the most part staying in Southern Ontario for quite some time. That being said I have had to deal with the geocoder for all of Ontario that was once Canada West and before that Upper Canada. I learned that a location must be entered to an event as it was at the time of the event. I have relatives that were born in Upper Canada, married in Canada West, and passed away in Ontario, Canada without moving locations. Needless to say geocoder has no clue about this LOL.

As for the standardisation of place names, I too am not a fan of the extra comma's some use for missing information. For me, Villages, Townships and Counties/Districts are properly labeled as such. Further, full names are used in as much as possible. If the county/province is unknown, I will look it up at the time of the event and so far I have to say Google has rarely failed me. I do have to admit that I like the fact the software will recognise some of my places correctly i.e. Rosseau Village, Humphrey Township, District of Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada (an actual place that I visit quite frequently and my immediate ancestors are from). Other software has only gone into 4 geographical regions whereas RM recognises it correctly.

As an aside, it would be nice to have a database of places at different time periods, so that one doesn't have to search the web for changes in location names over the centuries, England is nasty for that LOL
Genealogy, the hobby of putting together a jigsaw puzzle of an exponetially increasing number of pieces, that increases in an upwards and downwards direction continiously, where each piece is a specific event tied to a specific person at a specific period of time... I should have picked up a simplier hobby... studying the human genome ;-)