1 reply to this topic

#1 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

Suppose you would like a report showing color coded early deaths in your family tree. For some arbitrary reason, you want to highlight deaths occurring from age 30 to 39. It takes far less time to try this technique than to document how to do it.
1] Go to Tools and select Color code people
2] Select Clear all colors and click OK. WARNING! Note that those users who have created a permanent complex color coding scheme will want to do this on a copy of their permanent data base.
3] Go to Tools and select Color code people, Keep the default color Red or change it as desired
4] Click on People selected from list, click OK
5] Click on Mark group
6] Click on Select people by data fields
7] Select field death
8] In the second block, select age
9] In the 3rd block, select greater than or equal
10] In the 4th block, enter 30 to establish the lower limit
11] On the next line keep and in the leftmost block
12] Again Select field death
13] Again select age
14] Select less than or equal
15] Enter 39 to establish the upper limit
16] Click OK RootsMagic will display the count of marked individuals
17] Try a pedigree report. Any ancestors with a death age from 30 to 39 will be color coded Red.
18] Try a narrative report for ancestors. Again ancestors with early deaths will be will be color coded Red.
19] Try a narrative report for ancestors and children. Early deaths of aunts and uncles at each generation will be colored Red in addition to direct ancestors.
20] Try a wall chart showing multiple generations. Early deaths will be will be color coded Red.
After trying the above steps, it is possible to make a new selection for deaths occurring from age 40 to 59 or other non-overlapping age ranges. Remember to change the color from Red. I have not tried more than two colors.
21] Suppose you want to color code people with a death fact and no burial fact.
The selection key would be:
Death exists is True
And Burial exists is False

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

I used this search to get only my Ancestors who died between the ages of 70 and 79:

Mark group:

Highlight the person you want the Ancestors for

Click on Mark group, Ancestors of highlighted person and choose Direct Ancestors only and Generations.
Click on OK

Click on Unmark group, Clear people by data fields:

Enter the search criteria of:
Birth exists is False
OR Death exists is False
OR Death age less than 70
OR Death age greater than 79

I used this search to get a Group of all my female Ancestors that died before they were 50:

Mark group, Ancestors of the highlighted person as above

Click on Unmark group, Clear people by data fields:

Birth exists is False
OR Death exists is False
OR Sex is Male
OR Death age greater than 50

Highlighting each person in the Group one by one and checking the last child's birth in the Family view, I found one Ancestress who died the same day her last child was born. Since I had never realized that before, I added a new note to her death fact.

Just remember that when you are using Unmark group, you want to use criteria that is the opposite of the criteria you would use to mark the people you want. Sometimes that takes a little thought or trial. :)