1 reply to this topic

#1 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

Sometimes, we have children that are linked to a parent or parents other than their birth parents.

On the Edit person screen of the child, we can choose the relationship to each father or mother the child is linked to.

Open the Edit person screen for the child and highlight the parents. If the child is linked to more than one set of parents, highlight each set of parents in turn and choose the father and mother relationship..

In the right pane, you will see 2 drop down menus, Relationship to father and Relationship to mother.

The choices are Birth, Adopted, Step, Foster, Related, Guardin, Sealed, Unknown. Birth is the program default.

On the Family View screen, on the far right of the line with the child there is a column named Relation. You may have to close or resize the Sidebar to see it.

This shows the relationship of that child to each parent, husband-mother. i.e. step-birth. If both parents are birth parents, it will only show Birth.

This selection is a quick "for your information" feature and doesn't print or show up any where but on the Edit person screen or the Family view screen. So you need to explain why you have that child linked to non Birth parents somewhere in the child's record.

You can enter the explanation in a note or use a user defined fact or, possibly, the program defined Miscellaneous fact.

This selection may some day print in reports as you can mark that relationship as Private.

This feature is covered in Help, Index, Editing an Individual.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

I expect there to be some further use of this relationship to parents in the next version of RootsMagic.
Of course, I could be wrong, but I think that Bruce put that relationship to parents thing in here for some reason other than the dead end it seems to be now.
Alfred