• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oggie

oggie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

In a lot of cases I dont have a birth date but I do have a baptism date - is there any why this could be displayed instead of birth.
Just when looking at the charts as well as the info in the program I have a blank?

Lynda :)

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1690 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:17 PM

Baptism fact does not replace birth fact date. The software does not allow it.

One way to make it work is put the bap date in the birth fact and use the "bef' the date. If it turns out that the baptism date is the birth date, all you have to remove is the 'bef'.

One solution.

The software is programed to not have Baptism fact in place of where the Birth Fact is in those chart.

That is my thought.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:24 PM

The Christen date works for the start of life if there is no birth date.
Christen is defined as naming and baptism together.
Many religions do not baptize infants, they wait until the person is old enough to know what is going on.
Alfred

#4 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

In a lot of cases I dont have a birth date but I do have a baptism date - is there any why this could be displayed instead of birth.

For some reason which I am at a loss to explain, the people who set up the standards decided that "christening" happened to infants and "baptism" happened to older children or adults. The "Christen" fact in RM will act as a substitute for birth in some places. What I have done is to convert all my infant baptisms to the "Christen" fact and changed the "Christen" sentence to read "was baptized (infant)..."

You can search for anyone with a "Baptism" fact and then convert that fact to "Christen". If the religious implications of this bother you, join the club and live with it.