25 replies to this topic

#21 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6252 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:17 AM

I am confirming that this feature is working as designed. You may not like the design so we add it as an enhancement request in our tracking system. Just because it not working the way you want it doesn't mean it's a bug.

True, but there are design issues that are more frustrating and counter-productive than some bugs. A bug is something that is not behaving the way it was designed; a design issue could be something that should work better than it does for some task, or is a missing element of some feature; then there are new features needed or wanted by users. At the core of this thread is the frustration and disappointment felt by RootsMagic 4 customers at the pace with which bugs have been squashed, design issues addressed and features added over the 2-1/2 years since RM4 was released with great fanfare and future promise. It is disturbing that there are RM3 users who still resist migrating to RM4, despite having purchased the latter, and RM4 users who wish they could revert or are eyeing some alternative.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#22 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

I am confirming that this feature is working as designed. You may not like the design so we add it as an enhancement request in our tracking system. Just because it not working the way you want it doesn't mean it's a bug.

OK, I don't want to get hung up on whether it is a bug or as designed, in simple terms a bug results in behviour not as expected, what you are saying is that this is exactly as designed, personally I think that is worse.

The People View date columns do vary by default depending on the main screen font size selected, what has been overlooked, missed, or simply ignored in the design and denied and as a problem ever since is that no account is taken of differing font widths and whether Bold is selected or not. On my main screen I have Segoe UI 12pt Bold selected and even standard dates do not fit within the defined date columns without adjustment.

I know this was a NEW view to RM4 and being kind I believe that the full "what ifs" and testing were not completed in the rush to release. Whether you describe this behavious as a BUG or AS DESIGNED it doesn't change the fact it s NOT RIGHT and certainly not a design I would be happy with, were it mine. :angry:

Maybe RM should add to the help file that if you want to avoid irritation on this screen you should select a relatively narrow font like Times New Roman in Regular style, otherwise the columns will be too narrow to display the information. ;)

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#23 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

My preference also is that column autosizing not be default behavior throughout views, screens, panels, etc. in RM4, but that double-clicking on the right edge of a column header would then manually autosize that column to the widest entry within it. A means to select all columns at once, with then clicking on the right edge of one of those column's headers manually autosizing all columns (each column's width being determined independently) would also be in order. Autosizing would ideally apply to all data in that column and not just to the data in that column currently appearing on-screen, as is currently the case. All this behavior described would be consistent with programs such as Microsoft Excel.

However, it would be nice as a future enhancement to allow a user's column width preferences to be remembered in People view as an option since I can see that it might be valuable with respect to how others might work within the program. Again, this functionality would be consistent with other established programs, such as Excel. The original column widths (in People view and elsewhere throughout RM4) were no doubt thought out by the developers, so being able to easily restore a column to its standard width would also be helpful. I feel the same way as to original window sizes. As to the columns, could a right-click context menu appear, allowing you to type in a column width value (as an alternative to just clicking and dragging a column edge to widen it) or choose to return to default width?

In the event that the current nonmanual autosizing is kept in Family view, Descendants view, RootsMagic Explorer, etc, etc, my wish is that its implementation wouldn't be dependent upon just what's showing on-screen. I prefer that the columns not jump around in width in that panel of a window/screen when paging up and down through that panel.

I'd have to think about it further when scrolling through one panel as to display of information in another panel besides the one in which you're working, but my initial preference is that column widths shouldn't vary there, either. For instance, fact column widths in the upper right panel of RM Explorer change as you move from person to person in the left panel. I'd have to give the individual screens/views throughout the program separate thought, as there might be valid reasons to have things work a certain way with respect to how people use RM4 to best effect. As another example, I'd prefer that the column widths not change in the lower panel of the Family view when moving from person to person in the Sidebar Index. Same holds for the Descendants view.

#24 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

The posts discussing age calculations have been moved to a new thread.
http://forums.rootsm...e-calculations/
Renee
RootsMagic

#25 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

The posts discussing making citation changes have been moved to a new thread.
http://forums.rootsm...tation-changes/
Renee
RootsMagic

#26 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:48 AM

It's disappointing for me to see that not much has changed regarding problems and wishes.