• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 barnesy

barnesy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:50 AM

I have just come back from the uk with a gedcom file of my sisters family tree - both of us have a lot of the same information but both have a lot of new things

Is there a way to import the data without doubling up on names and information

I am using Rootsmagic version 4

Many thanks

Lynda :D

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:51 AM

You could simply import her Gedcom into your database and use Duplicate Search Merge but that will undoubtedly result in a confusing mess to clean up. However, it might be a way to speedily find the uniquely different persons but do so in a copy of your database with a different name that you can throw away when finished.

Safest to import her Gedcom to a new database and with hers and yours open side by side, drag and drop one unique person at a time (or one new family) into yours and link them into your tree.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:35 AM

Firstly I would reconcile the Place List as any minor even punctuation differences here will result in duplicate facts.

If you do decide to reconcile make sure to stanp every event with a source so you know which database it originated from.

There has been long promised improvements to the merge process so may don't rush to merge them just yet as Tom suggested.

Read the link below for some place related problems then there will be source issues as well.

http://www.vyger.co....rge-issues.html

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root