• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SteveF

SteveF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:46 AM

I successfully produced my Roots Magic tree from an Ancestry.com GEDCOM but I prefer to do my research in Ancestry. Do I now have to manually update Roots Magic every time I touch Ancestry :-( or can I occasionally re-export/import a GEDCOM to update Roots Magic?
Thanks!

Steve

#2 SteveF

SteveF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:23 AM

Jeez. I thought this was a pretty simple question. Do I need to update Ancestry and Roots magic seperately from now on or can I reload a new GEDCOM from Ancestry over the RootsMagic file (without losing all my pics, etc).
Thanks,

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1373 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

Jeez. I thought this was a pretty simple question. Do I need to update Ancestry and Roots magic seperately from now on or can I reload a new GEDCOM from Ancestry over the RootsMagic file (without losing all my pics, etc).
Thanks,

Hi Will try to get this started

Personally do not up load any gedcom file to Internet
  • [too many people stealing my research and saying it is their own]
  • because it could crash and you would loose everything
  • RM4 should be your main database, ancestry maybe your backup
    if you are looking for a back up it should be your own hard drive RM4.

Being able to update from RM4 to ancestry.com & ancestry.com to RM4 is an issue. Do a search on this forum for ancestry.com you will find lots of comments.
Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3384 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

If you import a gedcom from Ancestry.com into your present RM database, you will be duplicating all persons already in that database unless you can select certain people to be included in the gedcom. You will have to do a lot of merging and clean up.

You could import the Ancestry.com database into a new database and then drag and drop just the people you added or corrected to your main database by drag and drop and then do whatever clean up is needed.

If you can choose people to include in a gedcom in Ancestry.com, you could export them and import the gedcom into your RM database and thus limit the merging and cleanup you need to do.

I don't know anything about how Ancestry.com works when replacing databases with new gedcoms. If importing a new gedcom from RM into Ancestry.com replaces the whole database on Ancestry.com, that would be the way to go.

Personally, it seems to me that it might be less work to just update the Ancestry.com database and the RM database manually when making changes.

Are you aware that you can access Ancestry.com and other research websites from within RM from the WebSearch main view?

You probably could also edit your Ancestry database from the WebSearch view in RM. Then you could copy and paste between the the RM database and the Ancestry.com database.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#5 SteveF

SteveF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

Thanks Laura. That's what I needed! Since I'm nearly complete in my basic family research on Ancestry indeed I think I'll try to work mainly within Roots. Now I need to see if the pics and census copies, etc, etc can be embedded for others to enjoy. I like your Ted Nelson quote!

Steve

#6 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

I seem to remember a questionnaire to RM users from at least several months ago. I think that one of the items may've inquired about potential interest in RM being able to sync with Ancestry.com trees.

Don't know how the results turned out or if there's been any sort of priority set based on the survey, but those types of grander plans are usually kept close to the vest. Time may tell.

#7 SteveF

SteveF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:48 AM

Now we're talking! That would be great! Of course it would have to be tested and maybe just a one way sync is best for safety. Does anyone know how to 'vote' an interest!

Thanks,

#8 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1373 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:18 PM

An excellent article in The Ancestry Insider Blog http://ancestryinsider.blogspot.com/ :) yesterday 10 Sep 2011 about gedcoms etc.

Well written. Can I get an Amen?
Genealogy:
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..

#9 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

An excellent article in The Ancestry Insider Blog http://ancestryinsider.blogspot.com/ :) yesterday 10 Sep 2011 about gedcoms etc.

Well written. Can I get an Amen?

Hmmm ... I don't see the word GEDCOM mentioned anywhere in that article. Did you mean to link to a different blog entry?

#10 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:05 PM

Now we're talking! That would be great! Of course it would have to be tested and maybe just a one way sync is best for safety. Does anyone know how to 'vote' an interest!

Thanks,

If it's synchronizing you want, you'd best get on the FamilyTreeMaker bandwagon. They already have a public beta release that has the ability for two-way sync between FTM and Ancestry Member Trees, and it looks very promising. Many are saying that this is the most stable FTM release in several years.

http://boards.ancest...yncbeta/mb.ashx
http://www.tamurajon...MSyncBeta.xhtml

Sorry to say, but at the dismal pace RootsMagic is progressing, it won't likely include a sync feature for a very, very long time. RM is still working (we guess) on bug fixes from RM4 which was released 2 and 1/2 YEARS ago.

#11 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

Hi Will try to get this started

Personally do not up load any gedcom file to Internet

• [too many people stealing my research and saying it is their own]
  • because it could crash and you would loose everything
  • RM4 should be your main database, ancestry maybe your backup
    if you are looking for a back up it should be your own hard drive RM4.

Being able to update from RM4 to ancestry.com & ancestry.com to RM4 is an issue. Do a search on this forum for ancestry.com you will find lots of comments.

I agree with most of your comments, except that an extra copy of the daily backup should be on a second disk drive. Disk drives crash. Periodic backups should go to your safety deposit box on thumb drives or CDROM if your box is wide enough. Extra copies on sibling's computers or stored with sons or daughters also work. Just think about the tornados, hurricanes, fires, and floods this year.

#12 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:30 AM

Hmmm ... I don't see the word GEDCOM mentioned anywhere in that article. Did you mean to link to a different blog entry?

Nettie, did you mean discussion of Ancestry member trees, rather than GEDCOM, in the Ancestry Insider blog post?

http://ancestryinsid...i-get-amen.html

#13 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1373 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:38 AM

Member trees and the information. Which relates to the Gedcoms loaded up by individuals. Member Trees are usually gedcoms.
Genealogy:

#14 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3384 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

Even if we could sync to Ancestry.com, there would still be the problem of cleanup unless the user is willing to accept the way the data imports into RM.

Personally, I'm not sure I see syncing RM with Ancestry.com happening.

I don't think it is as easy as Bruce deciding to sync to Ancestry and doing it. I am assuming Ancestry would have to program an API for other genealogy programs to use to sync with Ancestry as LDS has done for newFamilySearch. Some of you who are more computer savvy can probably tell me if I am wrong.

If that is so, think of the changes and bugs in nFS's API that have been made and sometimes it was quite some time before nFS could fix the API bug so Bruce could reprogram RM.

Ancestry might be worse as they are always changing things.

I don't think Ancestry is going to allow other genealogy programs to sync Ancestry.com unless they can see a profit in it.

Ancestry.com is a business and would possibly charge other genealogy programs more of a fee than it is feasible to pay to sync to their website.

One of Ancestry's big selling points for Family Tree Maker is the fact it syncs to the website.

Would Ancestry see enough profit in new subscriptions to Ancestry.com and/or charging other programs a fee to sync than they could make selling FTM as the only program that syncs with the website? Maybe or maybe not.
Laura

"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
-on various web sites-

#15 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:09 PM

Even if we could sync to Ancestry.com, there would still be the problem of cleanup unless the user is willing to accept the way the data imports into RM.

This reminds me of a question about RM4 support for NFS. I have no experience with NFS nor with the RM4 interface. But I understand (and I could be wrong) that the interface provides some level of syncing. Wouldn't RM4 have the same problem with NFS of cleanup if the user is not willing to accept the way the data imports into RM4?

Jerry

#16 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3384 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

This reminds me of a question about RM4 support for NFS. I have no experience with NFS nor with the RM4 interface. But I understand (and I could be wrong) that the interface provides some level of syncing. Wouldn't RM4 have the same problem with NFS of cleanup if the user is not willing to accept the way the data imports into RM4?

Jerry

I am not a member of LDS so cannot as yet check out syncing from nFS, but syncing with nFS would download the names, place names etc. as they are entered into nFS.

Any time you import other's information into RM whether by gedcom, direct syncing, or cut and paste whatever the source, there can be cleanup needed to fit your criteria for entry in your database if entries are ina different format from your standards.
Laura

-on various web sites-

#17 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:11 AM

I use Ancestry.com a little differently. For me it's primarily a place I stick trees to be able to share the data with other researchers. I have only a free guest account. I keep all my actual research on my computer. My issue with resyncing a tree on Ancestry with what I have in RM4 is that Ancestry lacks some of RM4's features and discards a lot of information from the GEDCOM. Also, I can't (that I know of) just reload a tree on Ancestry from GEDCOM, rather it has to be replaced. This means that every time I upload new data I have to completely redo the tree, including all descriptions, media, sharees, etc. This is why I generally only upload a tree once it's pretty complete.