4 replies to this topic

#1 iowaroots

iowaroots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

I am trying to import a database on a CD into a new file on RM4.
The file on the CD is a zipped file from an older version of RM - probably Version 3.

When I try to import it a box comes up saying "RM has encountered an unexpected error: File access denied."

But an empty file has been created, so I then tried to use the "restore" route. But a box comes up saying "file not found".

What am I doing wrong?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:29 PM

Try unzipping the file from the CD to a user folder on your hard drive. Then use RM File > Import > RM3 and select the database file in that folder.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 iowaroots

iowaroots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:49 PM

Oh thank you! That worked. I was sure it was a simple thing, but this sort of thing is not something I do every day! It appears everything is there. What a help this message board is!!!

#4 DavidHall

DavidHall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

Importing RM2 data into RM4 - I tried a lot of the databse import suggestions and none worked. I was successful exporting a GED file from RM2 and then importing it into RM4. The properties box matches exactly, so I do not think I lost any data.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

I wonder if RM5 would have done any better. Its first import option is for RM1-3. You could download the free RM Essentials and maybe bypass the problem you had with RM4.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.