8 replies to this topic

#1 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:10 AM

Somehow I have managed to get a couple in my RM database, each showing the same spouse twice. The second wife entry lists SOME of the children of the first wife entry. RM lists only one entry for the duplicated wives - ie it is the same person. If I try to 'unlink from spouse' or delete one of the wives, my expectation is that the person will be entirely removed from the database. I just need to undo the duplication of wives and the duplicated children. Any ideas please?

Don

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

If both wives have the same record number, then it is one person but linked twice.
You can unlink the wife from her husband or delete the family, without removing anyone from the database.

I have had instances where deleting one instance of a duplicate family has unlinked all instances of that family so that I had to re-link them one time, but I have never had to re-enter them into the database.

That duplicate family sometimes shows up when adding a GEDCOM and merging some people with themselves when they have existing families.
Alfred

#3 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:38 AM

Thanks, Alfred. My man is now down to one wife and family, after unlinking each of the children ascribed to the second instance of the wife, and then unlinking the spare wife from her husband. But it wasn't quite that simple. I had to relink (ie select from the database via 'add father/add mother') one ancestral couple before RM was smart enough to connect all the other downstream ancestral families. Thank goodness I had a slightly out-of-date copy of the database on a laptop, and using that I was able to spot the missing ancestral link, otherwise they would all have gone floating off into the distance! A case in point, folks; it's always good to have a backup on a different PC for cases like this.

Don

#4 DonaldP

DonaldP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

I have the same problem........there must be an easier way just to delete one of the spouses!

#5 DonaldP

DonaldP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

There STILL has to be an easier way to combine the marriage and get rid of one of the spouses!! It seems so simple, yet so complicated. Why can't RootsMagic merge the 2 duplicate people without ending up with two marriages for the same person to the same spouse! Is anyone at RootsMagic listening?????????????

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

RootsMagic likes to err on the side of ensuring all information is maintained after a merge. When facts for the individuals are not exactly the same it will create a duplicate fact on the merged person. When you add children into the mix it can cause issues with some attached to one set of parents then another. Merging is just a difficult thing. I know the RootsMagician has this on his list of items to improve.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 DocSmith

DocSmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

I was able to unlink one duplicate named spouse but it just changed into an "Unknown Spouse". I now have 3 "Unknown Spouses" linked to one person. Since these unknown spouses do not have names, there doesn't seem to be a way to unlink them, or even delete them since they don't show up in the Index of all names in my database. When I click on the unknown spouse, the "Add a Person" window comes up and only allows me to "Add NEW person" or "Select EXISTING person".

How can I delete these 3 Unknown Spouses?

Marshall Smith
docsmith@umich.edu
Marshall L. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus, Rochester Institute of Technology

Professor (Retired), University of Hawai`i @ Manoa

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

Do you see the term "Unknown spouse" only in the Spouses drop-down list at the top left of the main screen when you have selected the known person? with a child listed underneath? In that case, the child is linked to the one known parent and since the other is unidentified, the term "Unknown spouse" is used. That person does not exist in your database. The question is whether the child is incorrectly linked to just the one parent additional to or instead of being linked to the known couple. Select one of the children under this list and check its Parent count. Maybe the child needs to be unlinked from the half-couple and linked to the full couple, if not already.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2612 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

I had to relink (ie select from the database via 'add father/add mother') one ancestral couple before RM was smart enough to connect all the other downstream ancestral families. Thank goodness I had a slightly out-of-date copy of the database on a laptop, and using that I was able to spot the missing ancestral link, otherwise they would all have gone floating off into the distance!

This is an extremely non-trivial problem to fix. If it were easy to fix, them I'm sure the RootsMagician would have fixed it a long time ago.

I too am in great fear of people "gone floating off into the distance" in this situation. Therefore, I always link first and unlink second. For example, suppose you have John Doe #12497 linked to Jane Smith #10229 twice. For sure, you want to check the Record Number (also called a RIN) for each person before changing the links. And suppose that with the first link John and Jane have a child Sarah Doe and with the second link John and Jane have a child Andrew Doe. What you want is for John and Sarah to be linked only once, and for that linkage to show both Sarah and Andrew as their children.

What I would do would be to go to Andrew Doe and to do an "Add Parents" and add Andrew to the linkage where John and Jane are the parents and Sarah is the child. Then, the first linkage would have both Sarah and Andrew as children and the second linkage would have only Andrew as a child. Andrew would at this point have two sets of parents. One set of parents would be John Doe #12497 and Jane Smith #10229, and the other set of parents would also be John Doe #12497 and Jane Smith #10229, which of course is hugely confusing. So being careful to go to the John Doe #12497 and Jane Smith #10229 who still had only Andrew as a child, I would highlight Andrew and unlink him from his parents. This would unlink him from the linkage of John and Jane where they had Andrew as their ownly child.

At this point, John and Jane are still linked twice, once where they have two children and once where they have no children. So being careful to go to the linkage where they have no children, I would highlight either John or Jane and do an "Unlink spouse". At this point, all that would be left would be one linkage for John and Jane and both children would be properly linked to them. At no point in this process would anybody be completely unlinked - "gone floating off into the distance", as it were. And at no point in this process would anybody have to be deleted.

The Descendant View can be very helpful in seeing what is going on - for example set John Doe #12497 as the top person in the Descendant view. But I would always switch over to Family View for any actual unlinking.

Jerry