17 replies to this topic

#1 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

I've read this post aout RM indexes, RTF files and opening them in Word.
I'm trying to follow the directions posted by Bocito. I get as far as creating a narrative in RootsMagic 4.1.2.0. It creates an index in RTF format. I can open the RTF file in WordPad, but the index is in one column (I had chosen 3 columns in RM when I created the narrative report in the Create a Book feature).

I do not have Word. I opened the RTF file in OpenOffice Writer. But the narrative text does not appear, nor does the index. All I see are these words at the top, in a header:
Index of Names 13 August 2011

Curiously, I don't see those words in the RTF file. The RTF has several pages of information. None of that is showing when opened in OpenOffice. How can I open the RTF file with OpenOffice?

What I'm trying to accomplish is to update a book I made in RM from several versions ago. In the old version, the index was a dark gray page where I could right click and update the index. I'm not seeing any dark gray index in the new version.

I want to insert several new narrative reports of descendants into my book. I want to be able to update the index of names and page numbers. It's looking like none of that is going to be possible.

Another question: I checked out the text page that can be added to books in RM "create a book", but there are no formatting tools. A picture cannot be added. So I tried adding a Cover Page to add a photo. Text can't have any hard returns and it's very limited as to where text can be placed. I guess the create a book feature is a simple way of making a book as I can't get it to do what I want.

Thanks
~ Debbie

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

I've read this post aout RM indexes, RTF files and opening them in Word.
I'm trying to follow the directions posted by Bocito. I get as far as creating a narrative in RootsMagic 4.1.2.0. It creates an index in RTF format. I can open the RTF file in WordPad, but the index is in one column (I had chosen 3 columns in RM when I created the narrative report in the Create a Book feature).

I do not have Word. I opened the RTF file in OpenOffice Writer. But the narrative text does not appear, nor does the index. All I see are these words at the top, in a header:
Index of Names 13 August 2011

Curiously, I don't see those words in the RTF file. The RTF has several pages of information. None of that is showing when opened in OpenOffice. How can I open the RTF file with OpenOffice?

What I'm trying to accomplish is to update a book I made in RM from several versions ago. In the old version, the index was a dark gray page where I could right click and update the index. I'm not seeing any dark gray index in the new version.

I want to insert several new narrative reports of descendants into my book. I want to be able to update the index of names and page numbers. It's looking like none of that is going to be possible.

No matter what software.... I did File\Open changed the file type to Rich Text Format(*.rtf) and then clicked open and it worked.

Opened a .rtf file in OpenOffice.org Writer
When I tried to do just the index it did not generate. Known issue is that .rtf files do not always work in other software. :blink:
But... I did the whole file of a Narrative Report it did download into OpenOffic, with endnotes, bio., index and place name index.
Was able to go from one column index to three column, did not try the update feature. Have not figure out how to find the functions in the file. Yet think I found it but need to play with it a little. :)

One solution, I have Word 2003 and could take your .rtf files and fix them for you. I do know what its like to be frustrated with software issues. If the files are too big, can open up my dropbox folder for you to put in. :)

Another question: I checked out the text page that can be added to books in RM "create a book", but there are no formatting tools. .......making a book as I can't get it to do what I want.

Thanks

Do not use the Publisher or Book function so can't answer this section.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

Debbie, if all else fails and you have a public library near you, you might check to see if it has Word on its computers that are available for public use.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

You can also purchase off eBay and Amazon.com older version of Microsoft Word. I have Microsoft Office XP (2002) and it does what I need it to.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

But... I did the whole file of a Narrative Report it did download into OpenOffic, with endnotes, bio., index and place name index.
Was able to go from one column index to three column, did not try the update feature. Have not figure out how to find the functions in the file. Yet think I found it but need to play with it a little. :)

Thanks for offering to fix my files, Nettie. But I've got to get this working on my own computer somehow. I'll see about getting Word. But I can't see why OpenOffice won't work for me.

Nettie, when you created a RootsMagic narrative report with an index, did you save it as an RTF file? What did you do next, to open it in OpenOffice?
I tried (in OpenOffice), and did File > Open, found my RFT file and opened it. Still nothing is there but the header.
~ Debbie

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:45 PM

Nettie, when you created a RootsMagic narrative report with an index, did you save it as an RTF file? What did you do next, to open it in OpenOffice?
I tried (in OpenOffice), and did File > Open, found my RFT file and opened it. Still nothing is there but the header.

File\Open changed the file type from All Files (*.*) to Rich Text Format(*.rtf)

Leaving it to All Files (*.*) would not let the full file come in.

Yes I saved it as a .rtf file.

Genealogy:

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:42 AM

Remember that the rtf specification is Microsoft-based, so it's possible that other companies' products aren't implementing it consistently:

http://forums.rootsm...otnotes-missing

GEDCOM anyone?!

#8 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

File\Open changed the file type from All Files (*.*) to Rich Text Format(*.rtf)

Leaving it to All Files (*.*) would not let the full file come in.

Yes I saved it as a .rtf file.

Hmm.. that's exactly what I did, too.

So, when people are using Roots Magic's create a book feature, are they saving their files as RTF and printing books from that? When I open the narrative report with index in RTF, the 3 column index I selected is instead, one long column.

When I click an underlined page number in the index, it does not take me to that person's name in the RTF document. I know I saw Bruce demonstrating this on a how-to video, but it's not working like that in RTF.
~ Debbie

#9 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:13 PM

Hmm.. that's exactly what I did, too.

So, when people are using Roots Magic's create a book feature, are they saving their files as RTF and printing books from that? When I open the narrative report with index in RTF, the 3 column index I selected is instead, one long column.

When I click an underlined page number in the index, it does not take me to that person's name in the RTF document. I know I saw Bruce demonstrating this on a how-to video, but it's not working like that in RTF.

hmm will check this afternoon.
Later on:
Your right there is no formula for indexes in rtf in writer.openoffice.org I guess I am lucky having Word cause it works in word.

So you have some choices to make. Like the suggestion to go to a public library or a college library to use what they have for a word software package.

Genealogy:

#10 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

hmm will check this afternoon.
Later on:
Your right there is no formula for indexes in rtf in writer.openoffice.org I guess I am lucky having Word cause it works in word.

So you have some choices to make. Like the suggestion to go to a public library or a college library to use what they have for a word software package.

Thanks for checking it out, Nettie.

I'd wish for a feature that RM would let us save books and reports as OpenOffice files. :)
~ Debbie

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:41 AM

I'd wish for a feature that RM would let us save books and reports as OpenOffice files. :)

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#12 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:35 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

I'm saddened to see that my request to save books and reports as OpenOffice files didn't make it to RootsMagic 5 version.
~ Debbie

#13 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:02 AM

I'm saddened to see that my request to save books and reports as OpenOffice files didn't make it to RootsMagic 5 version.

I see a lot of loyal users are disappointed by lack of requested enhancements appearing in RM5

#14 APerson

APerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

I see a lot of loyal users are disappointed by lack of requested enhancements appearing in RM5

I'm extremely disappointed too. I wonder how many others are going to continue to use RM4. It's really sad. Posted Image

#15 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

It's difficult to know if a lot of loyal users are upset with RM5, and if so, to what extent, since an extremely small percentage of all RM users actually post here regularly on the boards. In addition, those who are the most unhappy with a product or service are generally the most vocal, while others who are satisfied or less unhappy don't typically speak up or are less motivated to do so.

Obviously, the company will gain somewhat of a level of understanding of satisfaction/dissatisfaction with RM5 based on the number of units sold and feedback through its various channels.

#16 Candy

Candy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

Since I am still dissatisfied with RM4, cannot 'trial' RM5 other than RM Essentials (which does not allow you to try the various reports and features that others have been commenting on), I more than likely will not move from RM3. To me, it looks like RM5 is still loaded with a lot of bugs, besides those from RM4. Consistency in all phases of a program is very important to me with my genealogy.

If I find the need to do any upgrading of a software program, I will probably be looking at something other than RM in the future. A lot of my reasons for this are because of the long periods of time between updates and the fact that the reported bugs have not been fixed and yet a new edition has been released. That gives me the impression that the quality is being sacrificed just to have a new edition on the market.

I believe in the past there have been requests for an 'everyone report' yet I have not been able to find it in RM. In the past few weeks, I have, however, found a program that will do just that. It is marketed by behold.com and has a reasonable cost to it. Other suggestions have been placed in the 'tracking' system but have never materialized in any of the updates or even the new RM5.

Makes for a disappointed program user.
Candy

~~ In a perpetual state of not knowing if I'm coming or going.

#17 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

Candy, to what kind of everyone report are you referring? For example, you can produce an Individual Summary report for everyone in the database with their information, but I suspect that you're talking about something else based on your comments.

#18 Candy

Candy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Candy, to what kind of everyone report are you referring? For example, you can produce an Individual Summary report for everyone in the database with their information, but I suspect that you're talking about something else based on your comments.

The 'everyone report' that I referenced includes everyone in the entire database, with links throughout the document to the actual information. In my database, I have roughly 6600 people. That generated an 'everyone' report of over 2000 pages, showing how each was linked to the rest in the database.
Candy

~~ In a perpetual state of not knowing if I'm coming or going.