• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 traveler856

traveler856

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:27 PM

Could there be something I am doing wrong with To Dos and the repositories? I work on adding to-Dos. If I print a repository list right away and before I back-up and exit I have a complete list. However, when I back-up and exit and then re-open the file all of the to-dos are gone and there is nothing listed when I request a report-lists-repository list for the particular location.

It was working for me, and now it is not.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 11:37 PM

I don't get it.

What do you see if you go to the Lists menu and select "TO DO List"?
Are they gone from there too?

If not, they are still in the database and you may be selecting the wrong options for the Report > Lists > To Do list.

And ditto for the repository list.

Backing up and closing the program shouldn't have any effect on either one.

Alfred

#3 traveler856

traveler856

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 08:41 AM

I had not checked the To Do report, so here is what I found there. The Reports-Lists-ToDo gives me 35 pages of To-dos. Many of the entries are not linked to a specific person and do not include an entry in the 'who' field, nor do they have an entry giving record number. There is no link with a repository. The only identifiable information appearing is what I have typed in the task or the details. The records include priority, status, and some include 'When' entries.

Some of the older To-dos show the who and where.

When I try Reports-Lists-To Do by a single repository there is nothing from the newer inputs.

I printed a page of the 35 To-dos and checked the individual records where there is no entry in Who (but my task input showed the individual) and there is nothing under the To Do tab. The only entries that appear under the To Do tab are earlier inputs that have a name and record number showing in the 'Who' field.

I also tried Reports-Lists-Repository List - Select: xTo Do Tasks, x Open, x full details (which worked beautifully other weeks).

The information about the open tasks does appear to be in the database, but most are no longer linked to individuals nor are they linked to specific repositories.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:01 AM

TO DO tasks are a little tricky.

First of all, NEVER enter a general TO DO task. Always enter To Do tasks from the Edit person window

It is too easy to enter a general to do task, Click on the To Do icon in the toolbar and select “All to do tasks” which gets you to the same place as “Lists > To Do list” and then clicking the [New] button. DO NOT DO THAT! There are several places to enter To Do tasks, but make sure that you have a person’s name at the top of the dialog window when you enter them.

You can, if you want some general To Do items, enter a person, given name: “~To Do”, no surname so he will sort to the top of the Explorer, and add the general items to him.

General To Do items do not get exported with GEDCOM files, they have to be linked to a person. Family To Do items do not seem to get exported with a GEDCOM either, so it is probably best that you enter every TO Do item from a Edit Person window.

As for linking to Repositories and such, I haven’t done enough of that to be able to talk about it. It looks like there are an awfully lot of options in the report list dialog window to try. I think that Patricia would have a better grasp of these.

There is no way to edit a TO DO item to change a general item to a person, or family. So, about all you can do is go through the list and pick the person the item should be attached to, add a new to do item to him then copy from and delete the general to do item.

Alfred

#5 rogerroot

rogerroot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:38 AM

My ToDo's have disapeared from each individual. I can still see them if I run a report by repository. I have applied two updates to RM. Has there been a problem reported with ToDo's changing after a long time?

If I create a new ToDo, I can then see it by clicking on the yellow 'post it' button while an individual is selected. But the old ToDo's do not display.

I have hundreds of ToDo' most were carried over from Family Origins.
Roger Root

#6 Patricia

Patricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 04:27 PM

I've never had that happen. Alfred, do you think it would help if he reindexed?

#7 rogerroot

rogerroot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:15 AM

Patrica,
I tried a re-index and it did not fix the problem. Thanks for the tip.

I am thinking of starting a new thread on this message board sad.gif . I don't think older threads are being read.
Regards,
Roger

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:35 AM

I do not think that a new thread will help.

Any time a new post is made to a thread it is moved to the top of the list anyway.

I think that you have been entering the TO DO items as general items rather than personal TO DO items. It isn't too hard to get into the wrong habit.
If you click on the toolbar To Do icon, and choose "All todo tasks" a new task entered will not be attached to a person. Likewise, if you go to the Lists menu, choose To Do list and add a new task there, it isn't attached to anyone.
Alfred

#9 rogerroot

rogerroot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:37 PM

Alfred,
No, No, No, I have never created todo's using the general method. I have hundreds of todos and have been able to see them until recently. They were each linked to an individual.

Something has happened to my database.
Roger

#10 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:51 PM

Email a copy of your backup (zip) file to me, and I'll take a look.

ludlowbay@cablespeed.com

#11 Patricia

Patricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:05 PM

Roger, have you ever gedcommed out of your database and then imported the same gedcom back into it?

#12 rogerroot

rogerroot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:24 AM

Patricia,
Yes, I did a GEDCOM when I moved from Family Origins to RM. I bought RM when it was first announced, so my todo's have been working for quite a while.
Roger

#13 Patricia

Patricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:30 AM

Besides gedcomming from FO into RM when you first started, have you been exporting any gedcoms from your RM database and back into it? Have you been using any RM gedcoms for restoring your database or in any of your data management processes at all?

I use the ToDos extensively and have not lost any at all. I want to determine how you are managing your data and run some tests.

#14 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:48 AM

For RogerRoot:

After viewing your data, your database is exactly as others have surmised: Your ToDo's are "general"; in other words, they are not linked to a specific individual record. Perhaps someone else could determine if there was some way that your database became corrupted and caused the ToDo's to move from from individuals to general. I doubt it, and I also doubt that there is any way to move them enmasse.

#15 rogerroot

rogerroot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:03 AM

Patricia,
I do not remember ever adding any data to my database using GEDCOM. Once or twice I have built small gedcoms to give to other people, but never have added anything into my database using GEDCOM.

Ludlow,
As I mentioned in my e-mail, I found a backup hard drive that has my RootMagic database in good working order. Would you like me to send you a copy of that level of my RM database, the todo's are all assigned to individuals? Currently I am at my part time job, therefore I canot send it until this evening. That copy would show how I created them.

Thank you both for your help.
Roger

#16 Guest_Dori Partsch_*

Guest_Dori Partsch_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2004 - 01:09 PM

Just to let Roger know he is not alone, it sounds as if my problem is similar to his. I added To-Do tasks from each individual's screen, and twice lost batches of them, tasks that had been entered least recently. Loosing them means they showed up as General in the To-Do list, with no associated names. Seeing no simple solution and with no idea how it happened, I am currently revising the title of each task so that it begins with the individual's name (retrieved from a back-up), surname first so that they are in alphabetical order. I plan to begin each To-do task that I create from now on with the indivivual's name in the title, for I am not confident in this feature's stibility. huh.gif

I do love RM, though.

#17 Mike MacKean

Mike MacKean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:41 PM

You are not alone rogerroot and Dori Partsch!! I thought I was going nuts too!

I've also experienced the exact same problem with my To-Do list. Over a period of months, I have been methodically adding hundreds of To Do's via the RM Explorer. I have never added an item via the General To Do list.

Just recently I used the To Do report to list my tasks for each repository. It looked fine. Then a week or so ago, I ran another list report, only to find they To Do's were no longer attached to individuals, but all shown as General To Do's instead!!! unsure.gif

Imagine how frustrated I was? I read the RM book for clues, and convinced myself they must've been recorded them as General To Do's all the time. But why do my old reports clearly show them to the contrary? And any added via Edit Person were still shown against the individuals too? I spent the best part of 3 days deleting all the ones I couldn't attribute to individuals, and reattributing the ones I could. Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. Ive got 53 pages of them!!!!

#18 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:16 PM

Sounds like its time we heard from the programmer on this one .....

#19 Patricia

Patricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:38 PM

If you have added ToDos for the family (instead of the individual), I discovered they will not export in a gedcom. So until that problem is fixed, I would advise that you not export and import any gedcoms of your database with the idea of backing it up that way. The ToDos added to the individual (instead of the family) have exported and imported okay and have not come unlinked. I never add ToDos through the explorer, but open the individual edit screen and add them there. (Although it shouldn't matter how or where you add them, they should export and import and not come unlinked.) I personally have never had any ToDos come unlinked so far.

#20 Dori Partsch

Dori Partsch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:09 PM

It's a comfort to know that others have experienced this problem (misery loves company rolleyes.gif ). And thanks, Patricia, for your comments about To-Do's and how GEDCOM handles them.

Two observations I made while in the To-Do list screen editing the titles:

1) I was looking for any pattern to explain which tasks had remained attached to the individuals and which had become General. I found about a dozen tasks with random opening dates that did not detach when the others all around them (date-wise) did. I could not discern any pattern.

2) After editing a title and closing the task, the "focus" (as recently defined in the RootsWeb RM mailing list) remained on the "Edit" button. Sometimes, clicking (using mouse) on another task title would return the focus to the list of tasks, other times it would take clicking on one task and then another to get the focus off the "Edit" button and back to the list. Usually two tries would do it; occasionally it took three tries.

~dp